WORK LAPTOP JUST DIED.. HELP!

JJCRU23R

HEY GUYS,

ive got a toshiba laptop which Ive had since june last year. Had no major issues up until tonight! When I turn it on, The Toshiba logo pops up as normal but only lasts about a second and a half, then it shuts down like the battery has died. Sometimes the power light flashes repeatedly very fast... but its basically just become a big paper weight at the moment.

If you know what the problem is, please let me know!

I bought it at ***** smith last year but i dont have my receipt. Im expecting them to have something saved in their computers at the store.. (some places I know do that, but would ***** smith?)

Does the computer die when plugged into the AC power? If it does, then I would say there is more to the problem. If it does not, then the battery memory may be the cause and needs the memory reprogrammed or battery replaced.

If you paid by credit or debit card, then the transaction on your account should be sufficient for ***** Smith to track down the transaction. If it is within or out of warranty, they will most likely refer you to Toshiba. Give Toshiba a call first and see what they say.

Try taking the battery out of the laptop and without the AC adapter plugged in, hold down the power button for ten seconds. Some laptops have safety switch sort of mechanism built in to protect the laptop from things such as surges when plugged into powerpoint. Ive had some trouble before with laptops and this method has worked for me :D

Took the battery out n tried to power up with the main power cable only, but I got more or less the same. toshiba logo appears so it seems as though hard drive is intact and loading as normal but the machine cuts off after less than 2 seconds.

Could be that the charger has died and its not charging the battery, this happened to my daughters HP laptop so we tried another charger and it worked. Sent it away under warranty and they replaced the charger and its still going strong. Good luck with it mate.

Cheers

Peter

It's probably not the charger. The thing I didn't mention before is I was at my parents place preparing stuff on the laptop for work when it ran low on charge. I didn't have my laptop charger with me so we tried out this universal charger with about 8 different adaptors and you can change the volts n stuff on it to suit... I tried it out and thought it was charging, but one of the green lights was orange.. Which was something I never noticed before. It didnt work since then! If I had only just waited til I got home

The following was copied from this forum : http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-31465-laptop-shut-off-will-not-turn-back-on

Reading the posts of different people with different brands of laptop, the solution worked for some and not others. I think if all else fails, you should contact Toshiba Tech Support.

*Take out the battery,

*Remove main supply,

*Hold power button down for 30 secs,

*Put only power supply in, do not put battery in

*Turn laptop on

*Put the battery in.

Also check out the following Toshiba Support FAQ:

When I turn my computer on, there is no display? http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/support/items/faq/74

When I try to turn my computer on, nothing happens? http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/support/items/faq/139

We used to repair toshiba's at a previous employer, you've broken it with the other AC adapter. Time to hope it's still under warranty and dont let on that you used a different charger on it.

On the old ones it was a pain as the toshiba charger connector was the same as the portable canon printers, we used to get heaps in requiring a $1200 non-warranty motherboard after being connected to the canon charger.

Edited by CHA54

i talked to a mate who used to work @ toshiba. he said that its most probebly the motherboard. If i can find the exact same motherboard, it is possible to swap it with another toshiba motherboard *same model of course* and it should work fine.

found one for $215 including postage...

the toshiba repairer website says its 330 to repair including hardware.

the local computer repairer at rooty hill said the motherboard is fried and basically pushed me to have my files transferred over to one of their laptops for $100 + the price of one of their new laptops.