White Pearl Paint cracking & peeling on a Prado

19 minutes ago, JoGC said:

Hey Tony is there a specific year/s? I see a lot of 2006 commenting overseas and 2014 in Corollas and Prados.

I'm not sure to be honest. It's a bit of a mystery at the moment. The only ones who would really know would be Toyota an they wouldn't be forthcoming with any information that may incriminate them, so it's anyone's guess.

We can only follow up on what's been reported I think.

The difficult thing for Toyota is that issues like this don't manifest themselves in the short term and unwittingly, they just kept using the same type of epoxy for years and years until the early batch cars started reporting the failure and as time went on the later cars starting coming on up to what we have today. 

I think Toyota may have been in total denial from the early reports, blaming environmental and human intervention. But we all know now that wasn't the case..

Had a curve ball email from QCAT this morning. The respondent company has submitted an application for the case to be dismissed.

My response to the application for the dismissal to be rejected will be submitted tomorrow. 

Bumpy road ahead. I will update this forum of my adventures.

I am feeling good about my case and how it will help all of you people in the future who have been affect within an inferior product.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, CRH said:

Had a curve ball email from QCAT this morning. The respondent company has submitted an application for the case to be dismissed.

My response to the application for the dismissal to be rejected will be submitted tomorrow. 

Why am I not surprised.

That's normal, but QCAT should allow for the case to be heard because that's the whole point of their existence right ?

They can't just buckle and fold to a company just because they said right ?

13 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Why am I not surprised.

That's normal, but QCAT should allow for the case to be heard because that's the whole point of their existence right ?

They can't just buckle and fold to a company just because they said right ?

Response has been submitted.

Wait and see what the tribunal decides.

On 6/28/2022 at 5:32 PM, CRH said:

Good luck with it! And thank you so much for keeping us updated and providing all the information you have so far. It's really helpful.

Check out (ACA) a current affair Wed 12/07/22 , some of the Corolla's, Rav 4's and Prado's They done a story on them ( White and Pearl White, apparently the INCORRECT Primer was used, worth a watch 

Toyota peeling paint: Angry motorists call out major car manufacturer (nine.com.au)

• Like 1

The paint started peeling on my 2012 White Toyota Corolla 3 years after I purchased it new, I noticed a big bubble in the paint work after a service, Toyota actually accused me of having an accident and re-spraying the rear hatch door.

I did purchase a paint protection policy when I purchased the car from Sydney City Toyota, begrudgingly they repaired the paint work, but unfortunately it didn't stop there, it then went to the rear of the car around the hatch door frame, the left rear quarter panel, the roof and now the front right fender.

When I went back a year later they finally admitted there was a problem with the paint work on all white 2012 Corolla's after treating me a like a criminal a year earlier.

Toyota didn't want to know about it, they said its the dealers problem, the dealer offered to trade-in the car for $12,000 on a new car which at the time after 4 years was a good deal, then the next day when I went to finalise it they dropped it to $8000.

They refused to re-spray the whole car, they have up until now repaired each area that has peeled, except the front fender that after 10 years has just started pealing.

My neighbourhood is full of peeling white corolla's.

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, SB1967 said:

Toyota didn't want to know about it, they said its the dealers problem, the dealer offered to trade-in the car for $12,000 on a new car which at the time after 4 years was a good deal, then the next day when I went to finalise it they dropped it to $8000.

It's an appalling situation given it's not really the dealer's problem as they didn't manufacture the vehicles. It's ridiculous that Toyota Australia would say this. It makes them look weak and untrustworthy. Shameful stuff.

The second part of the statement would ring true of the dealer reneging on a deal. That's typical behaviour dealers would engage in so I'm not surprised.

I never buy from dealers as I don't trust them. I feel sorry for people who have no choice but to go to a dealer as they have no experience buying cars privately.

Avoid them like the plague.

For all of the people with vehicles purchased before 1 January 2011 here is some info about the Trade Practices Act and your consumer rights.  

Come 1 January 2011 the Australian Consumer Law (ACL) took affect. The Trade Practices Act and its contents carried over to the ACL.

Please find attached two files that will assist your claims showing your rights as a consumer in Australia.

0553FT_ACL-guides_Guarantees_web.pdf Warranties and refunds - a guide for consumers and business.pdf

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 5:32 PM, CRH said:

The dealer and their application for dismissal of my claim has been rejected by the tribunal.

I am now waiting for a mediation date at QCAT. If an agreement cannot be made at mediation, then my case will be heard by a magistrate.

When I have more info I will update this thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CRH said:

The dealer and their application for dismissal of my claim has been rejected by the tribunal.

I am now waiting for a mediation date at QCAT. If an agreement cannot be made at mediation, then my case will be heard by a magistrate.

So far, so good. I have a feeling it will go before the Magistrate because I doubt the dealer will come to an agreement prior to this. If they do, and it's 100% in your favour, then that would nothing short of a miracle, because it's in their interest to try and weasel out of any form of compensation. 

I guess they will have to be told  if you're mediation falls short.

This is going to be interesting.

