Echo brake fluid and coolant

Hello all

I have a 2000 Echo and need to top up the brake fluid (between middle of min and max), was wondering if I could mix up with the brand, I do not know what the brand of the brake fluid the previous owner put in. Is it must be dot 3?

If I need to change it, how much fluid do I need?

And is the 2000 echo using the super long life toyota coolant or just long life toyota coolant?

Tq.

brake fluid tpe should be on the cap of the brake resevior. coolant not sure but why do u want to change it? my guess would be long life colant. or just get a suitable one from your local auto store

Get a light and try and look at the colour of the coolant in the reservoir or open your radiator cap(when engine is cold) and have a look at coolant that way

Pink is super long life, red is long life

Although if red has been watered down over time it might look pink now

Other option is to find the owners manual and have a look in there

EDIT: Ideally you shouldn't mix brake fluid types/ brands, besides if the brake fluid is over 2 years old or the brakes feel spongy you're probably better off doing a brake bleed

You can get away with 1 bottle if you don't spill any, but i'd recommend getting 2 anyway

Edited by viper33

Brake fluid should really be changed annually, more often in more humid environments.

Also if your fluid is down, you either have a leak or the more likely answer is that you are getting closer to needing a pad change. As the pads wear the pistons in the caliper travel further out and the fluid drops in the reservoir.

brake fluid tpe should be on the cap of the brake resevior. coolant not sure but why do u want to change it? my guess would be long life colant. or just get a suitable one from your local auto store

it is 12 years old, and i got for two years, thought should change

Get a light and try and look at the colour of the coolant in the reservoir or open your radiator cap(when engine is cold) and have a look at coolant that way

Pink is super long life, red is long life

Although if red has been watered down over time it might look pink now

Other option is to find the owners manual and have a look in there

EDIT: Ideally you shouldn't mix brake fluid types/ brands, besides if the brake fluid is over 2 years old or the brakes feel spongy you're probably better off doing a brake bleed

You can get away with 1 bottle if you don't spill any, but i'd recommend getting 2 anyway

I bought the car without manual and service book provided. I can see the current coolant is green which is definitely wrong.

Toyota said pre 2003 echo fitted with red color long life coolant, and post 2003 echo use pink color super long life.

Was wondering if i could use pink color instead of red on this 2000 model. The pink color coolant is premixed so easy to apply.

its not "wrong" to have green fluid, it might be the equivalent of the genuine toyota one. green pink purple or red it doesnt matter. as long as its suited for your engine. although i peronally would go for the genuine one becuz while it costs a bit more, you dont often change it so i'd go for that instead of the cheaper option.