Installation of Eyelids

Hey All,

Anyone have any hints, tips, tricks and suggestions as to how to properly and securely attach the current model shape corolla eyelids. The instructions come in Japanese, and like most of us...i can't read Japanese..so it's pretty useless....the pictures are a little helpful..but i'd rather read it.

Should i add more double sided tape in the vacant spaces? are there marks on the headlights that i should take note of whilst installing the eyelids.

Are eyelids illegal?

i'd rather the stivo look like this.... :angry: instead of this... :blink:

hahaha.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx

-Chris

Tiger - I'm commenting here on Genuine Toyota eylids from HK. You will need to double check that they are a good fit, and have an even gap all around and the same gab on both eyelids. you might need to cut/sand back some of the curves on the lids as I know that both of mine were not 100% exact when I got them.

The tape that is on mine is VERY solid and covers the whole circumfrence of the lid. I found it best to just attach the corners of the lids to make sure the gaps are right then remove the rest of the tape by using some twesers to get under the lids. very difficult and time consuming but i got it right first time. (apart from one having a slightly larger gap then the other side)

hi guys,

i just recieved a set of eyelids in the mail courtesy of e-gene ;)

was just wonderin whats the best way to install. asides from the lids it came with lots of squares of double sided tape.

i wanted to ask

1. where is the best place to position the tape, what size pieces to cut it into, does it matter which side goes on what (i noticed one side of the tape is labelled red)

2. where should the lid sit? should u follow the outline of the headlamp, or should u let it slightly cover the gap? basically should u be more inclined to cover the gap, or not. as i notice that the eyelid can sort of hang off the edge of that gap as it has bits that let it cling on.

Hey Richi,

If you place the eyelids on without the tape first, you'll see that there's only 1 way to place it on the headlamp. The grooves on it makes it sit in place.

As for the double sided tape. You've got to make sure that the ends of the eyelids are well adhesived cos those are the most important parts. What I did was to place the double sided tape at the edges and cut it to shape. I also place 2 big rectangles in the centre of the eyelid and the other bits I just stuck them wherever there was an empty space.

It doesn't matter which side you use, but from what I can see, the red side is stickier than the yellow, so I placed the yellow side on the eyelids and the red on the headlamp.

If you look at the picture of my car in the gallery, you'll see that the eyelids are made to have a gap from the bonnet, so that the line flows from the top of the bonnet all the way to the grill.

Let me know if you need more help.

thanks e-gene! =)

yeah i just tried it just then, there is only one way to sit it on, and its quite hard to get it wrong because there is like a groove that aligns it, so it sits exactly where it is supposed to go. ill have a go on the weekend, thanks for all the help =D

hi guys. How much did you guys pay to get the eyelids painted? i've been trying to get a quote over the phone from several places but they all want me to go there and show them the eyelids first. :(

i got mine painted for $30, and the stivo grill for $50 color matched, they look great.

i think places want to look at them, to see if they require a primer coat, i think for mine they just gave it a light sand, and sprayed it. normally aftermarket parts are quite rough, where as genuine u just gotta sand it, no primer.

i was very happy with the result, spot on paint job. they are quick too, i put in my parts friday arvo, and got it saturday morning, and they did the fitting too, no charge B)

i got it done at JR, they do alot of body kits, repairs, all sorts of stuff essential to the boy racer. the good thing about them is they've done quite a few rollaz, so they would know wot your on about.

JR Autoconcept:

720 Station St, Boxhill, Vic 3128

Tel: 98908804 / 98974088

** edit **

yep e-gene, exclusive use them, it was an exclusive member who recommended me to them

My best tip is take them to the smashg repairs place they will install them with a product called sykaflex, which i have a whool etube of but was too scared to use. don't muck around with amature jobs just get it done properly for best results. unless of cause you work at a mod shop/smash repairers by trade. With sykaflex it is imposibble to get them off without snapping them thus no theft.

even with the genuine eyelids..there was double sided tape all the way around.

i went out and bought a big roll of extra strong double sided and covered the WHOLE underside with double sided tape.

if someones does want to take them, they'll have to take it in bits....coz í'm pretty sure they ain't coming off :lol:

Chris

For those who got their eyelids from me, the double-sided tape that came with it is extremely strong. You can't peel them off at all, it's totally secure. I reckon that mods like this can be done yourself. What's the fun of having a car if you can do some DIY yourself.

I reckon that if I were to have brought it to a smash repairer to install them, they'll have a good laugh at my expense.