Speakers on 2012 ZR6 - right rear missing

kptm

Hey guys so i bought a 2012 sportive zr6 month ago...and i came to realise Right Hand Rear Speaker is missing...

i went to the dealer and he said they'll fix it... so i dropped my car there.....and then couple of hours later i get a call saying the configuration is correct...the speaker shouldn't be on the right hand side...

it doesn't make sense...y they would have a speaker on the left hand side and not the right hand side...they said the zr6 comes with some sort of options...but i read the brochure...and the only option for zr6 available is the sunroof...

This seem dodgy is there anyone here who works for toyota who can help me rectify this issue!?

They have to be having a lend of ya. Give Toyota themselves a call but I would be thinking the same thing

Why would they only put a speaker in one side. Maybe its so you can have you grandmother who is mostly deaf sitting near the speaker and others away from it so they dont get deafened :)

Edited by SirNed

I'm aware the new Aurion zr6 comes with a JBL system that's equipped with 10 speakers. This should mean there's 2 tweeters on the dash, 2 speakers on the front doors, 2 on the rears, 3 on the rear parcel shelf and a subwoofer. This means that there needs to be right rear speaker.

I'm aware the new Aurion zr6 comes with a JBL system that's equipped with 10 speakers. This should mean there's 2 tweeters on the dash, 2 speakers on the front doors, 2 on the rears, 3 on the rear parcel shelf and a subwoofer. This means that there needs to be right rear speaker.

Theres 2 on the front dash, 2 on the front doors... NONE in the rear doors and 4 speakers on the back shelf area (ones missing completely, it has the speaker cover and all but no speak in it...) so the total is 8 speakers..and its weird as hell... ill post some pics

Man that's not right! It is obviously a factory defect. How it passed the QA I don't know!

And you can show the pictures to toyota! They will have no choice but accept to give you new speakers (tell them all around check in order to see if there are other missing parts)

yer i rang em...i had a look at the owners manual...pre delivery checklist wasn't even completed... i worry parts missing all around the car now

so i contacted maitland toyota...and they said that its meant to be like that!... that the left hand side speaker is actually a subwoofer...which is weird!>.. y would they have a subwoofer on the left hand side...and not the centre!...

in addition , i can only explicitly see 7 speakers and 8 speaker covers(this accounts for the one thats supposedly a dummy

cover).

so they have advertised 10 speakers and i can only see 7!>..they the hell are the others...i have no idea!...

In my Touring, I do have 6 speakers, which I counted myself. That is correct as per the website.

Maitland Toyota is having you on: http://www.toyota.com.au/aurion/features/audio-and-navigation/speakers

From that photo, you should have gotten a rear panel looking like the one in the picture. From your photos, it is plain obvious that it was a SX6 set up.

A ZR6 should have got subwoofter centrally mounted where the X is in the photo.

Taken from the Press Release:

"The JBL premium audio system's speaker layout includes two 8cm coaxial speakers with high and mid-range cones, an 8cm speaker on top of the dash, a 17 x 25cm woofer in each front door, a 17 x 25cm rear sub-woofer and two 8cm rear surround speakers"

I believe the dealer is correct in this situation.

Taken from the Press Release:

"The JBL premium audio system's speaker layout includes two 8cm coaxial speakers with high and mid-range cones, an 8cm speaker on top of the dash, a 17 x 25cm woofer in each front door, a 17 x 25cm rear sub-woofer and two 8cm rear surround speakers"

I believe the dealer is correct in this situation.

so theres 8 speakers...

but the brochure and website explicitly say 10 speakers...

The two front speakers have two speaker elements in them, and are counted as two each. Hence there are 10 speakers.

As for the hole in the rear with the blank speaker, it is there due to the lower spec'd models having 6 speakers, two in the front, two in the front doors, and two in the rear parcel shelf.

/end.

The two front speakers have two speaker elements in them, and are counted as two each. Hence there are 10 speakers.

As for the hole in the rear with the blank speaker, it is there due to the lower spec'd models having 6 speakers, two in the front, two in the front doors, and two in the rear parcel shelf.

/end.

cheers

So if all the speakers are in fact there, what does the 10 speaker setup sound like anyway? Or were you looking at speakers in the first place in order to replace them? How effective is the sub and where is it? Built into the boot or some other clever spot?

So if all the speakers are in fact there, what does the 10 speaker setup sound like anyway? Or were you looking at speakers in the first place in order to replace them? How effective is the sub and where is it? Built into the boot or some other clever spot?

Sound system sound alright...but then again I'm a rookie...so can't differentiate between AWESOME and good lol...but tbh the subwoofer setup is a bit stuffed up...the subs on the rear left...instead of the centre...unusual i must say

It sounds odd to me that Toyota would consider a dual voice coil speaker two seperate speakers... Not to mention why the car would have speakers predominately down one side of the car and not the other... I understand that this would make the sound in the drivers seat no different but the rest of the seats in the car should be a noticeable difference in sound timings.

Can you locate the factory subwoofer? And if not can you verify it's existance by isolating the lower frequencies in your head unit?

Sounds like you might have gotten screwed around mate :/

It sounds odd to me that Toyota would consider a dual voice coil speaker two seperate speakers... Not to mention why the car would have speakers predominately down one side of the car and not the other... I understand that this would make the sound in the drivers seat no different but the rest of the seats in the car should be a noticeable difference in sound timings.

Can you locate the factory subwoofer? And if not can you verify it's existance by isolating the lower frequencies in your head unit?

Sounds like you might have gotten screwed around mate :/

The speaker is apparently a subwoofer...on the left hand side!...weird...still a bit of doubt whether I'm being screwed over....

i think theres too much pressure on just one subwoofer...and if the song has too much bass on a relatively low-medium volume...u can here the distortion... personally i would prefer to have 2 subwoofers .... which means put the same sub on the right hand...

overall the sound quality is good...but the only thing that i dont like is left hand sub...and distorted bass!

Subs are generally direction-less, thus they can be offset to one side of the car and not change the sound too much (think of how many people have their sub mounted to one side of the boot, or home theater systems with the sub off to one side/in the corner).

As for counting components as individual speakers, this is very common in car setups, since there are only so many places you can put speakers. In theory, a 2-way speaker is no different than a seperate standalone woofer and tweeter, both have two components but the 2-way just has them in a single mount, so it is easier to just refer to the number of components (which u54mot broke down on the first page)

It's just an efficient way of making sound, i was always impressed by the factory sound qual in my aurion, and even more impressed when you see the parts that are making that sound. Smart sound engineering using very effcient speaker design for low output.

I dont see how or why you have been jipped.

Like ian says it dosnt matter where the sub sits on the shelf. It's designed to make sub sound not directional higher frequencies.

Im sure your systems sounds great at low to moderate listening levels.

Like ian says it dosnt matter where the sub sits on the shelf. It's designed to make sub sound not directional higher frequencies.

Same reason why you can get away with plain woofers in the door panels but tweeters need to be mounted up high in the dash or on the pillars - the higher the frequency, the more "directional" the sound is.