Drivability Issues

First of all, I dont intend to make this thread controversial, just informative.

I love my car, handling great, just one concern....the engine doesent make sense for everyday driving.

This morning was a perfect example, I had to overtake was in 3rd....the car didnt move, dropped to second, moved a bit....but by the time you get to lift it can be too late and you might stack. This car is hard to drive sometimes, you almost have to drive it like a race car,revving its tits off to move. What im more concerned about is lift....well its great and all, but how often do we use it in normal driving?? hardly....so its function is somewhat impractical, especially in 1st gear around a corner...just thought id share an issue that doesent get enough coverage on here...getting in trouble by the lack of usabale power..

Any opinions on this?

I love having lots of torque low in the rev range, makes everyday driving a lot more comfortable. The only problem I have with my current car is I had to learn to be gradual with the throttle to combat wheelspin. With NA FWD's and my old WRX, you could use full throttle whenever you wanted without breaking into wheelspin.

I love having lots of torque low in the rev range, makes everyday driving a lot more comfortable.  The only problem I have with my current car is I had to learn to be gradual with the throttle to combat wheelspin.  With NA FWD's and my old WRX, you could use full throttle whenever you wanted without breaking into wheelspin.

I'd rather have the first than the later. You can learn to drive gently, but when the low end grunt is needed, it's there.

First of all, I dont intend to make this thread controversial, just informative.

I love my car, handling great, just one concern....the engine doesent make sense for everyday driving.

This morning was a perfect example, I had to overtake was in 3rd....the car didnt move, dropped to second, moved a bit....but by the time you get to lift it can be too late and you might stack. This car is hard to drive sometimes, you almost have to drive it like a race car,revving its tits off to move. What im more concerned about is lift....well its great and all, but how often do we use it in normal driving?? hardly....so its function is somewhat impractical, especially in 1st gear around a corner...just thought id share an issue that doesent get enough coverage on here...getting in trouble by the lack of usabale power..

Any opinions on this?

This is the characteristic of hi power, hi rev, n/a engine. Its engine, being a hi rev is more suitable for track in someways, and that is why it is a sports engine because you have work it to get it running.

And thats all fine guys I totally agree, just makes you think this car was designed with selling attributes in mind, not a purposeful built car. I now know why it got the bad publicity, because its got a sporty engine in a car designed for everyday use. Its built around numbers which dont add up for everyday driving. I mean its fine to drive, just, if you ever need to step on it and use that "power" and youre stuck in a high gear, by the time it arrives, it could be too late.

This kind of engine characterisitc can be tiring. Its normal. I guess, jsut about for any car we drive, we just have to learn the way to drive it for any situations.

By the way, you guys want to see Blitz S/C in action ? I got link for the vids. THis should solves u the low end grunt ;)

I agree. Sometimes cruising at 50ish in 3rd then going the pass is a bit of a let down, especially when you know how the engine normally perfomrs.

My biggest problem is trying to drive the car respectibly with passengers. You want to use lift to overtake etc, but when you do, it just makes you look like a hoon.

Maybe thats another good point for the humble 1ZZ....

Good topic :)

This car was obviously designed with a "mixed everything" character. It has contradictory characteristics.

It is civilized as far it concerns suspension and electronic stability equipment but not for engine operation and cabin noises-rattles.

You are supposed to "play" a lot with the gears with the low-torque high-rpm engine but the gear shifting is frequently a nightmare.

I consider the low-torque engine and suspension well balanced only for mountain bad quality and very curvy roads with max possible speed 90-100km/h where you have to use mosty the 3rd gear. Even there you loose accelaration between two curves but it is safer to drive with less torque.

In any case, I do not understand why an engine with high torque in a wide rpm range is less sporty? Golf GTi is less sporty because of its engine?

However, I enjoy the non-civilized character of our engine which can occasionally make you feel that you are doing something extreme: few strong accelarations operate as a release valve from routine. It is like a rediscovery of our hiden "wildness".

Overall, I would not call CTS/Sportivo as a civilized car as usually do the car journalists.

I too was a little disappointed with the same thing Lucio has mentioned but in saying that I did the exhaust(CES cat back) and then the TRD CAI and I really have to say that these 2 mods combined have increased drivability and low end torque dramatically.

