Legal Tyre Size

JUL13

Hi All,

Have completed a search and couldn't find anything on this, so hopefully am I am not asking a query that has already been posted. I recently took my Sportivo in to Beaurepaires for 4 x new tyres on a Friday and noticed over the weekend after that the wheels were hitting the inside hubs a hell of a lot. Called them back on the Monday to find that they had replaced my 40's with 45's without even telling me about the fact...apparently to make it legal (currently on a Novated Lease). Is this correct, what's the limit of sizes that you can do down from stock before becoming illegal??

Thanks,

JUL13

This topic has been covered extensivley but I will attempt to answer your questions anyway.

Need to clarify some things first.

Is it your wheel or tyre that is hitting your "inside hub"?

Do you mean your strut of the inside of your wheel arch?

How low is your car?

What is the offset of your wheels?

I assume you are now running 215/17/45 where before you were running 215/40/17. A 45 series tyre usually has a higer load rating than a 40 series. To keep your car legal you need to have a load rating of at least 87. It can be dificult to find a 40 series tyre that meets this load rating were as most 45 series tyres do. Also 40 sereis tyres that do meet this load rating are usually very expensive. You can find a list of brands in a sticky at the top of the Wheel & Tyre section of this forum.

Hi All,

Have completed a search and couldn't find anything on this, so hopefully am I am not asking a query that has already been posted. I recently took my Sportivo in to Beaurepaires for 4 x new tyres on a Friday and noticed over the weekend after that the wheels were hitting the inside hubs a hell of a lot. Called them back on the Monday to find that they had replaced my 40's with 45's without even telling me about the fact...apparently to make it legal (currently on a Novated Lease). Is this correct, what's the limit of sizes that you can do down from stock before becoming illegal??

Thanks,

JUL13

Since replacement, does'nt it make it unsafe if they serverly rub on in the wheel arches, and reducing the life of the tyres.

Also Beaurepaires must justifify on what they mean by "illegal"..... I would be seeking written proof dude.

My car was on a novated lease, which technically makes it your car, the leasing company probably instruted them to fit cheaper tyres dude.

Check under the "wheels section", plenty of information on this topic...... ah yes they are sticky's!

If its hitting the inside of the "hub" then it actually sounds as though you have no wheel spacers but if you say that you only have say the stock Stivo wheels then it is unessesary you only need spacers if you have bigger off-set......... :blink:

If its hitting the inside of the "hub" then it actually sounds as though you have no wheel spacers but if you say that you only have say the stock Stivo wheels then it is unessesary you only need spacers if you have bigger off-set......... :blink:

arent spacers illegal? :huh:

:D

arent spacers illegal? :huh:

As far as i know they arnt illegal!? But who knows now-a-days one day you can do something another day u cant!!! <_< I think that its about time that the RTA, POLICE and the GOVERNMANT sit down and finally right a legislation on what can and cant be done to a street driven car and also include what can be done as long as it has been "ENGINEERED" by a suitable mechanic/technician/engineer. So many times we have all heard stories of people being "defected" for certain modifications where they have had engineering certificates to validate such changes to their cars and been told by the fine issuing officer that "Dont show me that! Having that piece of paper does not make it legal or road worthy"....

So why dont they finally make up a set list of rules outlinning what can and cant be done!!! I think that since cars in Australia have been modified or "DONE-UP" from the early 1960's or even earlier like on the old V8 HotRods, the powers that be should make up their minds on what is legal!!!! Look at how many enthusiasts are modifiying their cars these days.........GET WITH THE TIMES AND MAKE UP SOME LAWS IF YOU WANT TO FINE US!!!!! :D

dunno about the other states but in QLD, if you change your tyre/rims; The overall diametre of the new rims+tyre can only be +/- 1inch compared to the stock rims+tyre. The width is the same, +/- 1 inch.