Corolla vs Volvo 850

dgg9879

According to Folksam the Corolla is average for safety based on collisions between 2 cars and the Volvo 850 is no 1(best)

Click on link below to download the safety report

http://www.folksam.se/engelsk/index.htm

According to Monash Uni analysis based on all accidents the Corolla is no 1 for safety and Volvo 850 is average.

Click on link below and then click on luxury cars and small cars.

http://www.mynrma.com.au/used_safety_ratings.asp

Which report do you think is the best indicator of overall safety,

Folksam or the Australian one? Which car do you think is safest and why?

Personally I liked the recent Wheels Magazine WASP test, that tested Australia's top selling cars in terms of passive safety.

They tested Dry & Wet Breaking, Dry and Wet Cornering (Lateral G) as well as Overtaking ability (Exposure time on the wrong side of the road).

Corolla finished 3rd overall and had the best wet breaking result. Mazda 6 finished 1st.

It gives a good indication of a car's ability to actually avoid an accident and the Corolla did quite well.

Hi,

this is a really interesting topic! :D

i think i'll go towards the uni way, for its not sure how much each insitiution is being paid or was paid, or even just to please the manufacturers.

Having said that tho, comparing the 2 cars like that is kinda strange, as they are 2 classes of cars, hence it would be saying...

"In comparison, the safety of the Volvo 850 is average compared to a Merc E55 AMG"

:D

i.e. i think then, in terms of the car's value vs. its safety, the corolla would win out, as the car is 1/3 of the cost of the 850 (if new) but it for sure exceeds 1/3 of saftey! :)

in terms of what's a safe car?!

i think there's no safe cars to be honest, but if the world was full of better drivers and people that look after their cars properly (or no drivers for that matter) then any car is a safe car! ;)

OR~ the the safest car would be a stationary one! (but then you have to worry about car bombs or the drums of desiel and fertilisers.... sigh...)

haha! :D

lets get one of each and smash them into each other, then there can only be one winner hehe

ROFL

hehe brilliance is all i can say

but whos corolla are we using im asumming yours northy seeing as though it was your idea lol

i can do the driving if your too heart broken to watch lol

• 11 months later...

I'd also read the report from Wheels Magazine and what it says about braking and wet performance is really good. 23.6m from 70km/h to 0. comparable to BMW 3 series and Honda Accord Euro of 23.4 and 22.8. Most other cars are around 27+ to 30+ metres. remember, Corolla has the skinnest tyres compared to honda, Mazda and BMW.

I always though my corolla is reliable and economical. I didn't expect it is very safe as well. haha