Turn Indicator Mod

lasertip

Alright so I've got this idea to mod the turn indicator.

Currently the turn indicator looks like this:

photo4081161036pm.jpg

I was thinking that it could be possible to open the mirror assembly, remove the filament globe and replace it with an amber smd strip like this one

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Flexible-Amber-15-LED-SMD-Waterproof-Car-Light-Strip-SE-/200597978363?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb4923cfb#ht_2712wt_905

So that it would look like this:

photo4081161020pm.jpg

Edit: Forgot to mention, load resistors may be required to prevent hyperflashing

What do you guys think? :whistling:

Would it be difficult to open the side mirrors without damaging the electrical components that control the direction of the mirrors?

A little off topic here, I got a set of 1 smd LED T10s from japan for around 20bucks. Of similar brightness to the philips ultinon LEDs.

Just installed them in the parkers. Let's see how long they last.

photo1081185029am.jpg

Edited by lasertip

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once you remove the cover you will find the indicator lens should have two screws holding it to the cover. Once separate, the lens and its backing are generally fixed or glued together. You may be able to easily separate them but i highly doubt it. Cracking the lens is very easy to do. I suggest a light and repeated dremel'ing around or below the join to separate the two halves and to gain access to the inside. Then silicon-ed back together once completed

I would also opt for 5050 SMD's. If you go for 5050 strips, probably white back densely populated ones, not the standard issue strips would be the best to use. Or make your own custom board...

Did you get that indicator shot in one go?

I could see myself standing there trying to match the blink with the camera :P then given up and done something else...

I would also opt for 5050 SMD's. If you go for 5050 strips, probably white back densely populated ones, not the standard issue strips would be the best to use. Or make your own custom board...

Good idea. I was thinking that they might look a little ugly with all the markings on the back... but then again it needs to be bright enough

Did you get that indicator shot in one go?

Hahaha yes actually I did. Sorry to disappoint you ;)

Just keep in mind that your car will be unroadworthy ... and you will never see the result.

You reckon? Say if I use 5050SMD strips with appropriate load resistors to prevent hyperflashing?

I have a set of LED DRLs with 5050SMDs and IMO the visible brightness of the turn indicators and the LEDs are quite similar.

Of course, it's not taking into consideration the sensitivity of the human eye to different wavelengths etc... but are you certain that it would be unroadworthy?

You reckon? Say if I use 5050SMD strips with appropriate load resistors to prevent hyperflashing?

... but are you certain that it would be unroadworthy?

The E1 mark on the lens shows that it is an ADR 6/00 approved item:

8d77be50.jpg

The "authorities" could put it into the same basket as hyper blue headlamps (needs ADR 51/00 approval) or HID kits on a car without auto-levelling lamps and headlamp washers (requires ADR 46/00 approval).

Getting a LED globe of the same type as the original shouldn't be a problem. You should be aware that changing how the reflector and lens work together, with your mod, could impact on an insurance claim ...

"Could impact"... these words sound surprisingly like something someone said to me while they pulled me over in a carpark once...

For someone to pull you over, fine you, defect you or even notice your indicators are in fact more visible and slightly different than OEM is a bit of a stretch...

Getting a LED globe of the same type as the original shouldn't be a problem. You should be aware that changing how the reflector and lens work together, with your mod, could impact on an insurance claim ..

Using and LED globe in the same reflector would indeed change the output and the dispersion of light in the reflector on its own, No LED on the market thus far provides the same radial output as a halogen bulb. Given there are many multi output LED/SMD bulds out there, they still produce a linear output with more hot spots of output...... I cant see how this would be any different to the proposed modification.

A little off topic here, I got a set of 1 smd LED T10s from japan for around 20bucks. Of similar brightness to the philips ultinon LEDs.

Just installed them in the parkers. Let's see how long they last.

photo1081185029am.jpg

Do you think these would these make good license plate lights?

Can you give me a link of where I can buy them :)

... but are you certain that it would be unroadworthy?

