Thinking of buying a Celica

Powerslave

Ive currently been driving a 1st Gen Rx7 for the last decade and as the title states I was thinking of getting a 7th Gen Celica. Ive never driven one but on paper seems to be one of the most logical choices considering I dont want a large car or a turbo and want something with available power. So I was wondering about any useful information in regards reliability and repair costs mainly.

Are motors and gearboxes readily available and or repairable? What are you looking at for a usual engine rebuild price wise - about the same as most other cars?

Also could anyone tell me which last model celica is the prefered one to get? Ive read that earlier ones were cable throttle which may be quicker off the line. I also read on an american forum that later mdels had bigger brakes? So not sure if that happened here or what.

Thanks.

Edited by Powerslave

Hey Buddy,

They are a great car - I miss having one every day.

All Aus 7th gens are 2ZZ's and therfore do not have an electronic throttles so no worries there. Like the corolla sportivo's the C52 gearboxes are the weakest links in these cars. Syncros in 2nd and 3rd seem to get a flogging and degrade if they have too much 1st-2nd action in lift. Reconditioned gearbox will set you back about $2000.

Apart form that so long as they have had regular servicing they will last forever. Mine had 200k on it when sold and still pulled hard.

im my opinion i think the 7th Gen Celica is one of the best set up FWD chassis out there (behind renault clio sports and megans).

All Aus 7th gens are 2ZZ's and therfore do not have an electronic throttles so no worries there. Like the corolla sportivo's the C52 gearboxes are the weakest links in these cars.

All Australian 2ZZs run the 6-speed C6x transmission (C60 in the Celica, C64 in the Corolla I believe)), not the 5-speed C52.

The gearboxes run well if filled with synthetic oil and the same applies with with synthetic oil for the engine cam lift.

The common problem is with the remote door lock actuators inside the doors,

Anyway mine will be up for sale in a few weeks , when my gen8 arrives.

The 7th gen Celica we got all had the same brakes through the whole production run. Don't rely on too much research from the USA as they had weird arrangements.

Aust. never got DBW, never got air injection (but we did get the revised head), 2zz only, all the same brakes.

Other than the variable lift, there isn't anything special about the engine, so is easy enough to work on. Many mechanics are put off by the variable lift however, so be sure to find someone with experience with them. That said, the engine is pretty strong.

As for which model, it depends on what you want. The SX is the lighter of the two versions, ZR is the top spec. SX didn't get ABS or sunroof unless optioned. Otherwise there is no real difference between the two.

99-2002 is the pre face lift model and 2002- is the facelift, major changes include............. Front bumper and new lift bolt design. Those are the main ones, and maybe a cabin air filter i think.

All Aus 7th gens are 2ZZ's and therfore do not have an electronic throttles so no worries there. Like the corolla sportivo's the C52 gearboxes are the weakest links in these cars.

All Australian 2ZZs run the 6-speed C6x transmission (C60 in the Celica, C64 in the Corolla I believe)), not the 5-speed C52.

glad someone knows that im going on about.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the provided information.

• With the remote door locks I could just use the key turn? Im use to alternative run arounds with my 30 yr old Rx7.
  • Gearbox probs noted…Rotaries often had similar issues, except for mine which I never thrashed.
  • So a revised head in later models? Any reliable benefits with that?
  • What’s the new lift bolt design about? Functional benefits?

Ill probly just get an early SX model anyway cuz its cheapest, lightest and old sunroofs can leak. Although ABS could be a real bonus.

Thanks again.

• With the remote door locks I could just use the key turn? Im use to alternative run arounds with my 30 yr old Rx7.
  • Gearbox probs noted…Rotaries often had similar issues, except for mine which I never thrashed.

Ill probly just get an early SX model anyway cuz its cheapest, lightest and old sunroofs can leak. Although ABS could be a real bonus.

Thanks again.

A previous owner who had this lift bolt problem and shows step by step tutorial on how to fix :)

http://www.users.on.net/~nbenjamin/tech/liftbolts/

Edited by sebastiandivita

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

its all about how you treat the gearboxes if you abuse the gearbox then the syncros will wear out quicker simple

i am running 310HP from my 7th gen celica and never had any gearbox issues even running the TRD LSD too,

Thanks again.

1. Its a common problem. You can use the key and open the door to be a gentleman for lady friends, or if you are just taking a mate and have long arms just reach accross to unlock it. ;)

2. The gearboxes ont he celica use a different shifting mechanism, although the insides are the same as the sportivo boxes, ive been told it shifts slightly better resulting in less wear and crunches, but its only minimally better as the synchros themselves are the issue.

3. AFAIK there are only small differences, the main ones to do with power are the lift bolt revisions, and the ECU rev limit drop. The pre-facelift are faster because of said rev limit differences.

4. The lift bolts are prone to breaking due to bad design, they rectified this with the facelift. Its a $100 repair (or $5 + 1 hour DIY job if youre handy with some tools) The lotus fellows say it should be done every 50,000km as a precautionary measure.

Another notable issue is foggy headlights, but nothing a headlight restorer kit from SCA cant fix :)

Ive opted for an SX model, I personally am not a fan of ABS, and need the headroom so sunroof is out of the question haha

Good luck with the car hunt mate!

Yeh ive noticed the foggy lights on a model I was perving on. Out in the sun doesnt do them any favours...not real keen on the plastic between bonnet and windscreen either but thats a modern car for you I guess. Well a car hunted me but Alan doesnt want to hang on to it for me though ;)

Thanks for the detailed reply :)

• 3 weeks later...

How do the Auto boxes hold up over time? I drove one on the weekend and it went how I thought it would go...rather well. I found putting my foot the floor rather addictive :)

• 2 months later...