panel filter

hi all, looking at getting a panel filter for the sportivo.... was going to buy one from here but aus post misplaced it and the seller may be getting it back.

Would love to buy his toms replacement filter but may not be able to unless it comes.

so what other ones can i get,

I know k&n but dont like the thought of an overoiled filter blocking my air flow sensor,

trd looks good but not sure if reusealbe

and would love the toms one due to its foam filter design.

if peole have part numbers or alternatives it would be appreciated. This is only for panel filters, dont want cai as i only want replacement rueseable panel filter so i dont have to pay TOYOTA $28 per filter...

I hope the toms one comes...

(ps have alreeady talked to ignotion x)

if peole have part numbers or alternatives it would be appreciated. This is only for panel filters, dont want cai as i only want replacement rueseable panel filter so i dont have to pay TOYOTA $28 per filter...

Seeing as toyota only replace it every 40,000Ks.. and an aftermarket replacement is $140+....

you'd have to do over 200,000ks before youd start seeing any savings by going the aftermarket ;)

Many other user have almost no peformance increases, only when rev harder, feel more noise. Some people even mention K&N will need to change engine oil more offen, as they coudn't fill dust well. Maybe stock is best & cheapest.

What about the performance increase - That in itself is worth something

Performance difference is negligiable, probably 1kw difference at most as shown at recent Melbourne dyno day.

The difference is in throttle response. The engine will rev quicker/easier.

I think the performance gains are small not because of the panel filter but because the intake pipe on the stock setup goes to about roughly 40mm diameter in one section. I'm pretty sure there are more gains to be had if you replace the stock intake pipe with a 3 inch flexi pipe and get a 3" to 2.5" reducer to the standard air box.

It doesn't yield huge gains in power but does make a difference to throttle response and the engine is a little more willing to rev. Obviously due to there being less restriction.

just a reminder that this isnt for performance gains, just because i hate paying toyota any money for these things.

Any improved throtle response is a bonus.

does anyone know where to order the trd parts... want there a guy in new zealand or a toca club memeber.

Nope

$135

Got this quote from jsloane@chtoyota.com.au via an email i sent last week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your enquiry

The TRD cold air intakes cost $495.00 inc GST

These are only sold as kits, only the air filter is serviced

The kit is complete with POD filter. I can not offer any discount from the TRD Cold air intake, others dealers are sell them for $550.00.!!!

The panel air filter costs $135.00 with a discount. You can only fit one or the other to the car.

Regards

James

Nope

$135

Got this quote from jsloane@chtoyota.com.au via an email i sent last week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your enquiry

The TRD cold air intakes cost $495.00 inc GST

These are only sold as kits, only the air filter is serviced

The kit is complete with POD filter. I can not offer any discount from the TRD Cold air intake, others dealers are sell them for $550.00.!!!

The panel air filter costs $135.00 with a discount. You can only fit one or the other to the car.

Regards

James

MMM interseting as i spoke to him yesterday, said they only had 1 left, it would be $143 plus postage. No oiling kits in at present, will be coming with more filters in the next 2 months...

Does anyone have the part numbers for the trd foam one... thats the one i really waould like... or similar

Edited by unfamilia

Seeing as toyota only replace it every 40,000Ks.. and an aftermarket replacement is $140+....

you'd have to do over 200,000ks before youd start seeing any savings by going the aftermarket ;)

True, but you need to factor in the benefits of better breathing and filtration, especially so in my case as we intend keeping our car long term (10 years +) ... besides, I think here in Qld the price for a standard filter is closer to $40 each, where the K&N cost me $116 and Autobarn have the recharge kit for under $30.

Not that it really matters anymore ... now that CES have developed their new CAI, I might be looking in a different direction soon B)