Sportivo... too many probs??

Hi guys!!

Thanks guys in your help of giving me infos of prices of the car!! :lol:

Since then I have spent many hours in this forum reading up on stivos.

With the photo link that has stivos, I have saved some of the pics and now they are in "My Pictures" occationally passing through my PC screen on my screen saver. :D

What a great lookin car~!!

However, I could not over look some of the problem discussed here with sportivo... :(

Correct me if I'm wrong but there seems to be quite a numerous problem with the car, like transimition problem that lot of people seems to be experiencing. And few others like noise in interior from various parts of the car...

This will be my first purchase of a car and I know nothing is perfect but little concerned with the "amount" of problem discussed here...

Does other new cars have this many problems with their cars? Is this about right?

Sorry for being a little on negative side but I'd rather be enjoying driving enthusiastically rather then been worried about the car.

Cheers!

Hey Karolla,

You'll find that even though the Stivo has various problems with the car, we all still love it. Personally I haven't had any issues with my car and it's been nothing but awesome. I'm not a "Lift" addict, but I love how the car "goes" when you need it to.

The problems that have been highlighted here aren't that huge. Transmission issues are to do with the gear cables rattling and some people not being about to shift out of 1st to 2nd smoothly during "Lift".

I haven't had any noise rattling issues in my car as yet.

But trust me, if you go on any other car specific forums, you'll find that they too have lots to say about their own car.

So after all that...I would say that if you're after a good car that is in the sub $30k mark, this is the car for you. :D

No problems with my sportivo yet (knock on wood). Been good, get 600klms out of a tank, city, freeway and lift driving. Will keep you posted if something creeps up.

I have had no problems with my despite all the mods. Remember most of the people on this forum are more likely to be fussy than the average "Joe" with their car Karolla. The car is fun to drive anything that goes wrong with it is under warranty so why worry. If you treat your car with respect and look after it, it will look after you...ie warm it up before you start giving it a hard time. I have done 17500 KM so far.

Like most people on this forum, the only real problem i've had is the break squel in reverse under light braking. It's just a annoying and embarrasing sometimes but nothing major.

I haven't had any of the problems others seem to have though (Knock on wood :D )

It all comes down to your budget Karolla :lol: The Sportivo is a great little car and a serious BFYB, and as one magazine put it not Mundane or Mundine! So if you are after a TOYOTA, practicality and fun for around +- $30,000 this would be it.

I had the same feeling you have when i was going to get the Sportivo. But in the end, i just couldn't find any other car that could match it for performance, fun, practicality and be a TOYOTA.

Alternatively, if your budget is around $40,000, i would seriously recommend the base model Honda Accord Euro @ $38,100 driveaway. It will costs at least $5000 more than the Spotivo but its got 6 speed manual, an engine that has 140kw of power @ 6800rpm and 223nm torque @ 4500rpm, hence a fat power band. The car pulls hard from 2000rpm to 7100rpm, with a torque boost at 4000rpm and a power boost at 6000rpm (You can feel the cam change there, but cutsout at 7100rpm :( ) Can do 0-100 in 8.1s (Base model manual). 1/4 mile 15.8s. Has a lot of luxurious equipment. Very very tight and quite car. So quite its like a Mercedes and the storage compartments are all luxury stuff with thick velvet type padding and makes no sound whatsoever when opening and closing them. Handles like a Type-R with very little roll but more composed. Seriously, the double wishbones are fantastic but also because the car was built to European specs. We have a Black Luxury model Euro, Automatic with 5 speed sequential ($44000) in the garage and we have had it for a year with 12000kms. It has as standard 6 airbags, HID headlights like the S2000, electric sunroof, heated leather seats, cruise control, a lot of luxurious storage compartments etc... Honda has spent a lot of time in every little part of the car to make it perfect. I can tell you this is the car i would definitely have gotten if not for my budget of around $30000.

So if you really want smething faultless, go the Euro. Forget the Type-R, it will be noisy and squeaky too. The new one will be here in a year or two if you can wait. The Accord Euro is heaps better with superslick 6 speed manual and nearly as quick as the Type-R :lol: The Sportivo is a very different car. A younger car. If you drive the Euro, you will feel like the 30s at least. So go test drive and let us know which car you gonna get :lol:

p.s. sorry guys if i have been going over and over about the Honda, but just to be fair to this new guy you know, i thought i would add my opinions :)

Thanks for the input guys!

Sorry for been a little fussy. I guess in forums the problems are frequently disscussed to get a solution then the goodness of the car.

Your suggestion and advice is much appreciated as I am a noobi about cars.

Its also nice to read about the stivos which haven't experienced some problem discussed in the forum too :P

Thanks!! :lol:

My mate has the new Honda Accord Euro Luxury.

Very very nice car! So refined and balanced and i could go on and on.

Leather and cabin is very nice.

But, the sportivo still beats in in regards to performance.

But, it is still quick for a 4cyl 2.4 ltr. 147kw.

Suspension is very comfortable, yet, confident too. His coil overs are arriving soon and will be installed within the month. Also getting the EURO R computer and cams (hopefully) this will boost it to 180kw or so. =)

Very nice car, but more expensive.

-Chris

Ive had my car now for a few months. The only niggling problem i have is the noise when rolling backwards if the pads are wet, and my left front shocker is stuffed, i have to see toyota when i get some time before i lower the car. I got the car for around $25Grand on road with toyota employee discount(21%) so i cant complain :D.