CAI which one? how to?

mopiko

i'm also wondering, have they tested a CES CAI with a stock sportivo exhaust? cos i guess they used your cars as test cars, and i know u guys all have the CES exhaust, and i understand that the CES CAI would probably work best with the CES exhaust. however, i have no intention of buying a CES exhaust, but i am still interested in the CAI. similar gain? would love to see some pics/dyno figures

cheers guys :D

bump :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm also wondering, have they tested a CES CAI with a stock sportivo exhaust? cos i guess they used your cars as test cars, and i know u guys all have the CES exhaust, and i understand that the CES CAI would probably work best with the CES exhaust. however, i have no intention of buying a CES exhaust, but i am still interested in the CAI. similar gain? would love to see some pics/dyno figures

cheers guys :D

bump :)

sorry mate, its hard to find a sportivo here in QLD without a CES exhaust that had the time to go the testing....

Ill test the 1ZZ one!! but im thinking TRD AEM and Injen must have spent $$$ and heaps of dyno time making their CAI's

Is it really goign to be worth it for the 1ZZ??

BTW once everyone in QLD gets their "CES" cai's im up for whoever wants to sell their old AEM or TRD one :P

• 8 months later...

hey man i am relatively new to these forums i just wanted to know how much u would charge to put in an injen cai for my 04 preface lift corolla or recommend me to anyone who would. i have no idea what i am goign to do when it comes in a week and a bit time?

cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

just out of interest...

some of you guys have mentioned the CAI pipe diameters here, specifically the AEM ones being the 2.5" piping...

And have said that the bigger CES piping 'can' 'possibly' "tip toes" make more power...

How much bigger we talking in diameter? ...what diameter is the CES CAI in comparison, is it a 3inch or something..?

wheres these pics that everyones been mentioning... :clap:

I thought The TRD, AEM injen ones were around 2.75-2.8inches. I think the CES is 3inch but reduced to 2.8inches around the MAF sensor.

TRD is measured in the metric scale. 66mm to be exact. AEM is slightly smaller/larger using imperial measurements and am not 100% sure what the exact measurement is(someone with one care to measure??) CES for the 2ZZ is 3" with a reducer at the MAF down to 2.75" from memory but it's been a while since I actually had a look at one. LOL

hmmm. Interesting how they reduce it... because that would then compress and speed up the air while it passes the MAFS... and being a 3in the CES has a considerable 30% increase in cross sectional intake area.. compared to the 66mm TRD..

Someone mentioned that there are some major differences of where the pod actually sits behind the front bar also..? restrictions etc.. from the VERY close under car photos i've been able to find they look to sit just clear of the hole they poke through...

Has anyone got a pic of the CES intake with their front bumper off ??

L.

Edited by Lucky_Luke

the MAF sensor is calibrated to a certain pipe diameter. If you go too big the MAF readings fed to the ECU wont be correct and will cause issues. If you use a 3" section at the MAF it's a good idea to weld in some airflow straighteners to ensure the correct flow of air through the MAF element. Tons of info on this on the newcelica forums.

2.75 seems to work very well and doesn't require an airflow straightener.

hmmm. Interesting how they reduce it... because that would then compress and speed up the air while it passes the MAFS... and being a 3in the CES has a considerable 30% increase in cross sectional intake area.. compared to the 66mm TRD..

Someone mentioned that there are some major differences of where the pod actually sits behind the front bar also..? restrictions etc.. from the VERY close under car photos i've been able to find they look to sit just clear of the hole they poke through...

Has anyone got a pic of the CES intake with their front bumper off ??

L.

Are you talking about the CES intake?? It basically sits in the same place as every other intake except CES have put a bend on the end of the pipe to push the pod away from being jammed hard into the back of the fog light.

So is it the fact that its a CAI so that it produces more power on the dyno then a SRI, both with the bonnet open.....

OR

The inlet tract length

The way that I think is if your bonnet is open then underhood temps shouldn't really affect the SRI, but we consistently see that the CAI will produce more power. I'm thinking that the length of the inlet tract is the reason the power is being made.

Cheers

• 1 month later...
does anybody know whether or not the CES will actually have problems with the MAF sensor due to its larger pipe diameter?

there was one or 2 cars very early on that had some issues, the guys who had them tossers towards CES, since this CES has now put a slight "crimp" in the pipe around the maf to bring it just below the 3" mark. My car has the original test pipe that was made and later put into production and its the full 3" I havn't had any probs with mine on the stock ECU or the Power FC.

Corey

hey northy mate yu have the apexi power fc ??? theres 1 on ebay at the momment for 2zzge but apperently there will hav to be slight modification to the wiring harneess so that the guages and air con work properly.... when yu installed yur 1 how much was it completely installed and tuned.. including the computer etc and also wat modification wil need to be made... im askin as yu seem to hav gone down that path..

hey northy.. since you already have the ces cai you reckon it beats the trd any day?

YEP :P its got bit more top end and thats what i like....

jf187 - mine was $2500 including the tune, this was some time ago, as for the wiring changes i cant remember what we did as it was so long ago.