Synthetic Oil

i use castrol synth r 5w30

Ditto, but I notice that this oil discolours more quickly (ie. doesn't 'last' as long) as whatever my dealer uses. I might try Mobil 1 at my next change, but also I don't want to use a 0W oil, especially in Summer.

Edited by oz_viking

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i use castrol synth r 5w30

Ditto, but I notice that this oil discolours more quickly (ie. doesn't 'last' as long) as whatever my dealer uses. I might try Mobil 1 at my next change, but also I don't want to use a 0W oil, especially in Summer.

Discoloring might suggest that the oil was cleaning up the engine ? something it was meant to do

im due for a new oil change

cos its been abuot 7000 km

and i can feel the car is not at its prime!

but yeah the synth r is quite cheap at 36 bux a bottle ( super cheap 20% storewide )

this is going to be my second lot of oil !

Just did my oil change using Mobil synthS 10w40, and the car feels a little more sluggish. Just wondering if any of you guys are using fully synthetic and how t feels?

is that the mobil 1 'gold' 10w40??

if it is.....than it shouldnt feel more sluggish ; me n northy r both using that n our cars run sweet :)

if it isnt the mobil 1 'gold' than go buy sum :)

I went to my Autobarn to look for the Mobil 1 'gold' 10w40 but what they had was the gold Mobil 1 Super

Synthetic 10w30. Are they relatively similar?

Mobil 1 Gold Super Synthetic does not come in 10W40.

Either 10W30 or 0W40

A few members including myself are using 10W30, which is the recommended grade from Toyota.

Car runs great, no dramas :)

Around $90 for a 5L (ZZE123 takes around 4.7L i think)

.. you guys are lucky that they at least using a semi - synthetic at your dealers in AUS. In South Africa they use a 20W 50 - Castrol GTX 2 mineral oil :-(

i have recently changed to castrol edge 10W 60 - car is smoother through the rev range but a bit noisy on idle.

.. you guys are lucky that they at least using a semi - synthetic at your dealers in AUS. In South Africa they use a 20W 50 - Castrol GTX 2 mineral oil :-(

i have recently changed to castrol edge 10W 60 - car is smoother through the rev range but a bit noisy on idle.

Really, do they use the GTX2 when they off the production line too? Its interesting to know!

I'll probably get my car serviced on Tuesday. Already have Castrol Formula Synthetic oil (5W30) waiting in my garage. I'll see how it differs from Motul after I get the service done, althought I doubt I'll be able to notice any significant differences.

• 1 month later...

will it effect the warranty if i supply my own oil????

as long as the oil is within the normal operating limits as specified by toyota in the car manual then nope it wont void ur warrenty.

For the record im a royal purple man myself http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/rpmoa.html ... and before anyone asks .... yes the colour of the oil is actually purple :P :P :P :P :P :P

that's looks like a great choice for lazy people hey bill :P

Y i dont know what u mean :P :P :P :P :P :P .... Either way though i still change it every 5k km's due to the increased reving of the car ;) ;) ;) ;)

Well, had my 30k service yesterday and I supplied them with Castrol Magnatec 5w30. So far I like it. Didn't think that it would make that much of a difference to the car but it has. Revving now feels a lot smoother than before and engine seems to be a little quieter.

Well, had my 30k service yesterday and I supplied them with Castrol Magnatec 5w30. So far I like it. Didn't think that it would make that much of a difference to the car but it has. Revving now feels a lot smoother than before and engine seems to be a little quieter.

How much did the 30K service end up costing you?

just noticed there's a new range by castrol called Edge, which is supposed to replace the synth r series.. there's this castrol edge sport 5w-30 fully syn selling for $45.. which i think is a great buy.. any1 tried this?

Dont know much about this new Castrol Edge stuff yet but the 0w-40 version is recommended for the 2zz-ge in Castrol's online lube guide.

I'm currently running Castrol Formumla R 5w-30 and thinking of making the switch as Castrol no longer recommend the Formula R for the 2zz-ge.

I find it funny that Castrol recommends different oils from time to time based on their current product range.

Marketing stunt?!?

I did my oil change this morning and put Castrol Edge sport 5w-30 fully synthetic in. Nearly did my socket set in because toyota service tighten the sump plug nut way too tight. I had to end up using my foot and body weight to get it off. Fortunately the oil filter came off okay.

Anyway, Lift is definitely stronger with this stuff in it and engine idles noticeably quieter and runs smoother. I just hope it lasts as the normal castrol oil that Toyota uses in it's servicing last for about 1000ks before you can feel it getting rough as gear changes aren't as smooth.