The E1 mark on the lens shows that it is an ADR 6/00 approved item:

The "authorities" could put it into the same basket as hyper blue headlamps (needs ADR 51/00 approval) or HID kits on a car without auto-levelling lamps and headlamp washers (requires ADR 46/00 approval).

Getting a LED globe of the same type as the original shouldn't be a problem. You should be aware that changing how the reflector and lens work together, with your mod, could impact on an insurance claim ...

Sounds reasonable. Thanks dude. I've learnt something today :P

"Could impact"... these words sound surprisingly like something someone said to me while they pulled me over in a carpark once...

For someone to pull you over, fine you, defect you or even notice your indicators are in fact more visible and slightly different than OEM is a bit of a stretch...

Speaking of which, I ordered 8000k HIDs instead of the intended 6000k (sigh, me and my careless mistakes). A little too blue for my comfort. I hope that the cops don't think otherwise...

Do you think these would these make good license plate lights?

Can you give me a link of where I can buy them :)

Sure. I got them from autobacs japan http://www.autobacs.com/index.html

I don't know how you're going to import it but it's there for you.

They'll make good number plate lights alright but I would recommend the standard 5smd china ones. Much cheaper.

The reason that higher quality LEDs are used in the parker lights is because the parker lights are rather difficult to access.

Since SMDs are very sensitive to voltage changes and tend to blow easily, having to replace blown parkers every 2 months is going to be a major pain in the a**.

However, number plate lights are alot easier to access.

Personally, I use standard 5SMD T10s all around my car, with the exception of the parker lights. Much more economical. I've been using the china ones for more than a month and still going strong. Yet to blow on me :yahoo:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-5-SMD-LED-White-T10-W5W-194-Wedge-Light-Bulbs-12V-/180687131643?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a11cad3fb#ht_3096wt_1139

1.34AUD as opposed to 20bucks ;)

How legal are after market HID's?

As long as they are not stock, they're illegal. With regards to whether you'll get pulled over and defected, it's just your luck.

From what I've heard, some guys with super blue low beams have been driving around for years without getting defected while others with white HIDs get defected.

Installation is very simple but you have to be prepared that there's some chance of getting pulled over one unfortunate night.

How legal are after market HID's?

As long as they are not stock, they're illegal. With regards to whether you'll get pulled over and defected, it's just your luck.

From what I've heard, some guys with super blue low beams have been driving around for years without getting defected while others with white HIDs get defected.

Installation is very simple but you have to be prepared that there's some chance of getting pulled over one unfortunate night.

yeah, i got defected, no fine though luckilly

if you are to install after market HIDs you need an "auto levelling device" or "high pressure regulators"

So there's also a chance of the insurance companies denying payout if you get into an accident or something because the car is technically unroadworthy...? That's a worrying thought.

Everything is all a possibility. I have a tendency to drive 10km/h over the speed limit risking the possibility of getting caught. It all comes down to you at the end of the day.

I always carry a set of halogen bulbs in my glove box. Been caught once before and told I can't drive the car anywhere until it was fixed. I popped the hood, swapped the bulbs out and said "fixed". That was back in 2005 in my SV21 Camry with reflector headlights though. I was irresponsible back then and didn't think of how stupid HID's in reflector housings were.

At least now I try to take care to make sure what I do is not going to affect other road users. With the HID's in the Aurion projectors, they aren't glaring to other road users in normal driving situations. If they were, I would be adjusting the aim to compensate. It probably won't save my behind if they got checked as part of an insurance claim, but I guess that's a bridge to cross if I get to it.

Scenario 1 - turn indicators

INSURANCE COMPANY: Dear Sir, although you had right of way, the driver of the other vehicle could not see your turn indicator. As your vehicle did not comply with motor vehicle standards, we hereby deny your claim.

Scenario 2 - HID Kit

POLICE: As a direct result of your vehicle modifications not meeting motor vehicle standards, Mr Blank (oncoming driver) was unable to see the road hazard/bend in sufficient time to respond, resulting in the death of one of the vehicle occupants.

These may be severe examples, but once you do a police accident investigation course, you see how such small things can be so bad.

Insurance companies will do absolutely anything to get out of paying a claim...

