Will a TRD Quickshifter solve gear notchy problems

Short shifters reduce the leverage which means shorter throws but more force required to shift them. if the gear is notchy now, you'll be swearing and cursing all day long if you go with the short shifter. :(

Thats what i thought. I know cars that i have driven with a short shift have had a pretty exact shift, u cant have any bumps or notches when it comes to the short throws otherwise its all over

hey, peekay34. The difference would not be completely noticable as we are talking about 1/2 inch difference under the ball joint. The difference in length under and above the shifter ball joint is what makes short-shifters work. I'm not saying that it will take tremendous forces to shift but any notcheyness will definitely be amplified. :D

Theoretically quick shifter should need more force to shift, maybe when things are working in perfect order it’s not noticeable. Definitely it will be harder when the things are not normal. If it is not the case all the theories of physics have to be wrong :D

So the answer to the question would it solve the shifting problem? I doubt it will.

This is Typical of this forum that gives me the irrits. You guys say that will be more difficult if you have a TRD Short Shifter. I say it does not. Do you have one ..probably not have you tried one in this car...probably not. When you have one and can comment on it please do. I found actually that it was less likely to get hung up. But how would I know I OWN one and it is Installed on my car. I am VERY HAPPPY WITH IT....GRRRRRRR

i doubt it would solve the problem.

It would more likely reduce the time to get to the problem between shifts. hehe...because you're shifting shorter.

The short shifter doesn't change the gates within the gear box, it merely changes the movement of the stick from one gear to the next.

It's the gates that make it notchy...correct me if i'm wrong.

-Chris

Correct mate it is the gates. The short Shifer just reduces the throw but does not make it any harder to shift. I find the gear box notchy and down right frustrating at times. The short shifter does not resolve the Gearbox issues just makes less movemnt in the lever which reduces that chance of doing the wrong thing note...reduces the chance but does not resolve the notchy feel.

I am with Peekay 100% on the quickshift!!!

I have driven his car on many occasions and I must say it shifts far more precise than mine. Much easier to shift in the high revs than mine and it has never not gone into gear like mine does often in high rpm.

After a unichip it is the next item on my list of mods.

When it comes to real world application a lot of hypothetical crap goes straight out the window. I spend a lot of my day as a designer designing products and parts and 9 times out of 10 it does not work in the real world as it does on paper!

Can it fix a stuffed gearbox NO. Does it improve shift quality compared to standard most definately!

This topic is not about how good the short shifter is it’s about whether it'll solve the problem or not. No one disagrees that the short shifter is making the shift pressie but simply wouldn't solve the problem.

And peekay don't take things personally mate but people can predict things analysing the facts rather than actually having to experience them. Also what makes you think you're the only one having a short shifter here?

Chill Peekay! :D Was not trying to offend. I actually want a short shifter myself. I was just trying to state theoretical knowledge.

I had a short shifter in my old celica. The shifts were by far more firmer, the reduced throw takes a little to get used to but it definitely felt firmer, stiffer and more precise. There is less freeplay in the shifter meaning less slop but any problems with the gear box will be felt on the stick while shifting for sure. Once you've taken a car past 200,000km, you'll feel it man! :D

I find the shift is short enough, My last car had a shift that was slightly longer than this one and when i started to drive this car i found that it was ideal for me. I guess untill i drive a car with a shorter shifter i cant say that its better or worse

(hint hint: I think that alot of the members are wanting a drive of that red bullet) :D :P :D

Will not mention any names of course (legal reasons)

Black455 I did not say it fixed the problem it reduces the problem but when people start talking in general about something they don't have and start making an issue over a comment that is made by a member to degrade their opinion or experiences. Then it does become a problem. I don't have as many issues as some people have. The quickshifter has reduced the problems that I had. I am not accusing anyone of not having the quickshifter and having issues. What I am sick of is people thinking they know better than anyone else. I have had various members here who have been in my car and agree with me on how it drives compared to thier own car. By the way do you have a TRD Quickshifter mate.. I would like to know and I guess so would every one else.

Yes peekay I do have a TRD quick shifter (which cost me nearly 600 that’s another story) and as you say I'm also lucky enough not to have any problems with my gearbox even before I had the shifter so no complaints and I'm lov'in it too.

Also peekay no hard feelings buddy we all are here because we love our stivos and with all good intentions :D

A short shifter would be great guys, but i don't think it will simply fix the problem. The problem with the gearbox is that it is hard to pull back on the lever at 8k, the syncro's are getting jammed up at high rpm and it becomes harder to shift the closer you are to redline.

So it might be wiser to change oil's / look at gear linkages from the the lever to the box, cause if there only slightly streatched the shifts would become inaccurate and feel notchy cause of the cables stretching from miss shifts and any sort of crunches and bangs you've herd before.

Cool Black455 no problems no hard feelings at all. My comment I made was because many people in here who do not have the mods make comments that is why I asked.

If you need good deals talk to Bruce at www.trdsales.com he is very helpful.

Rgds

Paul

Cool Black455 no problems no hard feelings at all. My comment I made was because many people in here who do not have the mods make comments that is why I asked.

If you need good deals talk to Bruce at www.trdsales.com he is very helpful.

Rgds

Paul

Cheers Paul I'll talk to him next time when I want something from TRD