Negatron's Second Car

Which would you get?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok boys, you can't put a poll up in the general discussions area (can we fix that?)

But here wego, I'm pondering getting a 2nd car as a fun toy (to get out of my system the urge to get a convertible/coupe)

and also in case I have to sell my rolla to fund a family project (then i'll have something to take me to work whilst i sort out the rolla replacement)

Here are the 2 I’m considering atm.

For about 3500 and it’ll take me about 1500 to fix him up to a decent road worthy condition

Or this here toyota sera for $4000, and currently no idea the roadworthy costs. (i'll find out soon.)

Pls also post things like parts availability and stuff like to consider?

thanks guys!

post-1027-1131430176_thumb.jpg

post-1027-1131430368.jpg

post-1027-1131430380.jpg

Edited by negatron

I've voted Sera, because its a Toyota and being based on the Starlet/Paseo, there's much that can be done should this become your one-and-only.

However, if you end up with the Bug, have a chat to Silvabullit ... he knows a fair amount about making VW's get up and boogie!

MX5 1st Gen !

Might cost around $9-$10K but you'll never wipe the smile off your face !

Most fun you can have with your clothes on  :D

Nah, whilst i think the mx5s are great for that price, i'll be hunting down an MR2

I voted for VW... While I think the Sera would be good sticking with Toyota, I think it was one of the less attractive vehicles they made. Not enough street cred..

The V-Dub convertable though....ruff..... :P

Hmm, went to test drive the beetle and after driving a modern car. The old schoolness of the beetle is just a little unsettling, like ur're just waiting for something to break down.

As for the sera, spoke a a couple of import shops today, apparantly sera parts a soooo hard to find. perhaps this is not going to be a good idea after all. :o

Just buy a normal Beetle not someone's chop shop attemp at a convertible. :( The only VW convertible I'd buy is genuine factory and look to spend at least $10K plus to own one. ;)

For $3-$4K you can pick up a reasonable bug (1970-1976). The earlier models are not all that nice to drive and have drum brakes all round that can shudder enough to loosen your fillings. :lol:

Just buy a normal Beetle not someone's chop shop attemp at a convertible. :(  The only VW convertible I'd buy is genuine factory and look to spend at least $10K plus to own one. ;)

For $3-$4K you can pick up a reasonable bug (1970-1976). The earlier models are not all that nice to drive and have drum brakes all round that can shudder enough to loosen your fillings. :lol:

Hey silva, thanks for the advice. this bug was converted in the 70s with an engineering cert, its actually one of those clutchless manuals, weird little thing. Anyhow its a 1970 bug. know anything about these?

they are the two worst options ever!

sera could possibly the gimmickyest most boaring car ever to come onto the australian market.

Buy something useful like a nissan micra and make it into a track car for CHEAP.

If you buy either car i will beat you.

hahaha, :D . But i'm a ricer not a racer :D .

Anyway. I was seriously considering a cheap starlet GT i found, but then after compliance work and all that it came up to around 8000ish (which is still decent for a starlet GT) but it got too pricey for me. the catch 22 is that i can't free money up till i sell the rolla and i can't sell the rolla unless i have anothe car. sigh

It's a low price bracket but you should be able to find quite alot of fun/reliable options other than those two.

Personally, if your intention is to keep the cost down, I'd really stay away from grey imports.

1.8 n13 SSS Pulsars still go nicely have an LSD, aren't fetching too much, and you really wouldn't need to spend anything on them.

A Nissan Exa Targa should be able to satisfy your convertible desire without costing too much too.

These are only two but you've got quite a few options to look at.

yeah, i've been eyeing the exas for a while and the old mr2s as well, we'll see, i don't like the idea of selling my rolla but family is family no?

Dude...Get an MR2 MkII Turbo 1990 model's are going for cheap!!!

I'll second on you on that choice. I'm thinking of getting one myself soon!!!

Oh make sure it's the targa top version...nice for summer!!! :D :D :D

save as much as u can... wait 3 years

then wen the new 15 year rule kicks in for the r33, supras....... and my favourite.....

THE FD! RX7 import it with lotsa mods =D (saves u the trouble of modding). :lol:

Well i think get an ae86 hahaha and turn it into a drift car, or even a sprinter with a supercharger or 20v dumped into it. You also pick up a 96ish jap spec levin 1.6 lt quart throttle levin for 14k ish that can beat or keep up with a stivo.....some of the boyz like Xoom and RunX saw it go, and it goes pretty good..... :P cheers