King Springs

In_D_Major

Hey...peeps...Got my Corolla recently lowered (by 40mil F/R) with King Low Springs!!! I'm very happy with the outcome (better handling and sharper cornering)

Yesterday I was admiring the Car when I was parked and I noticed that the 2 rear wheels are off camber?!? I don't know if that's the proper name for it?!? The top pf the wheels (below the wheel arch) are in more that the bottom. I would say about 5 mils or more. I've got 17 inch BSA Rims and 215s. The front wheels are straight and fine.

Now the question is:

1.) Is this normal when you lower your car on King Low Springs?

2.) Has anyone else has this kind of offset???

3.) Is it better to have it that way? (Better for cornering?)

Thanks for the feed back

PEACE :D

You should have had your wheels aligned after fitting the new springs.

I don't know enough about camber to judge what would be acceptable or not, but the service manual has specs for camber that I can check later on if you need.

Otaku...Yeah I had 4 wheel alignment after it was lowered. I don't even know if it's the Camber or whatever. I just want to know if lowering the car, should both the rear wheels be turning in (the top part of the wheel) towards the springs. I just had a look at my car again, and I would say that it's in by atleast 1cm on both ends!!! I don't know if that would be a good thing (for the tyres front and rear) or not?!?

I got it done at Donellans in Box Hill...was thinking of giving them a call and find out if it's ok. Though I just want to try here first (forum) and get it from my fellow Corolla owners.

But thanks anyway for the reply...

Cheers

thats normal, when you lower a car the wheels gain negative camber (top of the wheel leans in) the lower you go the more camber you will get. more camber = better turn in, im running -2 on the fronts

And also additional tyre wear on the outside. This can be somewhat counter balanced by toe adjustments if you are driving on the street.

Northy is right, it will provide greater turn in thus reducing understeer, however, this will also have the detrimental affect of causing rapid oversteer should you push the limits into a corner (ie go to fast).

Hey...peeps...Got my Corolla recently lowered (by 40mil F/R) with King Low Springs!!! I'm very happy with the outcome (better handling and sharper cornering)

Yesterday I was admiring the Car when I was parked and I noticed that the 2 rear wheels are off camber?!?

PEACE  :D

1.) Is this normal when you lower your car on King Low Springs? YES

2.) Has anyone else has this kind of offset??? YES

3.) Is it better to have it that way? (Better for cornering?) YES

Rear wheels have no adjustment for Toe In or Camber, so to get a 4 wheel alignment is a waste of money.

Camber will change slightly as more weight is put on rear of car or lowered.

Stock they have slight negative camber which is supposed to be better for handling.

Camber,Toe In/Out and Caster Explained.

thats normal, when you lower a car the wheels gain negative camber (top of the wheel leans in) the lower you go the more camber you will get. more camber = better turn in, im running -2 on the fronts

Northy...how about mine then? Mines the rear wheels. Would that do anything when I'm cornering??? I would understand the front wheels (bcoz that's the turning wheels) but the rear???

Also, I don't want to wear out my tyres too soon!!! If I want to make then straight, is it a simple job to do? I'm thinking of calling Donellans today and get it straighten up.

Thanks

there is no camber adjustment on the rears :(, to combat the tyre wear i rotate my from tyres from side to side every 10,000k's

Damn!!! Oh well it's the price we pay for the little bit of fun I guess. Thank dude.

By the way...you from Brissy??? Where abouts??? I use to live there for 8 years man...Now I'm here in Melbourne! I miss Brissy...weather is good! :D

So how's Cootha like nowadays??? Have you ever taken the route heading towards the Gap (near the TV stations???) at night!?!? Man I would love to drive my corolla there now!!! :D :D :D

PEACE B)

take note that the rear camber on the torsion beam corolla's DOES NOT change when you install lowering springs like it does on other toyota's with wishbone rear suspension. The rear suspension has negative camber in the stock ride height, it's just not quite as noticable.

the hub is bolted to the torsion beam, it's angle does not change when the suspension travels. Look under the car and you will understand.

On other torsion beam cars, the owners install adjusting shims between the hub and the beam to increase the rear camber further. Do a google search for MKiv golf rear camber for pics of the kits they have.

there is no camber adjustment on the rears :(, to combat the tyre wear i rotate my from tyres from side to side every 10,000k's

Damn!!! Oh well it's the price we pay for the little bit of fun I guess. Thank dude.

By the way...you from Brissy??? Where abouts??? I use to live there for 8 years man...Now I'm here in Melbourne! I miss Brissy...weather is good! :D

So how's Cootha like nowadays??? Have you ever taken the route heading towards the Gap (near the TV stations???) at night!?!? Man I would love to drive my corolla there now!!! :D :D :D

PEACE B)

We drive that bit of road a fair bit. It's great for the stivo's but a real headache for honda owners :P