Satellite Navigation

Cosmo

I asked about the Sat Nav when I brought my Sportivo. Apparently its about $2000 and for that money you dont even get a premium sound system incorporated.

Theres a double-din space there in the Corolla, surely Toyota could come up with a 6 disc in dash with

Sat-Nav plus seperate sub and amp(s) and premium speakers.

All of the equipment could be located under the front seats as per the premium sound system in the

Mazda 3's. The Bose systems in those are quite nice.

And the fact that you dont have to spend a day installing an aftermarket system or let some stereo installer loose in your car is icing on the cake!

My sister is about to buy a brand new Levin :D and saw that we could get sat nav in it. Just wanting to know, do any of you corolla-owners have sat nav?

yes, i have an after market sat nav system [not toyota's though] :)

using "globalsat bt338" bluetooth gps with my o2 xda iii pda / smartphone with destinatorPN navigation software. it works very well and have tried and tested in the south west of w.a. ;)

you can definately get dedicated all-in-one gps solution for the car that is cheaper than what comes from toyota

e.g. navman, mio or tomtom

checkout below for approximate pricing:

$499 inc gst

http://www.ow.com.au/shop/product_info.php...products_id/988

• 3 weeks later...

Extremely interested ot hear from other members with some sort of Sat Nav in their vehicles, whether it be portable or installed.

Already mentioned is: Navman, Mio, Tomtom.

There are also others out there: Garmin, VDO, Margellan etc just to name a few.

Please provide as much feedback as possible including models and their effectiveness/accuracy etc.

Also mention whether you've found your unit to work well in tunnells, amongst tall buildings or under tree cover etc.

Thanks guys.

Extremely interested ot hear from other members with some sort of Sat Nav in their vehicles, whether it be portable or installed.

Already mentioned is: Navman, Mio, Tomtom.

There are also others out there: Garmin, VDO, Margellan etc just to name a few.

Please provide as much feedback as possible including models and their effectiveness/accuracy etc.

Also mention whether you've found your unit to work well in tunnells, amongst tall buildings or under tree cover etc.

Thanks guys.

I have a Navman iCN 510 for 1/2 year now. I chose Navman over Garman C320 or TomTom because of its size. I can store my Navman in the drawer under the air-con controls and unlike other member on this forum he has to store his TomTom in the glove box or centre armrest.

In terms of accuracy it is very good in the suburbs and out open. But last week I was in the city near The Rocks, I turned on my Navman at George St where QVB is. My car was virtually sitting in the same spot for 10 minutes because it was peak hour traffic and the Navman still didn't pick up any GPS signal. And finally it got GPS signals but it tells me I am off George St already!! At the light I was waiting to turn right and the Navman jumped around few places sometimes telling me in still at George St and sometimes elsewhere. While I was stilling in the exact same spot!!

PS. I will ask the other member to give his comments on his TomTom.

Edited by Dennis_ZZE122

I have the same navman as dennis ..

Have had it for a week or so now ..

I found it very accurate .. only time was when I went on the M7 and obviously its not on the maps yet ..

Other than that I found it did give different routes when you calculate quickest v's shortest ..

Havent driven trough the city yet with the GPS ... I m sure a booster antenna will help any gps with high buildings etc .. ebay has them for pretty cheap ..

I chose this for the same reason as dennis .. its small, light and easy to use . (ultra portable)

I generally connect and get a signal in 20 seconds or so

Instructions are clear .. I know the tom tom has different accents .. eg pommy of american or even austin powers n other cool stuff you can download from the internet .. so if that appeals then maybe play around with the tom tom ..

with the navman you either have the choice of a man or woman ..

Thats about all I can say at the moment .. coz its only been a week or so

I do recommend buy those PDA with GPS antenna, and just purchase the GPS software from Navman or other brand, then you will have a GPS system plus a fully function PDA and total cost should be <$1000.

I bought my PDA in HK $400 and a Navman program on ebay for $300.

For accuracy, i can say its only +/- 10m, but only when u travel legal speed. For me, as my average speed is 80km in the city, it always notify me to turn when i just pass that corner <_<

But anyway, its really worth to have 1.

Ok I have a few comments and questions regarding the last few posts guys.

Navman seems to be the popular choice for size and ease of use but still has its problems. Lets face it, its not cheap enough to say "oh, i'll just buy it and give it a try".

I'm interested now to hear from Tom Tom owners as while their product might be larger, there are other benefits.

I was reading that some of their models have bluetooth which can sync with your bluetooth enabled mobile and act as a handfree kit! I have to say thats very handy. As for the other specifics; reliability and accuracy etc I'm not sure.

Speak up people!

Edited by mick0082

Ok I have a few comments and questions regarding the last few posts guys.

Navman seems to be the popular choice for size and ease of use but still has its problems. Lets face it, its not cheap enough to say "oh, i'll just buy it and give it a try".

I'm interested now to hear from Tom Tom owners as while their product might be larger, there are other benefits.

I was reading that some of their models have bluetooth which can sync with your bluetooth enabled mobile and act as a handfree kit! I have to say thats very handy. As for the other specifics; reliability and accuracy etc I'm not sure.

