Brake fluid

ZR6_AurionT

Well, 60,000k service is coming soon so I will be require to flush the brake fluid.

It may sound stupid but I am trying to stick with yellow color brake fluid.

I am pretty sure PBR brake fluids are blue and I have no clue about other brands.

Has anyone used Pennzoil, Motul, Castrol or other brands? If have, would you mind sharing the color of the brake fluid?

And, has anyone used other then DOT3 such as DOT4 or Synthetic?

Have used Penrite 525 brake fluid (yellowy clear) and it was fine.

Just did a flush today (had to replace the crush washers on the calipers) and couldn't find any 525 so I bought some Castrol SD4 (yellowy clear) instead. Seems to work fine.

Have a read from the "stupid thread" post 970 onwards -

You can use Dot 5.1 NOT Dot 5 but i doubt you will notice any increase in performance for everyday driving.

Penrite SIN break fluid is popular here on the forum. It's a Super Dot 4 break fluid. If that's too expensive then Castrol Super Dot 4 break fluid will be more than enough.

Castrol DOT 4 is clear/yellowish and works just as well as any others.I would suggest use the type that Toyota specify, obviously brand is up to you.

Edited by trentmeyer23

In case you didn't pick up on my input via the above link from "A Buff Hamster", I shall quote it here (was on page 50):

my resevior says "dot3 only" but the bottle says super dot 4. i've been reading and reseaching abit and i found that its ok to interchange as long as you flush it clean. but i think thats only for cars with no abs... what about our sportivos with ABS. will it affect anything? i really wanna change from the genuine which isnt really highly temp rated...

This whole Dot 3 and Toyota thing is certainly an interesting subject. You have people on both sides of the discussion, so it's up to you where you want to stand. Here is some discussion prepared earlier:

Status Update (thank f*** for Google Search):

di-4131029477313.jpg

That link above for easy clicking: http://www.penriteoil.com.au/tech_pdfs/87_DOT 3 and DOT 4.pdf

BTW: Penrite SIN is a yellow colour.

Thank you all. It looks like most of the brake fluids are yellowish color, except PBR.

The "Stupid Thread" really helped. And Dot3 and Dot4 issue is very much clear.

So I might go for Penrite SIN Super Dot 4 this time. :)

As you can see from DJKOR's post I’m using TRD's BF-5 High Boiling point Brake Fluid. It's white in colour and completely 100% compatible with the Aurion’s brake package.