Has anyone tinted their tail lights?

TRDLUVR

hey guys, just wanted to know if anyone had tinted their tail lights. I have a sportive ZR6 '08. so its not the clear ones...the redish looking ones.

just wanted to know is it a big job? never done it but at the same time don't wanna screw it up. Just wanna make it a couple shades darkers as not

to get in trouble with the PO PO.

thanks

hey guys, just wanted to know if anyone had tinted their tail lights. I have a sportive ZR6 '08. so its not the clear ones...the redish looking ones.

just wanted to know is it a big job? never done it but at the same time don't wanna screw it up. Just wanna make it a couple shades darkers as not

to get in trouble with the PO PO.

thanks

Hey mate, have a look here: http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/group-buys-special-offers-discounts/73681-group-buy-headlight-tail-light-%5Bgerman%5D-tinting-film-light-dark-tint.html

That might be able to give you a bit more info. I haven't had a great look at that but I'm pretty sure its closing too so be fast :P

I also have a sportivo ZR6 like yours and have "tinted" my tail lights. I did my research and found that the tint is not really that up to scratch, even asked several window tinting businesses, I was told the tint plasic film after a few months looses its quality and ends up looking cheap and tacky.. but and one of then pointed me to the direction to smash repairs.. These guys remove the lights and mix a clear coat with a lil bit of black and spray the lights, cost me 100 bucks all up and the results look AWESOME, get asked every second day about them and most of all it looks professional..

I first used the tint sheet, but the Aurion tail lights are shaped such that the tint paper creases around the bend :/

Looked really cheap.. So I bought a can of Nightshade from autobarn and that works great! Its only $15 and theres more than enough to tint probably 3 sets of tail lights.

Apparently, you should use 2000 grit sand paper and rub it over your tail light once while having cold water run over it. Then you spray a couple of coats of nightshade and that should make it glossy. (Told by a mechanic, not 100% sure)

Oh yeah, nightshade comes off easily with Methylated Spirits, so you can remove the tint any time you want :)

Like a few people have mentioned you can buy films that fit straight over. There was one half decent quality one on Ebay but i couldn’t see it at a quick look but here is another pre cut one for Aurion though.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-Corolla-Yaris-Camery-Aurion-Tail-light-Film-/170707053156?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27beeeea64

I also have a sportivo ZR6 like yours and have "tinted" my tail lights. I did my research and found that the tint is not really that up to scratch, even asked several window tinting businesses, I was told the tint plasic film after a few months looses its quality and ends up looking cheap and tacky.. but and one of then pointed me to the direction to smash repairs.. These guys remove the lights and mix a clear coat with a lil bit of black and spray the lights, cost me 100 bucks all up and the results look AWESOME, get asked every second day about them and most of all it looks professional..

that sounds really good. i'd rather give it to someone else to do. i have bought a can of nightshade but i may go and ask around...thanks

I first used the tint sheet, but the Aurion tail lights are shaped such that the tint paper creases around the bend :/

Looked really cheap.. So I bought a can of Nightshade from autobarn and that works great! Its only $15 and theres more than enough to tint probably 3 sets of tail lights.

Apparently, you should use 2000 grit sand paper and rub it over your tail light once while having cold water run over it. Then you spray a couple of coats of nightshade and that should make it glossy. (Told by a mechanic, not 100% sure)

Oh yeah, nightshade comes off easily with Methylated Spirits, so you can remove the tint any time you want :)

well thats what i went and done....bought that but the guy at autobarn scared the crap out of me with all that can go wrong. And now the can is sitting in my room for the last month. but that was going to be my plan. just spray the tail lights. i might do the paint one but only if i can get a good price if not i'll just stick to the spray. thanks for you help. i'll prolly end up busting ya chops when/if i decide to spray :unsure:

well thats what i went and done....bought that but the guy at autobarn scared the crap out of me with all that can go wrong. And now the can is sitting in my room for the last month. but that was going to be my plan. just spray the tail lights. i might do the paint one but only if i can get a good price if not i'll just stick to the spray. thanks for you help. i'll prolly end up busting ya chops when/if i decide to spray :unsure:

What did he say could go wrong? If you screw up and end up with one light darker than the other, you can just wipe it off with Metho. Unless he told you something else?

What can go wrong, personal experience.

Niteshades contains acetone, to soften the plastic and assist with adhesion. On some vehicles the particular type of plastic used in the lenses may be more vulnerable to damage by the acetone as was the case with my clear Aurion taillights, which almost instantly cracked upon the spray being applied.

Before someone pipes in and says I did it too heavily (like the suppliers accused) I further video taped myself applying the spray only to have it also crack right away. This way done as proof to the supplier who then admitted that it was a known issue and offered to reimburse me for the lights.

Only "proper" way (although it's still illegal) is to get a paint shop to apply a tinted clear coat over the lights. This is both durable and more uniform in appearance.

ive used niteshades (on my motorbike) before, but found the result to be a little too matte for my liking.

Also had a friend use window tint on foggies which seem to be holding up quite well (only been 1 month though) with much better clarity than niteshades

also, if u want the tinting film to conform to the shape of the lens, you could try heating it with a hairdrier before putting it on (not sure if it'll work as i havnt tried it myself)

+1

constantly heating it,

pretty much what steven said and on top of that if i hadn't cleaned it properly with a degreaser then it would get all blochy. he reckons its the hardest bit doing the clean up before spraying cuz if u miss a spot it ruins the lens and thats if its not uniform to begin with.

I saw a BMW with black nylon stockings over the taillights, so I tried it on my TRD. I wasn't sure since I knew it was basically ladies underwear on my car.... A week later after near constant compliments on how good my blacked out taillights look, I think I'll keep em on.

Hmm certainly a talking point about the stockings haha. Im a spray painter by trade and can tell you if you use degreaser to clean your tail lights e.g. wd40 or rp7 this wil cause streaking, fish eyes etc. As these types of degreasers are petrolium based they contain silicon. Silicon is bad. Its like trying to mix oil and water You should be using some type of wax and grease remover eg prepsol pretty much avail. At any car shop.. i paint lights for people all the time, and every time the customer is shocked at how good they look. :)

• Like 1