Speak up people!

I recently purchase a Tom Tom One. Whilst it is still larger than the navman it is smaller than the Tom Tom Go's which i am sure was being referred to earlier. The Tom Tom one has a new GPS Antenna that is highly rated. I haven't used it around Sydney CBD yet but have used it around Brisbane CBD and never even got close to losing the signal. Accuracy is pretty damn good. I used the navman prior to getting the Tom Tom and found that it was good, but after buying the Tom Tom i found that the Tom Tom displays everything i want to know (Current Time, Time You will arrive at destination, current speed, km's remaining, km to next turn etc all on the one screen without having to constantly touch the screen to change the display)

All in all, having used both i am more than happy i chose to go with the tom tom even though it is bigger (BTW the Tom Tom One easily fits into the slot above the ashtray) and besides, the size isn't all negative, it all depends on what your preferences are. I mean because the Tom Tom is bigger you can actually use your fingers a lot easier and everthing is done this way, whereas with the Navman you have to use the pen for most of it the benefit being that you can carry it in your pocket a lot easier and inconspicously. If you do research on the Tom Tom One there were reports saying the speaker on it wasn't as loud as the Tom Tom Go's and whilst this MIGHT be correct ( i haven't used the GO) i cant imagine i situation where you would need the volume to be louder than what is on the One).

The Tom Tom One retails for $799 and has only been out since the start of the month and i have already seen it in the small amount of looking i have done post purchase for as low as $730. Mapping is very quick and GPS lock is usually VERY quick (especially if you don't turn the unit on until you are outside) Bootup time is next to non existant after the first use when the SD card is inserted.

Thats about it... if anyone has anymore questions about it or wants photos etc just ask, more than happy to help! BTW, by no means am i rubbishing the Navman, i just prefer the Tom Tom as it suits my work and personal needs better.

Sorry about the message being a bit all over the place... was just typing as i thought :S

I have to agree with everything you have just said Tivo matt

iv got the Tom Tom is very accurate and the antenna is sharp i wsa picking up signal down in gorges and in mountainous areas!

and if you take the wrong road the recorrection is within 2seconds!

iv got the Tom Tom is very accurate and the antenna is sharp i wsa picking up signal down in gorges and in mountainous areas!

Peter let's do a Sat Nav swap and give a more extensive report here!!

Peter let's do a Sat Nav swap and give a more extensive report here!!

mines the newer version .. .so for accuracy you can swap with me hhahhahah :P

the difference between iCN 510 and 520 is... colour

the hardware is the same, iCN 520 just comes with remote standard and 2005 maps and software.

i got mine software updated as well, so actaully we are even steven...

the difference between iCN 510 and 520 is... colour

the hardware is the same, iCN 520 just comes with remote standard and 2005 maps and software.

i got mine software updated as well, so actaully we are even steven...

I just wanna play with the accents and different voices !!!!

u can have it after that ....:P

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Navman iCN520 and it really poor for a GPS but I got what I paid for. It takes too long to register satellites. Took about 10mins standing in the same spot to put a dot on the map and it's a common occurance where I might be driving a good 15km before it all registers. No clouds, no tall buildings with glass to fool the GPS signals etc...

With the iCN510, wear polarised sunglasses and you can't see the screen. I ran one for a while as a loaner from work. A problem fixed in the 520. The screens are also too small to see from the dash and best mounted on the side window but the suction mounts will ruin tint if you have tinted windows. Well, any suction devices on tint will wreck it so don't do it.

Conclusion for the 520, I passed it onto the better half that doesn't use the car all that often.

Nothing beats integrated because it also gathers in steering inputs, speed sensors so if your going in a long tunnel, they'll know pretty accurately where you are under the ground. None of the portable ones have this feature (obviously) and something not many people know about. Pretty important if you are underground and there's a turn off. Disadvantage is of course price.

Edited by SmellyTofu

I used to have my HP PDA with Bluetooth connection. So what i did was, i bought the NAVMAN SmartST Software, then GPS Antenna, and works fantastic!! :)

all the above costs me less than $550aud. :D

Do you get voice direction/instruction with that software?

I used to have my HP PDA with Bluetooth connection. So what i did was, i bought the NAVMAN SmartST Software, then GPS Antenna, and works fantastic!! :)

all the above costs me less than $550aud. :D

Do you get voice direction/instruction with that software?

With Navman SmartST you do. :) exactly the same softaware as the Navman iCN520.

well for me, i bought the HP iPAQ hx2790 for $490 and the CF GPS Receiver for $114. Got the latest Destinator PN for free (heh heh....downloaded). Integrated all of them.....WOHLAH....a working Sat Nav Unit. Total for mine's $604.00

tested it so far....working like a charm. ;)

• 5 weeks later...

destinator smartST and PN.... what is the difference?? :D

SmartST is for the Navman range. PN is for Destinator...known as Destinator PN (Personal Navigator). Usually Navman is a dedicated mapping device fixed permanently into your car but for the Destinator PN, I am using my own PDA and equipping it with a GPS receiver and works as a map nagivating device just like the Navman. ;)