Drivability Issues

yeah evryone here has valid points. but the fact of the matter is the motor is supose to be driven hard not so hard the bolts fall out and you blow things up. but it is supose to be driven like a race car. if you drive it this way im sure there wouldnt be any drivability issues. if your in low end fourth gear and you want to over take QUICKLY drop it into 2nd and i garantee youll be in lift and wont have a prob overtaking.

i know its not quite right having a motor in this style of car with this motor.

but in all honesty i think toyota want to have sleepers lol

there giving the celica/mr2 the ***** and keeping the stivo.

and belive me only recently have people just started realising the sportivo as a hot hatch.

and before anyone arks up

ITS MY OPINION lol :D  :D  :D  :D

There have been a few more Stivos around where i live now, maybe because i have been racing all the V8s, WRXs and hot fours around my neighbourhood :P and people are saying Wow, a Corolla goes hard and trading in their cars for it.. and its only 1800cc hence cheap on fuel and not to mention the bonus when they find out their insurance premium! :D

Interesting read

Here's an interesting read which backs up my point about the decent drivability of Sportivos.

It's the first article that comments on the post facelift Sportivo and I think it'll shut up idiots who think that there's absolutely no torque available down low.

The Yamaha-built four cylinder twin-cam engine has been significantly retuned to improve engine response and flexibility, particularly in the mid range, without reducing its phenomenal top-end power. The induction system, engine ECU, air cleaner and exhaust system have all been breathed upon and the RunX RSi now delivers 80% of its available torque from as low as 1600 rpm, and 90% between 3600 and 6000 rpm, with the peak of 180 Nm arriving at 6800. Even at 7900 rpm, there's still almost 170 Nm on tap.
Edited by coladuna

And Azza i wouldnt be worried about being judged as a hoon, people hear my exhaust and the judgement is already upon me, so i cant dissappoint them by not slamming the rolla  :P

Btw, has anyone ever tried doing a handbrake turn in their stivo and then coming out of it in lift? I bet that would be pretty awesome...The things you think about at 2am...

You haven't heard my exhaust yet :P I have to push my car into the garage when I come home late Thursday night's from meeting the gang because it waskes my wife up with the reverb around the house.

Handbrake turn, then land in lift - almost, was sitting around 4500 - 5000 when I re-launched after turning..... ask Sportivo_Rice, I think he still has the smoke from my tyres in his car..... :P

I think the fact the Stivo is manual only confirms the fact that it has to be driven!!

With lift I find: Overtaking at 80kph- drop clutch in and rev to around 6500,downchange to 2nd, pop clutch....POW

Overtaking at 100kph- drop clutch and same, downchange to third and.....POW.

Torque is nice I admit, but if you want speed, you really need to drive the T**S of it, that's why we have over 8,000rpm to play with.

But you cant drive the titis off it and still be within the speed limit. If youre in a 80 zone, and youre doing 40, even if youre still in second, it will take a bit for the revs to build up, and by the time you rev out second youre over the speed limit. Thats what makes it a hard car to drive in certain traffic situations.

easiest way to get more mid range is to simply piggyback the ECU with a 2nd hand UNICHIP!

bang for buck it makes the car SOOOOOOOOOOO much more drivable around city streets ;) used in conjunction with a nice exhaust and intake and you have a car capable of doing low speed corners in 4th gear!!!!!! - I know this cause i've had to with my clutch of late...trying to limp it home

easiest way to get more mid range is to simply piggyback the ECU with a 2nd hand UNICHIP!

bang for buck it makes the car SOOOOOOOOOOO much more drivable around city streets ;) used in conjunction with a nice exhaust and intake and you have a car capable of doing low speed corners in 4th gear!!!!!! - I know this cause i've had to with my clutch of late...trying to limp it home

u make it sound like it will be turned into V8 low-end.

u make it sound like it will be turned into V8 low-end.

Haha, now wouldn't that be great.