Synthetic Oil

Zeerolla: I got the lightweight shockproof in my tranny, I recommend it for every gearbox that can take it. The gearbox was easily smoother, less notchy and felt as though it could now handle hard 1-2 shifts.

Up in Brisbane (which doesn't really help you much) Thompsons and Coventry Auto Parts (Oz distributers) sell all Redline products.

thanks man, but i get confusing suggestions here, some people say the MT-90 is better and some say the shockproof. Your experience? Or anybody? And how much was it again in AUS$?

Edited by ZEEROLLA

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was going to change my oil at my 10k service it hasnt been changed yet. Was going to get either Redline or Amsoil, anyone had experience with these oils? Damn Redline is expensive 120 bux for 4 litres (10W30)!!!

Edited by specialized32

i was going to change my oil at my 10k service it hasnt been changed yet. Was going to get either Redline or Amsoil, anyone had experience with these oils? Damn Redline is expensive 120 bux for 4 litres (10W30)!!!

120bux for 4litres of oil!!! :blink: Damn that's daylight robbery.. maybe for filthy rich people that drive Masseratis and Ferraris they can spend a couple of hundred bux on oils but for our little Toyota its not like it does a better job than a $45 Castrol Edge full synthetic 5W30, i don't think its necessary. I was checking out the price for Redline transmission oil but i think it is going to be overcharged like their engine oils i think i'll forget it.

Yeah, its also $120 for a gallon of Shockproof. You only need 2L so its $60 if you buy 2 quarts. To be honest I havn't tried MT-90, so can't comment on it. I figured $60 isn't to bad since it will be in there for a while. But $120 for engine oil is a bit pricy considering its only there for 10 thousand.

But a better buy for the best oil on sale is Motul 300V, its about $90 for 4L

Yeah, its also $120 for a gallon of Shockproof. You only need 2L so its $60 if you buy 2 quarts. To be honest I havn't tried MT-90, so can't comment on it. I figured $60 isn't to bad since it will be in there for a while. But $120 for engine oil is a bit pricy considering its only there for 10 thousand.

But a better buy for the best oil on sale is Motul 300V, its about $90 for 4L

Saw the Motul 300v 10w-40 4L for $80

http://www.repcoshop.com.au/ASP/Catalogue/CatPage12.asp

Zeerolla: I got the lightweight shockproof in my tranny, I recommend it for every gearbox that can take it. The gearbox was easily smoother, less notchy and felt as though it could now handle hard 1-2 shifts.

Up in Brisbane (which doesn't really help you much) Thompsons and Coventry Auto Parts (Oz distributers) sell all Redline products.

thanks man, but i get confusing suggestions here, some people say the MT-90 is better and some say the shockproof. Your experience? Or anybody? And how much was it again in AUS$?

Zee, Im using Redline Shockproof myself and it does feel better than what was in there previously. However to answer your question MT-90 is the recommended for 'normal' driving habits however the shockproof is more for the track people.

Whether you choice MT-90 or Lightweight you will feel a difference but i'd go for the shockproof as it only cost alittle more than the MT-90 and it will not hurt to have it in your tranny.

btw for the sportivo you will need 3quarts from memory the sportivo requires 2.3L and the 1ZZ only requires 1.9L

I'm running the Motul 4100 15W50 right now, its just a mix of mineral and synthetic. I needed oil right then and there, so the 300V 10W40 will be making its way into my engine in about a month. My brother is running 300V 10W40 in his Clio and says its about the same as Castrol Formula R that used to be put in it. But I'm not sure if the Castrol was the same weight. I'm a fan of Motul products so I would say go the Motul.

Edited by SuperDave

• 1 month later...

hi!!!

can a 1ZZ use full synthetic oil??

ive read a couple saying that... 1zz's oil is mineral base...

wt will happen???

yeah you can use Synthetic or Mineral in the 1ZZ.

It will run fine on either.

