Want to buy a Camry

inSight

Hello, new here

I've tried researching this question but unable to find an answer. I'm looking to buy a Camry (price range around $7500) and I've been doing a lot of reviewing/research of different cars. I currently drive a 1992 2.0L Mazda 626 and 95% of my driving is highway so I was thinking of upgrading to a bigger car. I've looked at Falcon's, Commodore's, Magna's and Camry's. I only drive manual (don't like auto's) and finding one in a Falcon or Commodore is next to impossible. Magnas seem to be good and recommended (for newer models 2002+) but my research on the Camry seems to top the lot.

The Camry I'm looking at is a 2001 V6 MCV20R:

0-100km: 7.8s

Fuel Combined: 8.3L

Fuel Extra Urban: 6.8L

The acceleration and fuel economy is superior to the Falcons, Commodores and Magnas. The fuel economy alone is very close to my Mazda 626. However I'm also looking at the Sportivo because my girlfriend thinks it looks much nicer and she is putting money towards it too. Unfortunately it seems to be inferior.

2003 V6 Sportivo MCV36R

0-100km: 8.3s

Fuel Combined: 9.9L

Fuel Extra Urban: 6.8L

It seems to be slower and uses a lot more fuel. I tried researching the answer but couldn't find anything. Can anyone explain why the Sportivo is slower and uses more fuel? I do about 750+km per week. One thing I did notice was that the highway fuel economy for both these Camry's are fairly identical and I get much closer to Fuel Extra Urban then I do Fuel Combined (redbook.com.au statistics).

Which one would be recommended for highway driving? My girlfriend hates the look of the 2001 Camry but I'm not after looks (at least it's not a priority).

weight would be the main reason i think.

factory weights there is about 150kg difference. going past weights the Gen5 sportivo will be much better equipped than the Gen4 (unless it is the Touring, where the difference is smaller). It will also handle much better than the Gen4 as well.

we have had a Gen4 Conquest V6 and Touring V6 in our family and the Gen5 is much better ibm terms of equipment and features.

if you do.choose a Gen5, go te facelift model. Significanty better looking on the inside and more little tweakss as well (power seats etc); mind you i don't particular lay like the exterior changes

Thanks for the reply Andrew.

Sorry to be a pain but how does one know if its a gen4 or gen5? Is the Gen5 the Sportivo and Gen4 the one previous to it?

I have been looking further and have noticed the Sportivo looks much nicer not only on the outside but also the inside. I may consider it over the older Camry. Highway performance seems to be very identical and I prefer a car that handles and feels better not to mention looks better. I rarely do city driving so the cost at the petrol station will be to small to even bother with.

Oh I see, thank you.

Just comparing the Altise and the Sportivo. They seem to be equal in terms of highway fuel efficiency. Altise is slightly more efficient with city driving and the Sportivo is noticeably more efficient with a combination or highway and city driving. Seems to be a bit confusing o.O.

Both seem to have the same acceleration performance. Good for overtaking on one lane highways. Think I'm still siding with the Sportivo.

Thank you for your help :)

Oh I see, thank you.

Just comparing the Altise and the Sportivo. They seem to be equal in terms of highway fuel efficiency. Altise is slightly more efficient with city driving and the Sportivo is noticeably more efficient with a combination or highway and city driving. Seems to be a bit confusing o.O.

Both seem to have the same acceleration performance. Good for overtaking on one lane highways. Think I'm still siding with the Sportivo.

Thank you for your help :)

Sportivo over the altise. definitely worth the extra. suspension package on the sportivo is much different.

The V6 from the Gen 4 to 5 is the same engine, so realistically you will obtain the same performance and equal fuel economy.

The V6 from the Gen 4 to 5 is the same engine, so realistically you will obtain the same performance and equal fuel economy.

Yeah, I figured they have the same engine. However, the performance (or acceleration) and fuel economy are different according to redbook.com.au and other sources I have come across with the Gen4 being slightly better.

As has been mentioned it is most likely the reasoning for this is due to the Sportivo being heavier.

I guess I was just being picky. I do over 40,000km driving every year and the Gen4 just seemed better bang for the buck. But I guess the savings will be rather minimal so I'd rather one with lower k's and looks/feels and handles better.

EDIT: Spelling*

Edited by inSight

Are we really that slow stock?!

I'd say gen4 but I could be biased somewhat hahaha. Only thing to look out for is their regular maintenence. They can run forever if looked after. However they are also prone to sludging up if oil changes are few and far in between.

• 3 weeks later...

How much different of Normal vs Sportivo Suspension?

I read once as ACV36R comes with Timing Chain and no need to change and last longer up to engine life, is that true?

Educate me please.

Edited by thSydney

for normal (altise) front/rear suspension is different, and its got no front strut bar,

not really sure how different, because ive never driven a sportivo to compare, hope some of the camry sportivo owners can shine on this

There is a some difference between the Altise/Ateva VS Sportivo in stock form; with respect to parts.

From what I know, the differences are:

- Stiffer spring rates on the Sportivo (front and rear, V6 and 4-cyl)

- Stiffer shocks on the Sportivo (front and rear, V6 and 4-cyl)

- Front strut brace on Sportivo. From memory, the Altise and Ateva did not get the brace from factory standard.

There may be others but in terms of driving it makes for a big difference between the classes. I've driven a friend's 4cyl altise and it's a significantly softer drive compared to the Sportivo.

I didn't know the H7 bulb sells for $25-29 per bulb and that's the cheaper version.

Since when do they get this pricey?

I didn't know the H7 bulb sells for $25-29 per bulb and that's the cheaper version.

Since when do they get this pricey?

Given the Gen4 and Gen5 do not use a H7 bulb, what does this have to do with buying a Camry?

I'd say just go sportivo. They aren't much difference in price these days and they come with alot of creature comforts. I've driven my dad's stock altise V6 2004, and the drive feel is really noticeable. if you're doing highway driving, i'd prefer something with abit more driving feel. This is comparing when i had stock wheels and suspension. The extra finishes in the sportivos really liven up the interior, and if you're spending alot of time in the cabin, i'd like something nice to look at. Just something to think about as well...

I have a 2002 ACV36R Sportivo Manual and recently done 4500km trip from Brisbane to Melbourne and back. It sips 8l/100km and 8.5l/100km with AC on with constant cruise control at regular speed of 110km/h. So for me the fuel consumption is pretty good for the car.

Isn't the ACV36R the 2.4L Camry? I was looking at the V6. Seeing as I do highway driving, according to redbook.com.au, the V6 fuel economy is identical and the extra power will come in handy for overtaking slow cars or trucks.

• 4 weeks later...

do not even think about 4 cyl if power is important to you. fuel economy is not much different if you drive on the highway most of the time. definitely go for gen5 sportivo. altise's suspension is....how should i describe it?.....rocking like a boat if the ground is even slightly uneven!!! i have a gen 6 4cyl altise (misses's choice as she insisted the salesman lied about the fuel consumption) which has no power, and my grandson once said to me: i get a headache every time i sat in your car! (because the car literally rocked like a boat). i complained to the mechanics when it was in for a service at the dealership and they checked it and said nothing's wrong with the suspension/shockers. the altise's suspension is designed to have a much "softer" ride :( he even joked about how it's best for a certain type of activity in the car :)