EBC Grenstuff

Ordered EBC greens for the front today, having to come from the UK so will take 2 weeks. The only pair of rears in the country are currently in WA.

Also getting slotted RDA front rotors - I'm going to see how the front-only upgrade goes before deciding whether I need the rears done as well (also saves me about $550).

One question though - I read here before that it's a good idea to upgrade pads before the rotors to bed them in, but the supplier today told me that existing rotors should always be machined if you are replacing pads. Any hard evidence for this or is he just playing it safe?

Ordered EBC greens for the front today, having to come from the UK so will take 2 weeks.  The only pair of rears in the country are currently in WA.

Also getting slotted RDA front rotors - I'm going to see how the front-only upgrade goes before deciding whether I need the rears done as well (also saves me about $550).

One question though - I read here before that it's a good idea to upgrade pads before the rotors to bed them in, but the supplier today told me that existing rotors should always be machined if you are replacing pads.  Any hard evidence for this or is he just playing it safe?

i would have thought that if there was nothing wrong with your rotors then no need to machine?

Go Cam,

I thought I was the only one with a passion for EBC Greenstuffs...

Where'd you order from - because Autobarn were claiming they could get some for me for my ascent.

Good choice on brake upgrade too - DBA Slotted will be my choice when I get more power ;)

Edited by Guest

If you dont want to wait for the greenstuff's, you might want to give the Ferodo DS2500's a shot, the guys at DBA recommend them, and I much preferred my last set of DS2500's over the last set of greenstuff pads I had.

Edited by rollamods

mmmmm :blink:

Some high-end shops in Melbourne stock these as well as EBC Red Stuff. I know one melbourne owner who had them over a year ago.

I had green stuff on my other car, very nice.

Well done dude, good choice.

Would like to know about the slotted RDA front rotors. Cheers. :)

Come to Melbourne one day again, it was nice meeting you last time you where here. Super Meet - what happened to NSW Vs Vic Super Meet? Topic covered ages ago.....

Ok guys....

Brakes is probably one of the areas of cars where i have not taken the time out to research read up on all the different things etc etc etc....

Other than the fact that i know about ABS and how that works, EBD and how that works and BAS and how that works but these are just mechanisms that aid in braking i dont know much about our brakes and how to improve them.....

Ive seen discussions of just changing the pads ..... then ive seen discussions about changing the rotors ...... then cross drilled vs slotted etc etc etc and ill have to say i dont know anything about this stuff so any sort of reading material would be good or if you could give me a run down that would be better ...... also i see prices that have been listed and it looks like pads + what Cameron is doing is not overly expensive and then ive seen brake upgrades that are going to cost a fortune like over 5K ..... I think it was gipper who took his performance brakes and put then on the rolla .... So i guess a run down of what are the bits and pieces you can change to improve the brakes vs what would u change entirely if money wasnt an issue would be good just so i can get an understanding and y the over haul was better vs the bits n pieces changes......

Im sure ive offered heaps to this forum so someone can take the time out to send some education my way ;) ;) ;) ;)

cheers

Bill

Go Cam,

I thought I was the only one with a passion for EBC Greenstuffs...

Where'd you order from - because Autobarn were claiming they could get some for me for my ascent.

Good choice on brake upgrade too - DBA Slotted will be my choice when I get more power ;)

Ordered from Cartorque on North Tce at Hackney, just up from the VAF hi fi place. Didn't have time to shop around, and they were a listed supplier for RDA slotted rotors so ordered the pads there too. Upgrading the rears as well was going to cost over a grand, so I'll do the fronts first and see whether the bias is ok, or whether I need to do the rears later also.

Ordered EBC greens for the front today, having to come from the UK so will take 2 weeks.  The only pair of rears in the country are currently in WA.

One question though - I read here before that it's a good idea to upgrade pads before the rotors to bed them in, but the supplier today told me that existing rotors should always be machined if you are replacing pads.  Any hard evidence for this or is he just playing it safe?

i would have thought that if there was nothing wrong with your rotors then no need to machine?

I agree with Northy ... on my Starlet, I had the brake pads changed at 100,000 kms, I asked about machining, but the dealer said only if they were damaged in some way, such as wearing the pads down to the metal backing and causing scoring on the disc.

I agree with Northy ... on my Starlet, I had the brake pads changed at 100,000 kms, I asked about machining, but the dealer said only if they were damaged in some way, such as wearing the pads down to the metal backing and causing scoring on the disc.

I second this, discs only need machining when warped or when their surface is un-even or damaged as buddha stated.

Discs should be machined only when absolutely necessary, as everytime you do it, you're making them thinner, weaker and more prone to warping as a result.

In regards to updating Rotors, Cam - I'd start with the fronts only first. In most instances upgrading the fronts alone bring worthwhile improvements to braking.

It's a pity that car makers never give brakes the effective ventilation they need, as keeping the rotors cool also brings about improvements such as more resistance to brake fade.