CAI which one? how to?

mopiko

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey silva do you have pics of the CES intake?, was going to get Injen ($325), so is the CES worth the extra 120?

For those of you going with Injen and Aem for your Sportivo your not getting the gains of TRD for a start. CES makes about 4kw more than TRD. Injen and Aem are 2.5 " if I'm correct and while CES were doing some testing they made a 2.5" CAI and did back to back runs on my car.It was the same up until about 5200rpm when the power droped off by some 5 odd kw then lift kicks in and they match the same power roughly but by the time you get to 7000rpm the power begins to drop off right up until redline when it drops by nearly 10kw.

Hence 2.5" is too small for the Stivo. Sure you will make gains over the stock airbox but not as much as you will with the larger diameter pipe. My car gained about 5 odd kw with TRD CAI and ITG filter. With CES intake(using the same filter) I picked up an additional 4 odd kw. Bottom end is pretty much the same but from about 4000rpm onwards the car feels stronger and by the time you hit lift it really screams to the point of making 4kw more peak power.(2.5" CAI was tested with the same ITG filter)

CES have put a bit more of a kick on the end of the CAI to give more clearance for the foggy and with the K&N filter that's an option it clears the foggy on a prefacelift by a good 1-2" from memory. Northy has the first one on his car ATM and is happy with the result. Looks the goods and sounds great too.

As soon as Northy has piccies I'll get him to post them up for all to see.

FFS Brendon the AEM is the SAME diameter as the TRD one!!!!

And also... have you got Dynos to PROVE these statements... as you ran on a Dyno with all this research I'm sure you have some info available to show us.

Hi Guys, I am thinking to get CAI for my 05 sportivo. Do you guys know where can i get 1 and installed in Canberra region? Thanks :huh:

if you were looking for an AEM or INJEN CAI, go straight to ebay, around $350 delivered to your door, usually doesnt take too long.

TRD one, should be able to source one through canberra toyota, give them a ring an ask

or for the CES CAI, send Northy or Silvabullit a PM and they should be able to help u out with all the details, when it becomes available to the public (is it yet, or still testing guys?)

on a different topic though, make sure u check out the Canberra Meet section and make sure u meet up with us when we organise something!

i'm also wondering, have they tested a CES CAI with a stock sportivo exhaust? cos i guess they used your cars as test cars, and i know u guys all have the CES exhaust, and i understand that the CES CAI would probably work best with the CES exhaust. however, i have no intention of buying a CES exhaust, but i am still interested in the CAI. similar gain? would love to see some pics/dyno figures

cheers guys :D

i'm also wondering, have they tested a CES CAI with a stock sportivo exhaust? cos i guess they used your cars as test cars, and i know u guys all have the CES exhaust, and i understand that the CES CAI would probably work best with the CES exhaust. however, i have no intention of buying a CES exhaust, but i am still interested in the CAI. similar gain? would love to see some pics/dyno figures

cheers guys :D

good question.

the gains speak for themselves on the track.

My car from just CES exhaust and AEM CAI (that is ~$1300 worth as a combination) has gone from a 15.5 car to a 14.8 car down the 1/4 mile, and you ask if it's worth it? I would also estimate ~8-10 kw gain with this combination (regardless of the choice of CAI, being TRD, AEM or Injen).

Around Wakefield Park there is also a noticale difference in the drive I get out of the corners.

Hi Guys, I am thinking to get CAI for my 05 sportivo. Do you guys know where can i get 1 and installed in Canberra region? Thanks :huh:

if you were looking for an AEM or INJEN CAI, go straight to ebay, around $350 delivered to your door, usually doesnt take too long.

TRD one, should be able to source one through canberra toyota, give them a ring an ask

or for the CES CAI, send Northy or Silvabullit a PM and they should be able to help u out with all the details, when it becomes available to the public (is it yet, or still testing guys?)

on a different topic though, make sure u check out the Canberra Meet section and make sure u meet up with us when we organise something!

So much info. Thanks mate, Definitly I will if there is any meet section in Canberra. :)

bump.............

good comment on the stock exuast with the CES CAI. So silva would you get the same gains with CES CAI and stock exuast? Last dyno at melb had the most gains out of stock exuast and Injen CAI (excluding bills stock beast :P ) . So if Injen, AEM, and TRD have the same diameter the difference must be geometry (bends) and filter thats my understanding.

My car from just CES exhaust and AEM CAI (that is ~$1300 worth as a combination) has gone from a 15.5 car to a 14.8 car down the 1/4 mile, and you ask if it's worth it? I would also estimate ~8-10 kw gain with this combination (regardless of the choice of CAI, being TRD, AEM or Injen).

Around Wakefield Park there is also a noticale difference in the drive I get out of the corners.

Perhaps your 0.7 second improvement in time came about as a result of your improvement as a driver - not to mention external factors eg. temperature.

Anyone have any hard evidence rather than estimates?

Perhaps your 0.7 second improvement in time came about as a result of your improvement as a driver - not to mention external factors eg. temperature.

last time I went it was 16 degrees, this time it was 22 degrees so it wasn't temperature. The best time I made last time was 15.21 and that was with CAI alone that many people strougle to match with just that... so I don't think it's improvement as a driver either... I've been driving 11 years mate and had 3 years to learn the Stivo top to tail... it's not that!!! :rolleyes:

plus here's a sportivo example of what the AEM CAI does... before 115.0 after 119.8

gallery_279_18_1126836629.jpg

last time I went it was 16 degrees, this time it was 22 degrees so it wasn't temperature. The best time I made last time was 15.21 and that was with CAI alone that many people strougle to match with just that... so I don't think it's improvement as a driver either... I've been driving 11 years mate and had 3 years to learn the Stivo top to tail... it's not that!!! :rolleyes:

I agree with Blue_Stivo

119.8 kw! how!!!! theres got to be more than CAI to get that kind of figure id be more than happy to hit that kind of figure.

sorry to disappoint you but that WAS just with CAI... running on Caltex Vortex 98

we have been also considering a few cars travelling to the various state Dyno days to calibrate the various results to some extent, don't look at the results from one Dyno to another as any sort of indication of anything...