How to Reset ECU

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think stock ecu has the self learning capability after you reset it or whatever.

Unless if you got piggy back ecu or stand alone ecu then you can notice the difference in power gain after you dyno tune it.

Welcome to the forum man, nice ride u got there.. a real sleeper of an EG6. Care to tell me more of your ride off topic? ;)

I dont think stock ecu has the self learning capability after you reset it or whatever.

Unless if you got piggy back ecu or stand alone ecu then you can notice the difference in power gain after you dyno tune it.

Welcome to the forum man, nice ride u got there.. a real sleeper of an EG6. Care to tell me more of your ride off topic? ;)

I tell you zee, its HARDCORE. This dude is a real racer.

more into function over fashion..

real hardcore stuff..

I tell you zee, its HARDCORE. This dude is a real racer.

With a 20A in it, no doubt.

• 2 months later...

hmm.....resetting the ECU was successful, driving like a mad bloke accomplished well. systems in the car all okay...even my power windows function normally....EXCEPT NOW....sigh....my 6 CD-Stacker. it is displaying SEC and i think it is asking me for the PIN. what do you guys think? is there a standard PIN or should i head back to the dealer? :(

On my current tank full (98 Octane) I achieved 200km's from quarter tank driving gently...

Yeah I got the same last weekend, 206km round trip and I was still above the top 1/4 marker :o

That also included a trip down Lawrence Hargrave Drive to check out the new bridge which is 60 all the way...

ktse1881 No worries bro!

i put my race pipe on and now my engine light comes on! i reset the ECU and it went away i drove for half a day and its on again?

any ideas what its trying to tell me? i looked in the book it means malfunction. but of what

this is a very interesting topic

i too notice a short time after "flooring" it that it has adjusted to that style. so des this kick out the nessesity to reset for the reason of preformance?

but on the other hand i get only 450km out of my tank. would i benifit from doing an ecu reset? i hear that some people are getting 600km, would the reset change the economy so much that ill now also be able to get 600km.

and if so does this mean that the car will drink less? when i put my foot down i want it to take as much fuel as it wants, but if im going slow i want it to be conservative.

what im asking is if there is a sacrifice for better fuel economy, meaning you cant have both?

if i do get the fuel economy to 600km with the ecu reset will it still give the same exact surge of power, the power that feels like it's sculling a beer on a hot sunday afternoon?

cheers Trav

ECUs are constantly adjusting themselves within their set parameters.

resetting ya ECU does nothing that just driving it cant.

when you clear it it wil clear the most recent adjustments. thats why it feels like it goes better after a short drive, as its actually running worse at start up and then adjusts its self back to where it was.

there is NO reference in ANY toyota service manaul that says anything about resetting an ECU except for clearing fault codes. nor do TRD suggest such a thing when fitting their parts. in fact the only place you will ever find reference to it is on the net.

i also have down a few dyno runs unpulling and resettign ecus.

without fail everytime the first run or 2 after the rest is down on the initial run, and it always restores its self back to within a coupla hp of the first one.

ktse1881 No worries bro!

i put my race pipe on and now my engine light comes on! i reset the ECU and it went away i drove for half a day and its on again?

any ideas what its trying to tell me? i looked in the book it means malfunction. but of what

That's your car's way of telling you that it's rejecting the "race pipe" and wants proper muffler. :P

ktse1881 No worries bro!

That's your car's way of telling you that it's rejecting the "race pipe" and wants proper muffler. :P

Bro the light is now off! and the car feels much better! I think the ECU adjusted itself to handling the race pipe!

I definatly feel more power in the mid rev range!

• 2 months later...

I was reading thru this post, and now im even more confused, some say reset the ECU, others say dont.

Which one do I pick?

I find my car rather sluggish and less fuel economic, would resetting the ECU really bring it back to (or even close to) what it was like when i first bought it?

Ive clocked up about 49,000km since i bought in Feb04.

If i do reset the ECU, how should i be driving between the frist 2- 300km to get good fuel economy as well as power when need it?

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=2020

(I got that 2-300km part from this thread).

I was reading thru this post, and now im even more confused, some say reset the ECU, others say dont.

Which one do I pick?

I find my car rather sluggish and less fuel economic, would resetting the ECU really bring it back to (or even close to) what it was like when i first bought it?

Ive clocked up about 49,000km since i bought in Feb04.

If i do reset the ECU, how should i be driving between the frist 2- 300km to get good fuel economy as well as power when need it?

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=2020

(I got that 2-300km part from this thread).

you cant have fuel economy and power, its either or... :(

well right now i dont think i have either. LOL

From what i gather you guys are getting like 8L/100km with some in between thrashing.

Im getting 8L/100km driving like a granny!

Ok so how should i drive to fuel economy and how to drive for power (after ECU reset).

And does ECU reset actually work???

I've tried some tests and I've found that driving like Grandpa (keeping upshifts at or below 3000rpm) and driving normally give very little difference to consumption.

I've found it's more impacted by how much A/C you use, and where you drive (How many hills to you go up/down).

I got a 2002 corolla accent..

its pushin 500km/full tank.. and i think i got either 45 or 50L tank... sooo... maths... doing around 10L/100km!!!!! WTF...

i have tried putting in all different types of fules, BP ulitmate, unleaded, premium, shell p/ul, caltex.. list goes on.. and still same consumption!!!

NOW... resetting ECU, does that allow it to get better?? do I have to drive it hard for first 50km.. or do i drive it SLOW for 50km... i just want the consumption to be around the 7's and 8's...

If not ECU, wot are the other things I can try.. eg... changing spark plugs, cleanin injectors.. or woteva...

need help.. im a student.. and this corolla is KILLIN ME!!

• 6 months later...

hey there, i was reading through a few topic regarding resettig the ECU for corollas but i wasant sure if that is going to do much difference to the car.

I got my car not long ago from a dealer so i presume the ECU would hv stored the previous owner's driving style and would it change the fuel economy if i reset it (either that or give it more power if i push it hard enuf) because i think im currently getting round 8.5L - 9L/100km and that is not that good for a corolla as some people are getting 7 - 8L/100km

Sorry for bringin up an old topic

and HI to everyone @ au.toyotaownersclub :)!