I actually find that the driveability has improved post recall (although i have TRD CAI and TOM's flywheel), especially around 3500-4500rpm there is heaps of torque for overtaking but still in certain situations you can get stuck. The lightweight flywheel improves throttle response too and i find it quite good to drive. Also will depend on what sort of traffic and roads you drive on, i am usually on the freeway, clear traffic and very seldom encounter traffic jams.

I agree.  Sometimes cruising at 50ish in 3rd then going the pass is a bit of a let down, especially when you know how the engine normally perfomrs.

My biggest problem is trying to drive the car respectibly with passengers.  You want to use lift to overtake etc, but when you do, it just makes you look like a hoon.

Maybe thats another good point for the humble 1ZZ....

Good topic :)

Yeah i would agree to an extent there...however it is no different with the 1zz as soon as you put passengers in, to get the car moving you have to floor it pretty much everywhere and keep the revs high to have decent drivability. The only real difference is that the torque comes sooner rather than later, which is good for everyday driving.

And Azza i wouldnt be worried about being judged as a hoon, people hear my exhaust and the judgement is already upon me, so i cant dissappoint them by not slamming the rolla :P

Btw, has anyone ever tried doing a handbrake turn in their stivo and then coming out of it in lift? I bet that would be pretty awesome...The things you think about at 2am...

I was driving my bro's WRX today, man there is bugger response if u step down on the peddle if ur just driving at 2000rpm. Talk about lag. Lacks the low-down torque a little. Then you have to wait till it reaches 3000 rpm and vrooooooom :)

I was driving my bro's WRX today, man there is bugger response if u step down on the peddle if ur just driving at 2000rpm. Talk about lag. Lacks the low-down torque a little. Then you have to wait till it reaches 3000 rpm and vrooooooom :)

Yeah if i had the cash...stuff all this turbo F/I crap, hardcore N/A V8 all the way, that is the shiznet. Accelerator = burnout!

Torque in huge abundance and modding such motors would be awesome, perfect for on the road.

Have anyone saw the specs on a VW Golf 2ltr TDI

Man huge torque i swear, but on diesel.

103kw @ 4000

320nm @ 1750-2500!!!!

Would be like driving a V6 or something, smoooooth pull.

Im just been understanding how important torque is now. Before i thought it was all kW power, tsk tsk hehehe.

Have anyone saw the specs on a VW Golf 2ltr TDI

Man huge torque i swear, but on diesel.

103kw @ 4000

320nm @ 1750-2500!!!!

Would be like driving a V6 or something, smoooooth pull.

Im just been understanding how important torque is now. Before i thought it was all kW power, tsk tsk hehehe.

most turbo diesels i've driven, they are a very nice effortless drive day to day. then u rev it to overtake on the freeway or some spirited driving. it just makes noise but doesn't feel like u go any quicker. still nice to have strong tractable low-end.

Yeah if i had the cash...stuff all this turbo F/I crap, hardcore N/A V8 all the way, that is the shiznet. Accelerator = burnout!

Torque in huge abundance and modding such motors would be awesome, perfect for on the road.

hardcore NA V8, checked fuel prices lately? :D

love the sound of the rough idling with aggressive cams tho

i hear that there's nothing ECUTEK can't fix :P

have u tired revving out the end of 3rd and 4th. it's seems to be running out of breathe, when i drove one the other day. awesome mid range punch :angry:

Note the previous statement in bold...hehe

Note the previous statement in bold...hehe

:rolleyes:

yeah evryone here has valid points. but the fact of the matter is the motor is supose to be driven hard not so hard the bolts fall out and you blow things up. but it is supose to be driven like a race car. if you drive it this way im sure there wouldnt be any drivability issues. if your in low end fourth gear and you want to over take QUICKLY drop it into 2nd and i garantee youll be in lift and wont have a prob overtaking.

i know its not quite right having a motor in this style of car with this motor.

but in all honesty i think toyota want to have sleepers lol

there giving the celica/mr2 the ***** and keeping the stivo.

and belive me only recently have people just started realising the sportivo as a hot hatch.

and before anyone arks up

ITS MY OPINION lol :D :D :D :D