Fuel Range Accurancy

MWS

Have just come back from Bathurst for the 1000 and gave the Aurion (2015 ATX) a good stretch, am a little disappointed in the fuel range calculator in the MID though.

Having left Bathurst with a full tank we rolled into Glen Innes - 606km later with the range showing 66 kays remaining so time for a re-fill. Bowser cut out and alI could cram in was 48.56 litres so there would presumably still have been 22 litres in the tank! Now I would expect engineers would errr on the side of conservatism with this stuff to avoid fuel pumps burning out etc.... but almost 30% buffer seems crazy!

On the next stint Glenn Innes to Brisbane I averaged 7.1L/100kms so should be on track to almost crack 1000kays out of a 70L tank.....yet the range indicator showed just over 600kays.

I am tempted next trip to take a jerry can and run it dry!....... Is the sensor set too high in the tank or Is there any tricks / fixes to getting the reading somewhere close to actual?

Cheers

I find in my 2013 AT-X, as soon as the needle goes to around the 1/4 mark, it takes around 40-43L to fill back up to full. 

(Edit : Just re-read your post and you have the 2015 AT-X - presumably with the updated instrument cluster - I have the 50-series MkI AT-X)

I did a long-ish trip, around 550kms and the needle, was at 1/4, I filled up 40L which is pretty good economy. 

I used to run my old 1994 Honda Accord to dry every tank, and the fuel pump eventually gave in. Since then, I've owned a 2003 Holden Commodore and 2008 Ford Falcon both on LPG/Dual and never have let the tank go below 1/4 - I'm sticking with that.

Edited by MP1988

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:57 AM, MWS said:

Have just come back from Bathurst for the 1000 and gave the Aurion (2015 ATX) a good stretch, am a little disappointed in the fuel range calculator in the MID though.

Having left Bathurst with a full tank we rolled into Glen Innes - 606km later with the range showing 66 kays remaining so time for a re-fill. Bowser cut out and alI could cram in was 48.56 litres so there would presumably still have been 22 litres in the tank! Now I would expect engineers would errr on the side of conservatism with this stuff to avoid fuel pumps burning out etc.... but almost 30% buffer seems crazy!

On the next stint Glenn Innes to Brisbane I averaged 7.1L/100kms so should be on track to almost crack 1000kays out of a 70L tank.....yet the range indicator showed just over 600kays.

I am tempted next trip to take a jerry can and run it dry!....... Is the sensor set too high in the tank or Is there any tricks / fixes to getting the reading somewhere close to actual?

Cheers

Arghh mine is the same the fuel gauge reads low which gives you a pessimistic range (DTE)  but the L per 100kms is pretty accurate having previously checked with litres used against Kms travelled over a few tanks.

Couldn't imagine there would be an easy fix for this one.

I treat the fuel display and the estimated range with some caution. In my opinion they are very conservative, and even when everything first reads ‘empty’ there is still around 10 litres left in the tank. I regard these readings as a ‘guesstimate’ only and do not try to push my luck by travelling too far with everything reading ‘empty’

Did the driving style or terrain change suddenly ? The trip computer is constantly estimating range but as said previously I would take the info as a rough estimate. I drove a 1st gen Aurion Sportivo for 3 days once & one of the many great impressions I got was the economy as I easily got into the 9's/100kms for an average - pretty good considering size/weight & good use of all that power/revs at times ;)

Have a read of the posts in the following URL

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2203831

As per the owner's handbook, the Aurion has a 70 litre tank and the fuel warning light displays when there is 15 litres remaining. 

Looks like the range calculator was forecasting 66km on 6.44 litres which is excluding the 15 litre "reserve" [ (70 - 48.56 = 21.44) - 15 = 6.44]. 

Presumably this forecast was based upon the most recent fuel economy sample rather than an overall average of distance travelled and fuel used.

Please note the fuel pump is "cooled" by the fuel so best to refuel before "Empty".

• Like 1

Thanks for your considered response Ashley very enlightening!

Will take the DTE calculation with a grain of salt on longer runs now and calculate off the much more accurate THIS TRIP L/100km reading.

Cheers