Over revving

rat jack

I have a 2004 Landcruiser with a 1HD-FTE engine. When accelerating up through the gears the accelerator sticks when pressing the clutch in. It will hold the revs, sometime increase them for about 1-2 seconds. Standing still and down shifting is fine.

Thanks for any help

rat jack

I have an inkling that the throttle cable ( From memory am not 100% sure ) is sticking. I had the same problem with my 4runner and replaced the entire cable. Probleem solved If you have non genuijne totota floor mats, this can cause a few issues with the accelorator peda,l or clutch pedal sticking to the floor mat. Check that the loud pedal when fully depressed is not sticking for a few seconds. Its annoying to say the least, but worth a try. If that doesnt help, suggest a new throttle cable, and that should be the end of your problem.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's designed to do that - Toyota electronic throttles seem to have a habit of holding revs for a bit after you lift off the throttle, makes quick gear changes sound rather strange and un-natural

Wouldn't be surprised if it's designed to do that - Toyota electronic throttles seem to have a habit of holding revs for a bit after you lift off the throttle, makes quick gear changes sound rather strange and un-natural

I have also experienced this, it is quite an unnerving feeling actually.

Having been a mechanic by trade and a business owner now retired, I am still of the opimion that its related to the throttle . Does your vehicle have throttle sensors on the accelarator pedal and the sensors on the the throttle body. I had a 2008 Nissan Patrol with the 3.0 lite turbo diesel. Aftter about a year I noticed and felt that nearly every time I wanted to pull away from the traffic lights or overtaking, the engine would cut out then cut back in. Caused me no end of angst. Sold it for a V6 Prado, only to find that Nissam Japan had found the cause of the cutting out problem and recalled all the models that were affected. Took a day and a half to fix each cars problem. However I am more than pleased with the V6 Prado.