Todays Addition

MAP81

Hi Mark,

A bit of education required here..... Cause u now have dual pistons how exactly does this now make u stop quicker ? .....

Using the picture below i just cant see how having an extra piston will now make things better to stop quicker? ..... And do the same pads now share both pistons ?

disc-brake3.jpg

I cant tell from your picture but are the calipers larger than the stockers now that ur trying to pack double the pistons ?

These might sound like dumb questions ....but hey ull never learn if u dont ask ;) ;) ;) ...

cheers

Bill

Hey Bill,

I will do my best to explain....

Firstly the pads size of these is almost double, which obviously increases surface area of the pads in relation to what clamps the disc...ie. more friction area. ( see attached pic, not really the best pic)

post-151-1129981582_thumb.jpg

Basically the more pistons the better the distribution of pressure across the pad, Increased fade resistance and more progressive pedal feel and more pedal control.

These are still only " floating " type caliper as opposed to your " monoblock " type which are generally 4 or more piston (pistons on each side of the caliperfor both pads..which increases all the above points again even more so)

Monoblock 4 piston

post-151-1129981768_thumb.jpg

Hope this helped :D

Edited by MAP81

We've done the same single to twin piston upgrade on 4 different cars now, and it's made a fantastic difference to all the cars :D

The first was my AE93 SX with 20 valve 4age

post-151-1129983859_thumb.jpg

The second was on an AE92 Sedan with a 4AGZE conversion

post-151-1129983996_thumb.jpg

The third was on a friends AE93 SX Seca with a 16V 4age and ae111 6spd gearbox

post-151-1129984098_thumb.jpg

and the fourth is my current car....

Alot of other people have also done this swap over at www.twincam.org as it is a good bolt on upgrade. :D

Edited by MAP81

the cars other than marks are using either AE101 or AE111 "superstrut" calipers, the ones on marks car are different and were a set a mate had laying around in his pile of various toyota bits collected from toyota frontcuts over the years.

We didn't have another set of superstruts handy to compare how this set are different.

The pads looked similar to an ST165 GT4 pad, but my friend confirmed he has never had an ST165 GT4 frontcut so that's not what they are.

Edited by rollamods

I was hoping you get the calipers that looks similiar to the ones standard on WRXs.

Those type of calipers looks better :)

Anyway MAP81, how much did the conversion cost?

$100 :D

• 1 year later...