Cleaning Water spots off windscreen

KAA

Ok so I am sure many will have their own opinion and that is what this forum is about..sharing experience or thoughts, anyway there is nothing that annoys me more than having totally washed the car got the paint brilliant and then next day seeing dull water spots on the windscreen or rear window, I have tried several expensive glass cleaners I have tried clay bars..I have tried glass polish and still you get that dull water ring look on the windscreen or rear window..so today after a very long search I stumbled upon using "Bar Keepers Friend" bought from Bunnings today.

I added about a teaspoon of the powder to a small amount of water in a bottle gave it a damn good shake, cleaned the glass with glass cleaner so it was clean of any dirt..put some of my magic mix on a microfibre cloth and began cleaning..and holy cow..crystal clean..so a tip I found that seems to work and hope some will give it a go if like me have a low threshold for a dirty windscreen

Keep Safe

KAA

• Like 2

Excellent tip mate. You're spot on using the BKF product Robert, as it is acidic in nature and exactly what you need to dissolve those nasty calcium and magnesium deposits. Unfortunately, glass cleaner, clay bar and polish won't cut it. You need something that can dissolve the minerals first. The aforementioned products only clean and remove air borne contamination, not water etching. 

Rain water isn't anywhere near as bad as tap water in terms of mineral content. Our tap water is quite hard and for this, if you ever rinse your car with the garden hose and are in a hurry and can't dry the entire vehicle, take the time to wipe the glass at the very least to avoid the hard water spotting otherwise etching will occur and then you'll need some BKF as you mention Robert and or Ceriglass with a Rayon pad if the etching has really dug in. Ceriglass will also remove the streaking caused by worn wiper blades.

I keep a hand squeegy ready whilst washing for moments like this. Sometimes the glass has a tendency to dry before you finish the wash so I either have to re wet the car over or squeegy the glass. Then in the final part I apply the Rain-X Glass cleaner / repellent. 

Edited by Tony Prodigy
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Tony, Yes I was amazed how fast it removed the spots and dull swirls from all my windows, i always kept my wiper blades clean and always have a new set in storage in case..but these dams dull spots had me beat..i also did the stainless steel exhaust tips with it and boom perfect..was very therapeutic as well taking my time and just watching them shine up like new..so "She Who Must Be Obeyed" went with her friend to Bunnings to get some plants and bought another can while there for the shower doors as you showed in the attached video..so I am sure that will keep her occupied this afternoon cleaning them.

Keep Well and Keep Safe

KAA

My personal tip is to use distilled water in the windscreen washer reservoir with no addatives, that'll eliminate any mineral deposits after giving the windscreen a quick clean.

I'm definitely going to have to try the BKF treatment to some of the spots on the windscreen though, never would've thought of it so thanks for sharing! 😄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LordBug said:

My personal tip is to use distilled water in the windscreen washer reservoir with no addatives, that'll eliminate any mineral deposits after giving the windscreen a quick clean.

That is a great tip actually. For those who regularly use their windscreen washer, I'd advocate this. 

My OCD has me cleaning the windscreen and blades before I set off so I don't have water spray everywhere and the potential for the wipers to smear the glass. I use the Rain-X glass cleaner/ sealer for this. This also helps prevent the build up of water spotting too. 

If you're like me, who doesn't have a carport (yet) and has to wash his car in the sun (morning sun actually) the potential for water spotting is great and so I have to try and continuously keep the car wet whilst going around it to keep the spots from forming. Sometimes it beats me and I get the dreaded water spotting but because it's only superficial, they are quickly removed with the glass treatment regime I do and the existing coating on the glass prevents the minerals from biting in.

Naked, untreated glass will give you harder time dealing with water spotting I have found.

• Like 1

Anyone tried the razor blade and lubrication such as soapy water across the glass? Seems to take a lot of gunk off, therefore allowing the wipers to wipe cleaner and not squeak. Light water spots will come off, but seasoned water spots may still be a pain to remove via this method. 

Never tried that actually, but it is one method used to decontamine the glass.

It's the first step in the pre prep to applying ceramic coating on glass.

I recently purchased a hand squeegy to squeegy the glass if I get stuck, say doing the wheels or undercarriage, so the glass doesn't spot rather than having to remember to keep wetting the car. I'll be putting up a carport soon, hopefully and won't have to worry so much about this anymore.

• Like 1

Bar Keepers Friend is available at Coles and Woolworths.

Got some today for $8 at my local Woolworths. Finally found it on a bottom shelf.  

Definitely looking at decontaminating the glass before applying a ceramic coating onto the windscreen. Most likely, I will do the rear windscreen first before tackling the front windscreen.

• Like 1

My lack of carport/garage or any enclosed space has had me defer the ceramic coating of my glass as it needs curing time and be shielded from airborne contamination whilst it cures.

This is why Ive continued with the Rain-X product as it's more forgiving. 

• Like 1

This thread has reminded me that I purchased a Ceriglass kit about 6-9 months ago mainly to remove some nasty water etching on the 11 year old shower screens I have @ home. Guess what - it didn't work. Might have to hit it a second time with more gusto, perhaps even crack out the RA polisher. Not sure that Metho will work but should give that a try also. Bugger 😕

8 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

This thread has reminded me that I purchased a Ceriglass kit about 6-9 months ago mainly to remove some nasty water etching on the 11 year old shower screens I have @ home. Guess what - it didn't work. Might have to hit it a second time with more gusto, perhaps even crack out the RA polisher. Not sure that Metho will work but should give that a try also. Bugger 😕

For ceriglass to work effectively, you'll need the rayon pad. If you have heavy ingrained etching, then it may not bring it back totally. Probably too far gone. It may need several passes in this case. I'll have to give mine a go and see too.

Metho won't dissolve minerals as it's more like an alcohol, a cleaner if anything.

• Like 1

Yeah the kit comes with an abrasive pad. I'll just try it a few more times, it's definitely improved/cleaner but etching still visible. Ceriglass looks like Jiff 😕

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, matt36415 said:

Vinegar!

Yes, vinegar will also work but will need several applications to dissolve those stubborn spots. Anything of an acidic nature will help break down the mineral deposits.

Prevention is always better though, but I know it's not always practical. To have raw, unprotected glass is asking for trouble which is why I always advocate for something or anything that you can put down on the glass to make it as hydrophobic as possible so the water doesn't have time to 'cling' and 'dwell' on the surface.

Foe best protection, I would always recommend a ceramic coating on your glass for the best protection. 

Wait until 303 Graphene spray coat hits our distributors. That product will be the game changer. Comes in a easy to use spray and can be used on virtually every part of your car, from paint, plastics, trim, wheels, and glass. I can't wait !