2003 CAMRY SPORTIVO REMOTE LOCKING PAD

BRUCE JAMISON

Hi I have just purchased a 2003 Camry Sportivo, 129,000Km, One of the remote door lock pads has stopped working and I have found out that you cannot replace the battery inside, the only way is to buy a new remote from Toyota fro around $100 and program it.

Is there an after-market alternatine available with which you change the battery at a later date?

Any ideas ?

Please let me know

Regards

Bruce Jamison bjamison@jppc.com.au

Programming is easy, if you choose to purchase the remote from toyota

just cycle the key in the ignition barrel

from off (or lock, cant remember from top of my head) to on, 3 times,

then the word "PRO" should appear above the Radio, then you just press the remote button, and it should work.

I replaced my remote at my local Toyota dealer for $69 and they programmed it to the car as well.

Not worth the extra buggering around.

edit: About 6 weeks ago

Remote from Toyota is $60, if you PM me the VIN I should be able to give you the correct part number, but all the remotes for that model are $60, programing them is simple as long as there are no issues with the key.

The battery, I am 99% sure that the battery in these can be replaced, if I remember I will see if I can pull one of the ones at work apart, i will take some photos if it's possible.

There are after market remotes but they are more expensive than the genuine and look crap.

Thanks mr2 all you say is correct, I cannot believe that there is not an alternative remote which you can replace the battery in, The $$$ are not really a problem just the inconvenience of having to buy a new remote whereas you can keep a spare battery in your glovebox, We have Australia's best automotive locksmith in our area so I am seeing him tomorrow, will advise of any news

Thanks

Bruce

• 9 months later...

I purchased a new camry remote from the US via eBay. I can get the car to say "pro" but can't get it to do anything more. Any ideas?

(the remote is high quality and looks totally genuine to me)

It is probably the wrong frequency as it is from the States so you won't be able to get it to code. Some of the Chinese remotes also look very good but will never work, sometimes it's just cheaper to go original :)

Even though these remotes cost around $60, they do tend to last for a while so you do get your money's worth. So may as well stick to original.... (unless you can replace the battery, even better)

Noob question folks...

I have a new-to-me Camry Altise 2005. From reading the info here, am I right in understanding that the battery in the remote can't be replaced?

Noob question folks...

I have a new-to-me Camry Altise 2005. From reading the info here, am I right in understanding that the battery in the remote can't be replaced?

Yes, you are not able to replace the battery. Just buy a new unit for $60.

This post is a bit old now but it might help someone.

I got 2 remote padsfrom toyota for $60 each for an avalon and the staff coded both of them. (A lot cheaper than Mr Minit's $90 )

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Today I went to a Toyota Parts and asked for a replacement remote as mine's rubber button is wearing off /see the picture/. They quoted $69 for it and I asked if they can program it for the vehicle. They said they cannot do it and I have to go mechanic to get it done. I even asked them that "Is not programming just a few turn of keys in ignition and then a long press on remote?", they said no that method is for 20 series. So I am confused now. Can someone pleaase confirm that one button remote for 30 series Camry is user programmable by the above method? I can even see that after turning key on and off 3 times the clock displays "pro".

Cheers guys

post-27079-0-16609100-1365151604_thumb.j

100% user programmable as long as you have a Master key. Toyota don't know what they are talking about. To confirm if your key is a master of Valet find the security light, it should be flashing. Insert the key, if the light goes out straight away you have a master, if it stays lit for a second it's a valet.

Here is Toyota's method for coding in your remote.

post-2320-0-46576000-1365159459_thumb.pn

Thanks for the replies guys,

i think mine is the master /black/ key as when I insert the key into the ignition, the security light goes out.

By the way, do you know the proper way to register an additional key to ECU for 30 series Camry, I am confused by different methods posted by people on the internet, some say 5 times brake and some say 5 times cycle the ignition etc. none of them worked for my additional key made by a Toyota dealer. The funny thing is they could not program it either, yet I was charged for it. So I was not surprised when they said they can't program that remote.

Cheers

Edited by bathuu

^ also, master keys are black while the valet keys are grey.

Correct, but the security light way is more accurate as a black key can be coded in as a Valet and a gray as a Master, or some people might have aftermarket keys.

RE coding the key, it uses the brake method. Timing can be very tricky with these but also remember thet they are getting old, electrical issues can make it so you can't do any of the on board programming. Make sure there are no fault codes or engine light, make sure that the cabin light works, all the door switches and the chime for when a key is in the ignition, that is the most important one.

post-2320-0-00796100-1365161007_thumb.pn

Edited by (mr2)

Cheers mr2,

Very helpful attachments. Mine is all good as there are no engine light problem, cabin light goes out when I press remote lock, and it chimes somewhere in the front end of the car when i put the key in ignition. So I am gonna try to register the new key one more time with your attached instruction.

Thanks again.

Edited by bathuu

Unfortunately, my key turns out to be valet key as security light stays a second before goes out. Is there any other way to activate the new key?

Only way is with a Master. 2 ways to do this,

1. Go to Toyota and get them to replace your immobilizer, box then code in your key as a master, expect to pay upwards of $600 for this.

2. Go see a Locksmith who does automotive work, they can remove your immobilizer box and make you a master key, this will cost you around the $400 mark depending on where you go.

Ok that is a bit expensive. I guess I will just wait till I loose my key before get into replacing immobilizer. By the way, with the valet key, programming remote should work or it has to be master key?

Edited by bathuu