To Stivo or not to Stivo

Hi All,

Being a current Commondore owner and sick of it, I'm wanting something small, nifty, still roomy, quick and fun. Not asking for much really?

Last night I checked out a Renault Clio (phase 2 sport), then went to a toyo dealer and had a look at the Rolla. I much prefer the look and room of the Rolla. these are the only two models I could find that I liked the look of that had an incling of performance (4 wheel disc brakes).

I tried doing as much research as possible on the net but thought I'd try and get some of your expert opinions here.

To my question: what are the pros and cons of a 04-05 stivo vs an 06 Levin or spec'd up Acsent.

Does any know of or has down extensive mods on the VVT-I alone? would it be possible to squeez as much grunt out of that as the VVTL-I.

I'm looking to spend (initially) around $25g. So is this a no brianer? Deff go the Stivo because it has alot of good stuff on it already or could it be possible to get a Levin OR ascent kitted up and spend some dosh on mods?

I can only assume that by the time I spend cash on the current 06's I'd prob part with more cash in the long run? WHICH leads me back to, is the stivo all it cracks up to be????

Any or all comments would be vastly appreciated!!!!

Also forgot to mention, I used to be an R32 gst-t owner, so I'm no "virgin" to performace. What I dont want is another high maintenance, blood sucking, mony draining, money pit, turbo, problem infested vehicle.

Ahhhh, the skyline, I love to hate them. If I didn't own a house and still lived at home, I'd buy another one because their so like women (no offence) a pain to look after and modify but the pinicle of pleasure.

So anyways, I figure the rolla would put me back in the "sport'ish" seat.

Cheers Again

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Levin only puts out 100 odd kw, its just a body kit sort of like the 70 kw lancers with the body kits on them ... :huh: the tivo puts out 140+

I just have a ascent sedan and it seems to be fairly difficult to find mods for the 'sedan' and the 'ascent' parts of the vehicle.

Edited by Smurph

G'day Waycool, Welcome to the forum!!

Good choice to move away from the commie and into something smaller.

The diff's between the Stivo compared to the Levin's and accents is pretty large IMO. Stivo has Leather, Six Speed, and the 2ZZ. Its a kick ar#e motor, same used in the Lotus 111R/Celica. It will drag of a 6cyl commie no worries (stock), and wind out to over 220kmh. and the thing sounds like an animal.

You could mod a 1ZZ to perform as well as the stivo, but then mod the 2ZZ and see what happens.

For 25K you will getinto a used Stivo pretty easily, and I think its excellent value for money.

I used to drive falcons and thought they were tuff as, till i got my Stivo. Now I wouldnt buy one unless it was an F6.

Basically, yeah the stivo is what its cracked up to be and more :D

Do it!

I think it depends on what you want in the logn run

Sportivo = built in south africa ( poor build quality) Listed problems

read this - Sportivo Issues

Levin = built in Japan (better build quality) Easy parts. Lots of 1ZZ engines in wreckers. Strong reliable engine.

yes you can find mods to get the levin it up to the stivos perforamce but if you "just" after performace then the stivo is what you want. with a few bolt ons they will be hard for a 1zz to ever catch.

I had this same decision to make in 03 when the stivo came out. Now i admitt sometimes i wish i got the stivo over my levin, ( when Xoom takes me for a drive) :P but in the long run the levin is going to be cheaper to run and maintain and thats what i was lookign for in a car.

Welcome buddy...

I myself drive a Levin, an 04 facelift model. If you're after something fun and quick, I can't really suggest the Levin as its the heaviest in the 1ZZ-FE models. I would however suggest the sportivo and you'll see why after you test drive one :D Good luck with your choice!

I bought my conquest auto for $24700 driveaway.... after reading up on rollas on this forum, i wish i paid an extra $3000 for the Sportivo (driveaway price too). :(

Mums fault for making me buy auto so she could drive it too.... I want the climate control and the LIFT!

i hate you all you sportivo drivers! :P

I bought my conquest auto for $24700 driveaway.... after reading up on rollas on this forum, i wish i paid an extra $3000 for the Sportivo (driveaway price too). :(

Mums fault for making me buy auto so she could drive it too.... I want the climate control and the LIFT!

i hate you all you sportivo drivers! :P

3 grand more woulda got u lift, climate control, FULL leather interior, rear spoiler, and a body kit (excluding rear bar)

fairdinkum mate :D

I have an 05 stivo and its PERFECT - no issues, well built, no rattles, perfect paint. VERY well built car.

I have dragged clio sports and just won, old 911's and just lost :P and suprised many slow cars like SP23's, Lexus, BMW 320's etc. Its a bit of a sleeper with the standard wheels and is so much fun to beat or come close to supposedley much quicker cars that our 16.2 quarter mile (yeah right!) stivos:)

I love mine and would highly recommend an 05 model if you can find one!

being one of the few forum members to have owned modified stock and sportivo corollas, there is nothing like VVTL-im the shifting issues are nothing really to be too worried about, new clutch/flywheel and you are all set, they also respond to mods very well, CAI, extractors and exhaust will see you pushing over 120kw atw. Also they come with alot of good things inside, leather, climate control etc so i think that the sportivo would be the better choice. :)

Levin = built in Japan (better build quality) Easy parts. Lots of 1ZZ engines in wreckers. Strong reliable engine.

