Power FC Tune + dissapointing results

Hey guys, just got a tune at Pitts automotive in Brisbane today. Results are somewhat dissapointing, well actually just based on the max power reading. I was quite surprised that my readings were so low, even stock...

Here is my list of mods:

- AEM CAI

- Denso Iridium IK20 spark plugs

- Full 2.5" exhaust (Hi flow cat, straight through Magnaflow resonator and straight through Magnaflow Muffler)

- ES Engine mounts

Running BP Ultimate and serviced with Castrol Edge Sport 5W-30.

Here is the dyno graph:

image5tv.jpg

That's not that bad, you're not comparing that to advertised figure are you? They are taken from the flywheel not the wheels.

Nah... But according to alot of stock figures I've seen from others, they have been getting 113kw ATW stock... which pretty much equates to about the same max power I got from mods + power FC..

Before you go comparing dyno results, first ensure that they're all running Dyno Dynamic shootout mode which is the one you're using... Shootout mode make comparisons relatively comparable cause it goes to some lengths to 'normalise' variables giving more consistent results. If you're comparing Dyno Dynamics with/without shootout mode well then its open to the Dyno guy's calibration and adjustment which can lead to happy dynos. If you're comparing Mainline or Bosch to Dyno Dynamic then different again.

Did you check your A/F? Is it high or low? What temp was your engine at? etc etc...

Remember Dyno is just a tool to estimate your power, going in expecting X-Y-Z parts will net you 120fwkw is just silly... Sure there is a baseline but depending how good your tuner is and the sum of the parts you've used, you can get varying results.

Edited by DreadAngel

what did you expect? A powerfc wont magically give you massive top end gains. It will do more for the midrange with a good tune, and from the graph it looks like you have a substantial improvement in the midrange. An ECU on an otherwise stock engine is not a great "Bang for buck" modification.

Edited by CHA54

That mid range is awesome.

Peak numbers aren't everything. Are the numbers your comparing to from the USA? Either way there is no point comparing numbers between dynos, drag strips never lie and give a better comparison between vehicles.

Seems to be choking at 7500rpm though, probably caused by the AEM CAI.

That mid range is awesome.

Peak numbers aren't everything. Are the numbers your comparing to from the USA? Either way there is no point comparing numbers between dynos, drag strips never lie and give a better comparison between vehicles.

Seems to be choking at 7500rpm though, probably caused by the AEM CAI.

No I'm not comparing with US figures, maybe I just expected a little higher for peak that's all...

Is there anything that can be done to help with the 7500RPM choke that is observed here? without changing to an INJEN CAI..

Like if I got a bigger pod filter (K&N) or any other mods?

Thanks.

Pulled just over 162hp with a beautiful power curve made over 260nm torque cant remember exact figure left the dyno sheet at my cousins house but goes heaps better and 8650 redline... =] but need a new O2 sensor as its broken and should give it a little bit extra but very happy

o2 sensor will not give any extra power at all. It's only used for closed loop corrections at cruise and idle, not under power.

160hp would be about right on JEM's mainline

Edited by CHA54

Pulled just over 162hp with a beautiful power curve made over 260nm torque cant remember exact figure left the dyno sheet at my cousins house but goes heaps better and 8650 redline... =] but need a new O2 sensor as its broken and should give it a little bit extra but very happy

What mods do you have?

260nm of torque??

Don't our engines only produce about 181 nm or so stock?

Dyno torque cannot be compared to flywheel torque as readily as power can be...

Most of the time it is output as tractive effort anyway, which is a much more useful figure

Sorry guys just asked my cousin I made 256 ft pounds so its alot more than 260nm and full exhaust extractors cai and powerfc

Are you sure it's force.distance? Tractive effort is measured as a force, typically Newtons in SI units, and pounds in imperial units.

350mn!!!! HAHAHAHAHA. It doesn't make that much... even with exhaust and extractors and CAI - you are not going to be pulling a genuine 256 ft pound of torque at the wheels.

dyno torque figures are useless.

People seem to be forgetting that whilst power stays the same between flywheel and wheels (ignoring drivetrain losses), torque is multiplied or divided by the change in speeds through the gearbox, final drive, and the wheels themselves (since a dyno will be measuring torque on the rollers).

For example:

180Nm at the flywheel would probably equate to around 800Nm at the wheels (1:1 4th gear ratio and 4.4:1 final drive ratio, for a rough example), but that could then drop down to 400Nm on the rollers (if the wheels are twice the size of the rollers). Then take into account losses through the drivetrain (power, torque and RPM are intrinsically linked), and you can see how you might get 360Nm displayed on a dyno chart for a car only really putting out 180Nm at the flywheel.