2pac paint over acrylic possible?

OK guys, question for all you panel beaters.

from my limited google research, i've come across mixed opinions about painting these two types of paint over one another. here is my story:

1) sanded back the interior plastics and got rid of the shine of the original colour.

2) sprayed it with metallic black (acrylic)

3) wasnt happy with the finish and sparkly bits so i took it back with 320 grit paper and tried to take back all the acrylic off

4) panel shop painted 2pac on (no primer) over the part

5) there is a wriggly line on the bloody corner of the part! :(

apparently to the panel beater, the glue type substance came up when he was using the wax and grease remover when he cleaned the interior bits before he painted it. the ONLY interior part affected was the gear shifter housing. the other panels i made sure all the acrylic was off before i gave the parts to him. just the corners of the gear shifter housing was hard to get the paint off so i gave up and gave it to him instead.

now would it be ok if i just sanded it back lightly and buffed and polished it up? or do i need to sand it back AGAIN :( and then have him redo the part again?

also as a general rule: is it OK to paint 2k on top of 1k or do you have to take everything back to bare plastic and prime it etc before painting it? we thought the interior parts aren't going to be exposed to the outside environment so its ok to not use 2k primer before painting it. He said if he used primer, i'd have to sand it back = more work = not necessary. so we didnt end up doing it.

thanks in advance for you input guys.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I seemed to have gotten lost in all that soz mate,

Generally as a rule you can paint either over other.

As long as the acryl paint has had time to settle.(it takes a **** load longer for acryl can type paint to dry) 2pk drys fast and settles qik.

Ive painted 2pak over acryl many times and vise versa,

Prep and clean and knock the shine off. Then prepsol before adding new paint. But if a paint shop is doing the work let them sort it out, thats what your paying for.

OK guys, question for all you panel beaters.

from my limited google research, i've come across mixed opinions about painting these two types of paint over one another. here is my story:

1) sanded back the interior plastics and got rid of the shine of the original colour.

2) sprayed it with metallic black (acrylic)

3) wasnt happy with the finish and sparkly bits so i took it back with 320 grit paper and tried to take back all the acrylic off

4) panel shop painted 2pac on (no primer) over the part

5) there is a wriggly line on the bloody corner of the part! :(

apparently to the panel beater, the glue type substance came up when he was using the wax and grease remover when he cleaned the interior bits before he painted it. the ONLY interior part affected was the gear shifter housing. the other panels i made sure all the acrylic was off before i gave the parts to him. just the corners of the gear shifter housing was hard to get the paint off so i gave up and gave it to him instead.

now would it be ok if i just sanded it back lightly and buffed and polished it up? or do i need to sand it back AGAIN :( and then have him redo the part again?

also as a general rule: is it OK to paint 2k on top of 1k or do you have to take everything back to bare plastic and prime it etc before painting it? we thought the interior parts aren't going to be exposed to the outside environment so its ok to not use 2k primer before painting it. He said if he used primer, i'd have to sand it back = more work = not necessary. so we didnt end up doing it.

thanks in advance for you input guys.

cheers

The wriggly line? it could be chemical reaction from the 2k paint touching the acrylic. best thing to do is put primer

Edited by GHOST.JO3