DIY Rear bumber lights.

Defyant

Was fitting my new sexy hybrid tail lights today and thought and noticed it would be pretty easy to do a qick little diy mod to light up the lower bar reflectors!

A few weeks prior i'd picked up a bunch of these LED flexy strip lights, 5 bux each from a stall @ parklea. the guy has all diff colours. i grabbed enuf to do doors and mirror blinkers.

Plan to go back for some more to do angel/devil eye mod.

Ended up being a really simple mod to do, razor blade some tape or hot glue and connectors to splice into your orig harness is pretty much all thats needed.

Sexy new hybrid tail lights!!! thanx to Vic :)

IMG_3710.jpg

Lower Reflector, once bar is adjar it's a simple single philips head screw and it out.

IMG_3711.jpg

The back of the unit is pretty softy plastic cast, a stanly cuts though it very easily.

IMG_3713.jpg

IMG_3714.jpg

The 5 buck LED flexy strip, why i really like this stuff is that is you can CUT it to suit the lenght you need.

IMG_3715.jpg

IMG_3718.jpg

IMG_3717.jpg

Lights up ok!

IMG_3721.jpg

I'll cut / gule them up and post up some more asap

Reserved for more pics

OK rain nearly beat me today :) so had to rush things along a bit.

Final shot of front and rear before they are both screwed back intot he rear bar.

1-10.jpg

Each side back in wired into12v on the tail lights loom.

8-6.jpg

7-8.jpg

All in all for 5 bux ( remember i cut one LED band in half and used it to make the second light) and maybe an hour's time pretty cool little light mod.

11-4.jpg

Luke, that in my opinion, sexy. I'd do it like you and sell those LEDs reflectors if I were able to DIY that myself. It would be better if you have the reflectors white, so you'll have a clean rear look, and when the lights up at night, *giggle*.. :lol:

Cheers METAL13, Vic and i were chatting about this yesterday, we'r pretty sure you can pick them up cheaper than 70 bux.

Thanks Steve :) was kinda an after thought to give it a go once the bar was down. Next mod i wanna do is another copy from you :) but i was thinking after blackening the mirror blinkers maybe use one of the orange/yellow strips of these to replace the bulb.

Cheers Vic :) it was all your idea mate :) but agree 100%, get clear reflectors and use Red led strips. your right will look perfect with the new hybrid lights.

Second post updated with some final shots :)

EDIT rain stopped Heres some proper shots!

IMG_3812.jpg

IMG_3776.jpg

IMG_3791.jpg

IMG_3812.jpg

Massive thanks to Vic for selling me the lights and the idea of the bumper lights,and a big thanks to Thomas :D cheers for the photochop pic that started it all :D

thanks mate, it looks great. I was thinking buying the light from Mars on Ebay but not sure if it will fit my 07 sx6. What is the year of model you have? Did you buy them off ebay, Sorry I am talking about the tail lights.

Nice DIY, looks just as good as the premade kits, for about 1/10th of the price.

You can get kits like those red ebay ones, but with clear housing and red LEDs, from RStyle in Thailand. I got mine through them. Same reason as above, I like the idea of the clean look of the clear lenses when they were turned off, especailly once paired with the Thai Hybrid taillights.

Out of curiosity, does law not require you to have a reflective surface in the rear of the car? Might be old laws that have changed, just thought i'd ask the question...

I doubt it. A lot of cars don't have any reflectors at all. Best example - 40 series Camry doesn't have them.

Defyant, I'm not sure of what the actual cost per unit was. I got 2 sets plus a few other things all in the same order, they didn't give me a breakdown. If you get onto rstyle's site they've got prices there in THB, they'll be that plus a bit for postage. I usually email them my order (instead of using the online store) and they email me a total price including postage.

Heres that pic. Not the best quality photo but you get the idea.

07122011362.jpg

Here's some Picture's of the red LED lamps from Thailand, the same lamps that Paradigm has on his car just the red ones. I also used water proof quick release connections should i need to remove the bumper in the future. Fair to say nobody can say they didnt see my brake lights lol

post-14878-0-82800900-1329382809_thumb.j

post-14878-0-88108500-1329382876_thumb.j

post-14878-0-78509900-1329382981_thumb.j

post-14878-0-37139000-1329383042_thumb.j

I took enuf screws out just to drop the bar away from the rear of the car..... theres a sneaky one up in the wheel arch the rest are easy to find.

Your right Adamsy, i was looking the other night and thought the same thing, it's a bit like a xmas tree from behind.

I have put my one up yesterday with help of my friends. Those screws up on the wheels just hard! I have even put one of them back yet. Will upload more photos later. I brought them off eBay from Mars. They are great.

1.jpg

I didn't take the bumper off at all to fit the taillights. I only had to take it off to fit the lower reflector replacement lights, which were done months earlier.

I doubt it. A lot of cars don't have any reflectors at all. Best example - 40 series Camry doesn't have them.

Defyant, I'm not sure of what the actual cost per unit was. I got 2 sets plus a few other things all in the same order, they didn't give me a breakdown. If you get onto rstyle's site they've got prices there in THB, they'll be that plus a bit for postage. I usually email them my order (instead of using the online store) and they email me a total price including postage.

07122011362.jpg

yeah unfortunately camry's dont , totally unfair .

I have put my one up yesterday with help of my friends. Those screws up on the wheels just hard! I have even put one of them back yet. Will upload more photos later. I brought them off eBay from Mars. They are great.

1.jpg

dixonzhai Your Car looks AMAZING mate!!! More shots pls!

07122011362.jpg

yeah unfortunately camry's dont , totally unfair .

I'd rather a clean bumper! looking around @ a few new options to try and clean the ***** end of the aurion up a bit.

Dixonzhai i dislike you greatly for two reasons lol 1. you too have a Caribbean Blue Sportivo (they only made 500) and 2. You have the clear lights. i was hoping id never see one with them in case i liked it hahahaha. Looks nice. The blue must just suit Aurion all of them modded or not just like damn nice!

Dixonzhai i dislike you greatly for two reasons lol 1. you too have a Caribbean Blue Sportivo (they only made 500) and 2. You have the clear lights. i was hoping id never see one with them in case i liked it hahahaha. Looks nice. The blue must just suit Aurion all of them modded or not just like damn nice!

This light is clear but actually has light blue color inside which fits the blue color of the car very well. Just have the car wash today and will take some photos tomorrow.

BTW, so there are only 500 of them in this color? I am so lucky then, haha just know that.

Edited by dixonzhai