Newbie Saying Hi

jing713

Hello everyone!

Thought it'd be smart to join a Toyota specific forum as I own a 1996 Camry CSi in Manual :)

Running 215/45/17 Bridgestone RE002

Not a fancy car certainly, I pretty much inherited the old family car!

Guys here are friendly and :)

Cheers

Welcome Jon :)

The camrys are very reliable.

Cheers

Hah, yeah unsurprisingly they really don't die.. I'm in the process of preparing for a major service as my father no longer used the service book and hadn't kept good copy of all the past service invoices detailing what's been done!

Only thing I know is that it has a K&N air filter - and I found a new one lying around and replaced the old (yes, I was too lazy to wash it ^_^)

Ordered a new set of iridium sparks off Amazon for ~$7 a pop (I suggest everyone not pay $20 odd for an iridium spark at "stupidcheap"), new set of spark leads (very likely it's still running stock), K&N oil filter ($7!!!! of amazon !!!) and will buy fully synthetic 10w-40 oil.

I'm DIYing and learning along the way as much as possible as parents are only paying for rego and insurance :ninja:. Good and fun experience for me must say!

Changed sparks to NGK V power (I thought they were copper..)- despite some subjective improvements in low end torque over the old platinums, I thought I'd change to iridiums instead and consider the V Powers as a bad batch for a lost cause.

Definitely not a powerful car, but I'm not complaining - it's pretty healthy and I've recently just put a new set of 215/45/17Potenza RE002 (0812 stock :P).

When I took over, fuel economy was ridiculously high at 12.5L/100km , gradually brought it down to 10.4L/100km (suburbia driving) through fiddling around with sparks / tyres / injector cleaners etc! I've probably spent more money than I should but it's hard to stop :whistling:

Welcome dude!

I'm new myself and own a 96 csi wagon - Great cars!

Got any pics of your car mate??

Cheers

J

Fantastic! welcome to you as well :)

It's an old car, with 17" rims mostly scratched from my mum previously..

Unfortunately I probably won't replace them due to economies of scale!

However I'' throw a few pics up tomorrow... has a Momo steering wheel and aftermarket gearshift knob - lol!

Forgot to mention I may be the youngest with a Camry here, coming in at 19.. hopefully that doesn't ignite prejudice against me :mellow::blush:

PS: Has the PIA typical issue of saggy headlining, has anyone fixed it themselves? :help:

Edited by jing713

I have had some success using spray adhesive - spray the hood lining and stick it back on.

I might get that done in July, during 1 month uni break.

Did you just have to remove the passenger handles on the roof and the screws at the back? :blink:

Also - I've read of people replacing the foam (probably a bit too tedious for me... :unsure: )- did you do that?

Edited by jing713

Forgot to mention I may be the youngest with a Camry here, coming in at 19.. hopefully that doesn't ignite prejudice against me :mellow::blush:

I bought mine when I was 18, I am now 25. It was my ever reliable daily, now it is my toy(in-progress).

I have had some success using spray adhesive - spray the hood lining and stick it back on.

Did you just have to remove the passenger handles on the roof and the screws at the back? :blink:

Also - I've read of people replacing the foam (probably a bit too tedious for me... :unsure: )- did you do that?

Nah just sprayed it directly onto the foam and the hood lining and pressed it back together

Nah just sprayed it directly onto the foam and the hood lining and pressed it back together

Cool!

Where can I buy a can of those spray adhesives?

I'll probably get it done during the month long break coming up, I mean, why not ^_^