I wouldnt exactly blame SA for the poor build quality :huh: ... its a badly designed box. As is evident from the problems the guys in Japan experience on the Lexus ... which has the same box. (from a BM video)

Same with the C-One RunX. B)

But overall its a good car, reliable, fast, and fun. :D

I'll go for the sportivo :)

Limited Edition, will hold price (i hope) ?

leather interior

bodykit

extra 40kw

only 1-2k diff to levin.

overall just has a sexc look once its lowered. B)

No offense to the other members :D

3 grand more woulda got u lift, climate control, FULL leather interior, rear spoiler, and a body kit (excluding rear bar)

fairdinkum mate :D

Lend us your sportivo bro? I swear ill bring it back :P

The version 1 Clio Sport weren't that great on the straights, the Sportivo will eat them alive but the Clio Sport Cup is something to be reckoned with, with 131kw power, its power to weight ratio is in DC2 TypeR category. Oh and it has a 2000cc motor with 200nm of torque so it will punch out of corners so much quicker than a Sportivo or TypeR unless they were in the 6000+rpm zone. But then aain the Clio has a 5speed box, the Sportivo has 6 speed so take gear ratios into consideration. Btw for 25g u can also find yourself a used DC2 TypeR with around 50,000-80,000kms though, and that's also if u can sacrifice the comfort for performance.

Any of the above mentioned cars will have better reliabilty than your turbo'ed Skyline. The Sportivo really is a surprise package, it will keep up or overtake most automatic V8s around at the moment (MK2 XR8, VZ SS etc.) and it uses about 8litre/100km of fuel for that sort of performance so you go figure. :)

I wouldnt exactly blame SA for the poor build quality :huh: ... its a badly designed box. As is evident from the problems the guys in Japan experience on the Lexus ... which has the same box. (from a BM video)

Same with the C-One RunX. B)

But overall its a good car, reliable, fast, and fun. :D

yeah bill! dont blame SA!

put it this way, levin in my opinion is a passenger car, and sportivo is a sports car, as u know passenger cars will usually easier to maintain, cheaper to run and etc, but i think the sportivo is a better choice, so many extras, and its the top of the line of rolla(in aus at least) so u wont regret later on, 25 grand u can get your self an 05 sportivo and 05 onward sportivo is hot hot! oh and also, they dont make sportivos anymore

Edited by sportiyo

I'd forget about the stivo and gun for a polo GTI. its a smaller car but the power is great and the build quality makes the stivo with all its issues look like a bucket of bolts. If you can hold out to see if something built out of japan comes to replace it then perhaps...

Welcome! And go the Stivo mate. Were only just finding out what the 2ZZ engine is capable of. Someone on the www.newcelica.org forum got dynoed at just under 150kw atw N/A with Ragnorak Racing Cams

Eibach Valve Springs

Injen CAI

Ragnorak Racing Throttle Body

DC Sports Header

TPR Exhaust

Apex-i PFC

Have you driven a Stivo yet and experienced the lift? I think from memory it starts at around 6200rpm through to 8000rpm cut off point. Well the celica owner with the 2ZZ started lift around 5800rpm throught to 8400rpm. He reported that his headers and exhaust were crap and once he swaped for better gear he was going for a 8600rpm peak! And that's without doing anything to the bottom end. As you mentioned your no stranger to the performance mod money pit so I say go for it!

Welcome! And go the Stivo mate. Were only just finding out what the 2ZZ engine is capable of. Someone on the www.newcelica.org forum got dynoed at just under 150kw atw N/A with Ragnorak Racing Cams

Eibach Valve Springs

Injen CAI

DC Sports Header

TPR Exhaust

Apex-i PFC

Have you driven a Stivo yet and experienced the lift? I think from memory it starts at around 6200rpm through to 8000rpm cut off point. Well the celica owner with the 2ZZ started lift around 5800rpm throught to 8400rpm. He reported that his headers and exhaust were crap and once he swaped for better gear he was going for a 8600rpm peak! And that's without doing anything to the bottom end. As you mentioned your no stranger to the performance mod money pit so I say go for it!

i think the cut out point is higher than 8000rpm in stock form, its starts redline at 8100rpm

Eibach Valve Springs

Injen CAI

DC Sports Header

TPR Exhaust

Apex-i PFC

i think the cut out point is higher than 8000rpm in stock form, its starts redline at 8100rpm

lift is from 6000-8200rpm on stock sportivo corollas and AU celicas

I say go the stivo.

Also,

I'm pretty sure the new levins are only 93kw now

I'm pretty sure the VW are made in south africa too as well as ford focus, maybe BMW too.

Build quality tends to be an issue with all cars, sometimes people are unlucky

If you want a brand new stivo I think you better be quick cuz i dont think there arent many around

The clio is a good package, but it in the compact car category (barina. yaris etc) while the corolla is a small car. So your paying similar money for a very small car.

No probs in the clutches for the facelift, but if you do toyota can make it better with a clutch adjustment.

I just lowered mine and have 18's on it, and it looks like a different car.

Edited by ZAV