CAI is Incredible

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all.

I recently installed a TRD CAI kit on my 03 Corolla Sportivo. During the installation, I realised the instructions didn't always correspond, possibly because the kit was originally designed for an American model. I've had an issue since. When the engine's cold, it coughs/chokes and doesn't wanna take off. I took it to a performance mechanic and he said a SAFC will possibly help.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced a similar problem and how it could be fixed.

Thanks! =)

What does SAFC stand for? wat does it do?

did u get it? wat was the price?

yeah i started to have the same issue as you 03 Corolla Sportivo, in the mornings when i start her,

she coughs/chokes, but i just let her get warmed up and is all good....

cheers

mario

SAFC is Super Air Flow Converter. It's s'pose to control the air/fuel ratio.

I haven't got it yet, simply cos it costs a ridiculous amount of money. Probably at least $1000+ Australian dollars including tuning.

Is it worth doing a CAI setup on a Corolla Conquest (Automatic), or would i just be wasting my money?

If its worthwhile, where can i go in Sydney to pickup a kit and get it installed?

(Does it also void my warranty?)

Is it worth doing a CAI setup on a Corolla Conquest (Automatic), or would i just be wasting my money?

If its worthwhile, where can i go in Sydney to pickup a kit and get it installed?

(Does it also void my warranty?)

it will void your warranty for sure, unless you take it out everytime you're going back to Toyota :D

CAI is better than stock air box. :D

it will void your warranty for sure, unless you take it out everytime you're going back to Toyota :D

CAI is better than stock air box. :D

hmmmz

might wait another year then :P

Out of curiousity how much more power would i get out of a CAI setup?

Edited by neK

if you're lucky 1-2hp

you will not GAIN (maybe not even a single hp) heaps from just a CAI. if you want power you gotta spend heaps more $$$ :P

i've got a custom CAI myself, and i dont feel the diff in power....might have to do a dyno run soon and see if there's a power diff. but with CAI you will get a deeper louder sound :D

if you're lucky 1-2hp

you will not GAIN (maybe not even a single hp) heaps from just a CAI. if you want power you gotta spend heaps more $$$ :P

really?

tell that to the guys at the last dyno day then, including myself..

stock STIVO 102-103KWs

Stivo with JUST CAI 110Kws

thats a 7kw diff.. which is huge on a highly tuned NA engine

if you're lucky 1-2hp

really?

stock STIVO 102-103KWs

I really doubt that. Maybe if the conditions were right you could do that....say.. Were ya'll blowing air at the cai? Was it a cold day? Even then the 7kw difference only happens at a few seconds. where those dyno charts =/

Edited by Super Kaioken

Here you go princess...

everyone knows that a CAI is one of the best bang for buck mods on the "Corolla Sportivo"

dynosheet.JPG

we had plenty of stivos there on the day..

stock ones pulled 102-103KW

ones with CAI all pulled around 110kw.. highest been 112Kw

I went for a ride in Eggbert_99 car with a Shift Performance CAI. It drives like a totally different car to my stock 1zz.

I don't know if all the other CAI have the same performance but definately big difference to a stock car.

So far i have yet to see a Sportivo with a CAI pull under 110kw atw.. not in NSW anyway. The last dynoday i went to there was only i stock 2zz and it was a Celica that pulled 103kw, all the Stivos pulled 113kw and above if that's anythng to go by and take note that results may vary day to day, even run after run. ;)

:lol:

im gonna bitch slap the next person that says the rollas dont gain power from a CAI. :angry:

here's a dyno on an 05 Rolla XRS with the 170hp spec 2ZZ. only mods were an ebey special Short ram ($25 US) and a Magnaflow muffler.

dyno.gif

Edited by JCTurbo

rollas dont gain power from a CAI :)

actually, they do... :P +/- 7kw atw sounds about right. been like that since day one across the board of all stivos. on other cars maybe not. that's y it's not cool to generalise statements. every car has it's own traits.

hey jus wondering, how much difference does it make wif the size of the pod??

to me a bigger pod makes a louder induction noise, hence better :P i think so long as they are hi-flow and no a ridiculously small size its ok, thats why manufacturers make pods in all sorts of sizes and shapes.

if you're lucky 1-2hp

really?

stock STIVO 102-103KWs

Bills car pulled 108kw stock and there were some cars there with cai that were pulling 104-105kw if i remember correct . All the cars that got over 110kw were early 03 models, i think they have different heads and flow better at top end.

Bills car pulled 108kw stock and there were some cars there with cai that were pulling 104-105kw if i remember correct . All the cars that got over 110kw were early 03 models, i think they have different heads and flow better at top end.

mines an 04 and i pulled 4th highest :P over 110kw

• 3 weeks later...

Thanx to Motoman for installing my injen cai !!! :)

i;ve experienced my 1st injen lift experience.. boy does it feel great.. sounds awesome aswell .. my wheels spin on gear 1 and 2 now .. that is something new ! *wrapped* falling in love with the beast once again ! from a short-ram intake to cai .. big difference in power gain .. :lol:

I agree with what u say about 03 models. My wife's 03 easliy goes up a hill near my house in 6th gear where in my 04 it's better to change down a gear. Although mine feels like it accelerates harder from standstill.

So one person said its a waste, and others disagree in general (but from what i gather these are all sportivos).

So what about just plain Conquest Automatic? Worth it? or just like Leasaunce said, there's no point?