Important thing is to get the correct Viscosity ie. 10W-30 or API SL

and change it every 6 months or 10,000 kms

Look in the Owners Manual.

i was reading the oil review conducted by street commodore magazine and i was really really suprised with the results that came from the test, for eg the 1 im using motul turbo light oil performed as 1 of the worst oils and left alot of wear on the test bearing same as mobil 1 and shell helix ultra, i was really suprised with penrite's fully synthetic 5w 60 which left next to no wear on the test bearing.

• 2 weeks later...

will it effect the warranty if i supply my own oil????

as long as the oil is within the normal operating limits as specified by toyota in the car manual then nope it wont void ur warrenty.

For the record im a royal purple man myself http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/rpmoa.html ... and before anyone asks .... yes the colour of the oil is actually purple :P :P :P :P :P :P

Can't speak highly enough of Royal Purple, best oil I have used. I use 10W40 & find it gives more power & keeps the enigine noise down.

Having said that has anyone used Penrite HPR oil, in particular 5W40?

I just performed my routine 5000kms oil change today, i usually use castrol formula R and was shocked when i couldnt find it. After looking around i noticed it has been replaced by Castrol Edge 5w-30. After the oil change i went for a quick drive and give this improved oil a big thumbs up :lol::lol: . The car seems to rev more freely than before, so there must of been an improvement or my oil was just old ahahha which i doubt as i change it every 5000kms

I highly recommend this oil for others to use as well ;) ;)

motul oil performed the worst? sounds like a kikback from penrite to me :ph34r: , motul is regarded as one of the best oils out there or just not meant for commodores? Was going to get motul on my 10k oil change but its too expensive ($80+ for 5L) so im going to try Castrol Edge 5w30 instead and see how goes, from what i have heard its a good oil for stivo owners and its reasonably priced plus i give up theres too many choices (fuchs,motul,royal purple,mobil,penrite etc etc etc).

my local toyota dealer recommended Fully Synthetic Pennsoil 5-50($70NZD for 5L), I've been using it for ~2 months and the starts seem to be "harder", like it is struggling more, previous it had 5-30 no-name non-synthetic(importer put it in).

I'll probably go with some 0-30 next time, thin is better right :blink:

I know I know, not necessarily, but I'm in the deep south(Dunedin NZ, -10C winter mornings, 32C summer afternoons), so I figure the thinner when cold the better?

Edited by barryogen

question to people here who are well educated about engine oils...

I am about to get my 1zz tuned and am doing a pre-tune oil replacement, as well as filter. I have read some debates about filters before, but is it worth getting a genuine toyota filters or will a $5 filter from super cheap suffice? Also, my engine just hit 70,000kms and i have heard that maybe fully synthetic oil will not suitable for engine that has that many k's on it, so i am thinking (instead of fully synthetic royal purple) getting HPR15 Penrite semi synthetic, i have seen good results from it first hand.

Suggestions?

Cheers

I would stay away from cheap filters, spend a few dollers more and you could potentially save your engine. The real synthetics are really only needed in race engines or if you thrash your engine. A high quality oil will be fine for normal driving. An oil cooler is a better investment (when I get time I'll have a guide to put one in).

In regards to the high milage question. I ran Motul 4100 (mineral/synthetic) on my last car from 150k to 210k before I got rid of it and it used to run full mineral. Burnt oil for 1000km initially, but the engine was still in perfect condition.

Edited by SuperDave

question to people here who are well educated about engine oils...

I am about to get my 1zz tuned and am doing a pre-tune oil replacement, as well as filter. I have read some debates about filters before, but is it worth getting a genuine toyota filters or will a $5 filter from super cheap suffice? Also, my engine just hit 70,000kms and i have heard that maybe fully synthetic oil will not suitable for engine that has that many k's on it, so i am thinking (instead of fully synthetic royal purple) getting HPR15 Penrite semi synthetic, i have seen good results from it first hand.

Suggestions?

Cheers

i think ur better off getting a 10w-40 hpr penrite oil or even go i think its 5w-40 because of the colder months ahead

Penrite actually specifiy the HPR 5W40 for the 2ZZ engine on their website.

where can we buy royal purple from

To Vitagen

Royal Purple is available form Pep's Automotive stores

• 2 years later...