Anyone still getting 1st-2nd shifting problems?

But i don't believe GL4 = synchro protection and GL5 isn't.  What about GL6 oils?  If someone can explain "API" that should explain it bcuz its usually API GL4 or GL5.

some GL-5 rated oils contain sulfer which eats away at all the brass in the trans. GL-5 is made for rear end gears, not the tranny

:blink: :o :blink: :o

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if any of you guys have upgraded to the speed-source brass shift bushings, or used the energy suspension motor mount inserts... but the combination of the two has solved any and all of my shifting issues.

Although if I don't wait a little bit after I depress the clutch, I'll still grind reverse.

What do they cost and how long was the instalation time?

Not sure if any of you guys have upgraded to the speed-source brass shift bushings, or used the energy suspension motor mount inserts... but the combination of the two has solved any and all of my shifting issues. 

Although if I don't wait a little bit after I depress the clutch, I'll still grind reverse.

Would you provide a link as to where we can purchase these parts? Thanks in advance ;)

Would you provide a link as to where we can purchase these parts? Thanks in advance ;)

I also forgot about the extended master cylinder push rod you guys use over there. Did that really help?

And the brass bushing looks good Northy, will be interested if we can get them here. What abt the motor mounts?

Edited by ZEEROLLA

here zee, http://www.twosrus.com/catalog/product_inf...&products_id=78

im thinking that if we had enough interest we could get some made here in Aus, group buy?

Is it just me or does the photos on this page look EXACTLY!!!! like the ones found on the speed source web page?

ben04xrs - Can you tell us if you got the toyota or BIG toyota bushes from speed source??? as I havent had a chance to get back to them about buying a set ;)

Spped-Source.net <- just for you Zee :D

Edited by Danthuyer

im thinking that if we had enough interest we could get some made here in Aus, group buy?

Is it just me or does the photos on this page look EXACTLY!!!! like the ones found on the speed source web page?

ben04xrs - Can you tell us if you got the toyota or BIG toyota bushes from speed source??? as I havent had a chance to get back to them about buying a set ;)

thats cause they are the speed scource ones craig lol, there is a pic on the link that i posted that has them in the packet. :P

group buy and group install!? :P and interesting abt the engine mounts, more engine movement = more movement through transmission = crap shift quality? But i guess that applies more to older cars or Celicas that have done more than 100,000kms and 5 years or older so the mounts can be a little loose.

A shifting question here: Has anyone tried shifting 1-2 without letting the gas pedal out fully, like just let the gas pedal 3/4 - 1/2 way out, shift into 2nd, clutch pedal out and full gas again? i am trying that out at the moment bcuz the problem when trying to shift easier and slower is letting the gas pedal out fully=revs drop right down (especially with lighter flywheel), so i was hoping by keeping the gas pedal going, revs will stay higher (above 6000rpm) before clutch enagement so i get more torque so easier to land LIFT. Confusing enough? :blink:

I also forgot about the extended master cylinder push rod you guys use over there. Did that really help?

And the brass bushing looks good Northy, will be interested if we can get them here. What abt the motor mounts?

One step ahead of you Zee. Already organising the possibility of getting some made here in Brisbane ;) If I get enough interest there could be the possibility of doing a larger quantity for a good price. :D

I would be interested in a group buy.....

that would be burning up your clutch a lot.  I'll bet the flywheel is blue ;)

Tried that out, doesn't work for me :( so back to normal shifting and you are right abt burning up the clutch and flywheel.. but worth a try anyway i thought. I think my Stivo just needs more mid range torque, now where's Craig :P

And Brendon, i knew you Brissy boys would be right on it :D

group buy and group install!? :P  and interesting abt the engine mounts, more engine movement = more movement through transmission = crap shift quality?  But i guess that applies more to older cars or Celicas that have done more than 100,000kms and 5 years or older so the mounts can be a little loose.

A shifting question here:  Has anyone tried shifting 1-2 without letting the gas pedal out fully, like just let the gas pedal 3/4 - 1/2 way out, shift into 2nd, clutch pedal out and full gas again?  i am trying that out at the moment bcuz the problem when trying to shift easier and slower is letting the gas pedal out fully=revs drop right down (especially with lighter flywheel), so i was hoping by keeping the gas pedal going, revs will stay higher (above 6000rpm) before clutch enagement so i get more torque so easier to land LIFT.  Confusing enough? :blink:

If i were you.. I wouldnt get energy suspension engine mounts unless absolutely necessary.. The added vibrations is annoying.. Things start to rattle. It doesn't make much of an improvement. I little bit easier to land lift 1st-2nd.. I little bit better tractions. But not worth the pain and agony you'll have to live with everyday.

K.. it probably be alright for some people. As long as you don't have a gf nagging at you saying ur car sux dog balls because of the added vibrations and noise.

sorry for the belated reply... i got the regular toyota kit, both bushings are the same size on my 2ZZ.

honestly, the polyurethane engine mount inserts made a bigger difference than the brass shift bushings... but the combination is outstanding.

Just took my car to the 20,000km service this morning. I had also stated the gear change problem, 1st - 2nd above 6,000 rpm.....can't shift, need to wait till it drop to 5,000, as well as crunchy shift 3rd to 2nd.........all that kind of crap :angry: .

Also, the rattles behind the stereo when driving over bumpy road.

It is the second time I bring it in for the gear change issue to the Sydney City Toyota.

The car will be ready at about 4:30pm today.

Wish me luck guys ~~~ :)