O.M.G...my gear knob becomes so LOOSE

TRDATX

Hi friends,

I just drove my 2010 model ATX to Wollongong two days ago and parked at the street in the beautiful sun light for two hours (not a quite hot day, 25 degree max).

When I came back into my car, started the engine and shifted the gear to D, :o OMG I was totally shocked how loose the knob is! I can actually turn it clockwise or anticlockwise so easily for several rounds, but it didn't become tight at all.

I'm thinking how to fix it, any friends met this issue before?thanks anyway!

maybe, just maybe the metal expanding from heat ?

it was never like this and it shouldn't be like this. I can still turn it round a bit when the car stays in cool place for several hours. :wacko:

Edited by TRDATX

Nothing wrong with thread lock, I use the Loctite 222 on a lot of things but these are parts that I still need to undo, you might want something a little stronger than this.

Nothing wrong with thread lock, I use the Loctite 222 on a lot of things but these are parts that I still need to undo, you might want something a little stronger than this.

CHEERS

I used 243(medium strength) on my old shift knob and actually had to cut it off. I would try a plumbers style thread tape before using threadlocker again.

plumber thread tape? :ph34r: i will try

thanks but I don't think I need to replace the whole thing, since I can't see any damage of it. I may try plumber tread tape and high strength threadlock. thanks anyway.

Plumbers tape is only to stop leaks, so unless you have lost of water coming out of your gear knob it's not going to do anything. Go the 222, it will still come undone.

Plumbers tape is only to stop leaks, so unless you have lost of water coming out of your gear knob it's not going to do anything. Go the 222, it will still come undone.

lol, I was wondering the plumber thread tape has such a magical function I never heard about. thanks, i'll try 222

Try it, it will give that extra thread "tightness" required. I use 222 on a daily basis and it is fine for use on nuts/bolts where you are able to use a spanner, however, trying to undo it by hand if you ever need to get it off, is not easy.

I'm not saying not to use 222, I'm just saying I wouldn't use it first.

• 2 weeks later...