oil change - track day

hello again.

im going on a track day on nov 18, just wondering if its best to change the oil and oil filter before or after the track day? the car has done about 5000 km on this oil and its running the factory toyota stuff. apart from a few drag race runs it hasnt had much of a hard time over the 5k km.

and when i do change it what oil should i use, genuine toyota or? its still only new so i dont want toyota getting suspicious so ill go with a genuine oil filter though

cheers

change to use synthetic ones, same goes for the gear box.. factory oil will break down at high temperature,resulted in reduced lubrication...

change your pad and brake fluid..

factory pad will decompose at high temperature and wrap your disc...

factory fluid will boil easily, resulted in losing brake power...

i suggest u don,t drive hard if u don t do the above

suggest u to use nulon for oil

Edited by ben yip

^^^hahaha thanks for the feedback guys. so can anyone tell me the right sort to get like the numbers on the front of the bottle? i hate choosing oil. ill go with a synthetic.

so back to the actual question, change the oil before or after the track day???

brakes will be fine ill see what there like after the day itself. i had stock pads and rotors on my other car and it was fine.

change before (and prefer after), i use the oil three times on the track

0w-40, 5w-40...

just don't push hard with the brakes and you will be fine at stock, mine rotor has a temperature 370 to 400C when driving hard, stock pad break down >300C, so make you dont brake hard, and take a lap to cool down

change before (and prefer after), i use the oil three times on the track

0w-40, 5w-40...

just don't push hard with the brakes and you will be fine at stock, mine rotor has a temperature 370 to 400C when driving hard, stock pad break down >300C, so make you dont brake hard, and take a lap to cool down

will do cheers mate. if i do gearbox oil what oil do you recommend for that and what number thing to get?

stock brake fluid should be fine yea? its only new still.

penrite

Penrite engine oil is absolutely S**T!!! I used to run it, then went nulon which was way better and now liqui moly which is better again, in fact so good that my motor leaks from places that i never even knew existed!! LOL! :D

Another important thing is to change your gear box oil. IMO its more important than having fresh engine oil when youre racing, gearbox oil will make it so that your box will change smoother, and reduce crunching. I change my gearbox oil before and after I track the car. If its daily use i change it every 20,000. I use 75-90 Western Oil Syngear with a heat resistance additive, the name escapes me which one it is...

Engine oil i change every 4,000 (4AGE's tend to turn their oil black pretty quickly)

As Ben said, brake fluid and pads are also a critical thing to maintain! Penrite racing fluid and QFM A1RM pads work best IMO :)

Edited by 4ABHGE

penrite

Penrite engine oil is absolutely S**T!!! I used to run it, then went nulon which was way better and now liqui moly which is better again, in fact so good that my motor leaks from places that i never even knew existed!! LOL! :D

Another important thing is to change your gear box oil. IMO its more important than having fresh engine oil when youre racing, gearbox oil will make it so that your box will change smoother, and reduce crunching. I change my gearbox oil before and after I track the car. If its daily use i change it every 20,000. I use 75-90 Western Oil Syngear with a heat resistance additive, the name escapes me which one it is...

Engine oil i change every 4,000 (4AGE's tend to turn their oil black pretty quickly)

As Ben said, brake fluid and pads are also a critical thing to maintain! Penrite racing fluid and QFM A1RM pads work best IMO :)

cheers for all the info mate. i think at this stage i might just change the engine oil before and after the track day. id do gearbox oil too as its just as important but the car has only done 5000 km and money is a bit tight by the time i pay for the day and get up there etc so ill go easy on the box and brakes. ill see what there like after the day and if needed ill change the oil/brakes then. think ill go nulon for the oil too sounds like its good stuff.

Youll need to change the gearbox oil and brake fluid afterwards for sure.

Theres no way you can go easy on the brakes and box at the track... actually going 'easy' on the brakes is worse because you are applying less pressure for a longer period of time it actually creates more heat than stopping quicker.

And unless you are rolling in neutral around the track (which you wont be) then there is always going to be stress on the box. If you want your gearbox to last the abuse change it right after, as time goes on you will see it will crunch and not go into gear if you leave this oil in for too long...

Edited by 4ABHGE

tbh, as long as your not buying supermarket oil, u'll be fine if you are changing oil before and after track. i only buy the more expensive ones as i dont track my car that often to warrant a change of oil everytime i go. i even find that the oil will last 2 track days before i drop it at 5000km. even that its not even that dark and the car still runs the same as it did when i first bought it.

right. so if i change the gearbox oil before i go will it need changing afterwards still?

and is changing gearbox hard? never done it before. oil isnt cheap for good stuff thats all. brakes will be fine, if stock swift brakes can last a track surely corolla ones can which are bigger and better.

ok so this might sound stupid but who here that owns a ZRE can tell me where the oil filter is? iv looked around the sump area and on the front of the engine but cant find it??? do you need to take the black plastic undertray thing off (under the car)? i did only have a quick look for it but no luck :/