2zzge no lift

Jeriko

G'day,

Just had the engine rebuilt and port and polised in the Sportivo after bending 8 valves.... She's driving beautifully now down low,eve torquier than before - Have been asked to wear it in and then I give it a go at the 1200km mark

Car won't rev past 7000 RPM - You can feel it trying to open to high lift but it just flattens straight out. Have thrown it on a computer to figure out if we are receiving any CEL warnings but sadly no.

I am dead certain the lift bolts are not an issue - It's an '05 model stivo so it had the new design bolts in it, and asides from that prior to taking it to the mechanics for the rebuild, I needed to make sure i had it in high revs or the bitch would stall, average of 25% compression in 3 Cylinders and 1 Cylinder had full cmpression. So as any normal driver would do --> I lifted the whole way to the mechanics without an issue :P

Would I be correct in assuming if we aren't getting any CEL warnings or check engine lights that the sensors should be fine?

I've done a little bit of research on this issue and can't find a whole lot on it. Basically I'm looking for something to give the mechanic so he has somewhat of a checklist to check on. After paying $6000 for the rebuild I really want this to work, And with the power I'm getting down low now - I can't wait to hit lift.

what state you based in? if you can hear it cross into lift but then die at 7k rpm, could be as simple as replacing a 15$ oil pressure sender which you can buy from sca or repco, next to the vvl solenoid. also test out ur vvl solenoid by passing a current through it. it shouldmake a click click sound. make sure all ur engine ecu sensor plugs are firmly connected

Whoever put the head together, were they aware that the intake and exhaust rocker shafts are bespoke to their side of the engine? Are the shafts rotated the correct way? If the lift bolts are in then they should be on the correct side and correct way.

The lift bolts working loose, and come out, is another issue as the torque setting is so low most wrenches (other than the low 0-40Nm ones) can't accuratly get the 20Nm or so they need.

Depending how good you are with the tools the valve cover can come off in about 20 minutes for a quick check for the status of the bolts and rocker shafts.

Plus all the other ideas mentioned above too.

and ur sure he didnt put a powerFC into it and set the low cam to continue to 7K rpms with no change over until after that ?????

sorry most of the ideas i had are taken above so i had to add one from left field ;)

• 1 month later...

Cheers for the replies :) Will be taking it in again to the mechanics hopefully very shortly. Will point the mechanics to this page.

They are xperienced but just haven't worked on this type of engine before and information is quite hard to come by. Xoom I wouldn't have minded if they left the power fc in it :P

Filters were all cleaned out during the rebuild - to my knowledge and paperwork alot has been replaced, but all to toyota specs si everything should be fine and matching.

Keep yas posted - hopefully with good news :D

• 1 year later...

Dragging up an old thread. . Have just got my carback today and am having the same probem as this. Will be looking over this list in the next few days.. any idea if he ended up getting it fixed?

chances are its your oil pressure sensor. if your engine is only revving to 7k rpm, its the little plug next to your lift solenoid. costs like 16$ for a relacement, try that should fix it. otherwise probs low oil.

• 2 weeks later...