If they can find one tiny bit of evidence that you have failed to comply with their policy, they will try and do everything to knock you back!

If you're willing to take the chances then by all means go for it, as long as you're willing to accept the consequences should the inevitable happen one day.

Another possible modification could be to leave the existing turn indicator globe in place but attach the SMD strip beside it, and join it in parallel with the filament glove.

I'll probably never do it though. Too much trouble and after reading the rather disturbing contents of the above posts, bleh :(

6000k HIDs should be coming in within a week or 2. Shouldn't be much of a problem driving with my 8000ks as it doesn't stand out that much due to the projectors. Besides, I hardly ever drive at night.

Edited by lasertip

The only modification to my car is the 6000K 35w HIDs. I am not trying to prove anyone wrong or something but all i got to say is i have had HIDs on my 2002 Camry and now on this Aurion and I find the hids put on properly adjusted projector lenses just doesnt harm oncoming traffic as much as even the standard halogens do..i get blinded by halogen lights most of the time because the light beam is always flooding...People are just in the impression when they see HIDs its the worst thing ever. HIDs on normal reflectors is a mess and I agree because I used to have it that way but on projection lenses its perfect. Aurions especially have some of the smallest projection lenses i have seen on cars and its vitually just two dots in the dark you see when you are oncoming towards it. Definitely not the same as what you experience when you are facing a car with HIDs on normal reflectors.

Even with automatic levelling its impossible to stop every bit of the glare you get from oncoming cars due to the uneven level on roads. I see it everyday.

Edited by Vijith555

I thought that with projector lenses designed for Halogen globes, the light is still scattered upwards from the horizontal and is still aimed in the centre?

While a proper HID projector has a sharp beam cut off and is lower on the right then on the left...

I thought that with projector lenses designed for Halogen globes, the light is still scattered upwards from the horizontal and is still aimed in the centre?

While a proper HID projector has a sharp beam cut off and is lower on the right then on the left...

I get a very sharp cut off with my projector lens and there is zero scattering of light. The only difference is i dont have automatic levelling on mine. I dont see a difference between the HID level and cut off when compared to the Presara which originally comes with HIDs. Looks like Toyota uses the same lens on both.

I get a very sharp cut off with my projector lens and there is zero scattering of light. The only difference is i dont have automatic levelling on mine. I dont see a difference between the HID level and cut off when compared to the Presara which originally comes with HIDs. Looks like Toyota uses the same lens on both.

That's weird, that would mean that the original Halogen lights aren't focused properly if using true HID projectors... The lights on my Camry are focused in the middle of the road, while HID lense lights go everywhere with only the top and right sides being chopped off.

I just read a while back about an owner of an IS250 wanting to chuck in HID's and everyone told him that they had a different cut off to Halogens...

EDIT:

Here was the thread: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1445692

An IS250 owner tried to convince everyone that the Halogen & HID reflectors are the same but quickly got shot down.

I was looking at getting some HID's when I first got my Camry, but with all the legality issues it just seemed to much of a hassle.

Found some pics!

True HID Projector - Extremely sharp cut off (Halogen bulbs wouldn't be focused properly if used with these projectors. Note: The cutoff would be reverse for our roads)

onex-hid-cutoff-line-step-6.jpg

Halogen Projector with retrofit HID - There's still upward scatter, horizontal from the horizon as the lens is focused in the centre for use with Halogen bulbs.

aftermarket.jpg

TBH, I don't get glared that much from halogen projector HID's, it's the high as 4x4 with reflector HID kits that are annoying.

Edited by Harlo

i am a bit confused from what you are saying. In my case when I had H11 halogens on my projector lenses I had a nice cut off which is what you usually get on the aurions with halogen bulbs. And once i installed the HID bulbs its pretty much the same cut off heights only much brighter and more distinct than before. With HIDs I can now see the light spread in a perfect height and does that nice triangle like formation to spread the light on the left and right sides which maintaining the height. When you say top chopped off you mean the beam is only about the height of a person's knee right? well thats right. Is your camry factory fitted with HIDs? And I am not sure if if the Lexus is got different lenses.