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

So far, so good. I have a feeling it will go before the Magistrate because I doubt the dealer will come to an agreement prior to this. If they do, and it's 100% in your favour, then that would nothing short of a miracle, because it's in their interest to try and weasel out of any form of compensation. 

I guess they will have to be told  if you're mediation falls short.

This is going to be interesting.

Yes it will be interesting for everyone who has been affected with the paint peeling issue on their vehicles.

A reasonable person at mediation would not expect anything less than what is required to repair all metal panels of the vehicle. We all know what that involves.

The case being heard in front of a magistrate would allow the case to be publicly available to read. This could then assist everyone who is affected to also build a case towards getting their vehicle repaired.

• Like 1

Just saw this...

https://www.drive.com.au/news/toyota-owners-call-for-peeling-paint-fix/

What a bloody joke :jawdrop: I've got a white Camry...I wonder when the paint will start to peel off.   :scared:

Toyota has know about this for a long time...yet does nothing and it's not just white cars either...make you sick.  :angry:

5 hours ago, bob007 said:

Just saw this...

https://www.drive.com.au/news/toyota-owners-call-for-peeling-paint-fix/

What a bloody joke :jawdrop: I've got a white Camry...I wonder when the paint will start to peel off.   :scared:

Toyota has know about this for a long time...yet does nothing and it's not just white cars either...make you sick.  :angry:

If it was a fault of my own, I would own it. 

This peeling paint issue is a fault of theirs and they don't want to be responsible. Come on Toyota do the right thing. Why should your customers wear the cost of a defect? In what universe is this conscionable?

If they just did the right thing by their customers, they wouldn't have this negative press, they wouldn't have Facebook groups organising class actions, they wouldn't have the exposure of Channel 9's ACA and drive.com.au. Makes you wonder?

Honestly this is such poor form. Toyota has lost my respect. Oh what a feeling!

Edited by AnthonyH

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Here's John Cadogan's take on this abhorrent situation.

I saw this and was going to post it.  :smile:

My toyota dealer told me my car isn't affected...we'll see.  :unsure:

Although I agree with JC & the fact that paint shouldn't ever peel off if done properly, I've never seen it happen before, especially on a Toyota. My sis has a 2013 RAV4 Cruiser with white paint & the car still looks like new. An old family friend on ours gets a new Camry every 3 or so years & they're all boring white & none had paint issues.

Sounds like poor quality control from brand T's white paint primer supplier. I'm not sure how their factories are setup but suspect the same robots in that same production line spray the paint, whatever colour that may be so that should rule out the factory being the cause of end issue.

What's really baffling is that it's taken so long for them effectively realise all of this.

Regardless, Toyota needs to make good as I'm sure they will.

You'd have to trace it back to a specific production batch, paint batch, primer batch or which ever or all these.

Specific info is hard to find because it would need to have come from a Toyota insider and I doubt that one person would jeapordise his/her position as this would also implicate the company. It's a pretty big mess Toyota have found themselves in, but it looks like they are trying their level best to keep a lid on it.

I think a class action may be the go, but despite this, I'm sure the Lawyers will drag the case out as long as they can. Messy stuff for sure.

You would think they would want to resolve the issue fairly cleanly, and with the impression they put their customers first. Toyota is their brand and customers. If they treat their customers like they are ignorant fools, surely this will taint their reputation and leave a bitter taste in the mouths of their customers? People have long memories and negative press nowadays lasts forever.

16 hours ago, AnthonyH said:

You would think they would want to resolve the issue fairly cleanly, and with the impression they put their customers first. Toyota is their brand and customers. If they treat their customers like they are ignorant fools, surely this will taint their reputation and leave a bitter taste in the mouths of their customers? People have long memories and negative press nowadays lasts forever.

It's the evil that is corporate sculduggery. Corporations have no scruples when it comes to the crunch. Whenever large sums of money are concerned, the moral comapss goes out the window my friend. That's the corporate world we have come to know. Toyota and most other large corporations are not the same as we once knew them to be. In the modern era, greed and corruption reign supreme.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2022 at 6:58 PM, CRH said:

Mediation is on the 11th of August.

Mediation was carried out yesterday and the Australian Consumer has ended up with a positive result. 

My vehicle will now get repaired at no cost to myself.. 

• Like 1

Just now, CRH said:

Mediation was carried out yesterday and the Australian Consumer has ended up with a positive result. 

My vehicle will now get repaired at no cost to myself.. 

:clapping:And rightly so. Congratulations Craig. Your perseverance has paid off and this will no doubt pave the way for others to follow. 

Good thing with NCAT/QCAT etc, is that there is NO Appeal ! Decisions are final.

When will the work begin you think ?? Have you any particular shop in mind or will Toyota be handling the process ?

Toyota should've just done the honourable thing and fess up and own the issue from the start instead of having the affected people go through all the stress and energy to fight them on this.

You should post up some photos ( if you already haven't) of the current state of your vehicle and then a follow up set when it's all done. It would be nice to see the car in it's new skin.

Well done :thumbsup:

• Like 1