Oil Service. ODO @128897

G'day Ladies and Gents,

I've had the most ridiculously busy last few weeks and I knew I needed to get this done asap as the kays were creeping up to my scheduled oil change. I was aiming for an 8.5K oil interval this time and managed to get close despite the mayhem going on around me lol..

Had a small window of opportunity yesterday morning and got cracking. No rest for the wicked !

The last ODO reading was 120241 and the current reading as of yesterday morning was 128897. (8,756). Close enough.

Warmed up the engine and went to work. I normally jack up the front of the car, not only to be able to get to the sump bolt, but to be able to drain the sump a little better. This is the way I've always done it. As a test, after the bulk of the oil had drained to a drizzle, I lowered the car back down completely to simulate it being up on a levelled hoist and the oil stopped drizzling. Hmm, I thought for a moment. So having it raised up in the front enables most, if not all the old oil to drain out, and having it flat does leave at least 150ml or so still in there. Couple this with the fact the shop guys would never bother to remove this excess or clean the inside of the filter housing, that leaves one lousy oil service. 

So after raising it back up, the oil starting trickling out again for a good 5 minutes ! Next time I'll conduct a little experiment and catch this quantity of oil when raised up compared to when it's flat and see the actual amount the workshop would leave behind.

After, it had drained, did the usual OCD stuff like degrease the inside of the filter housing, rinsed and blown dry, insert fresh Genuine Toyota oil filter, replaced sump plug washer and O-rings on the housing and went back in. Torqued housing to 25nm (😜), tightened sump plug and filled it with new nectar. Nice !

Just looking at the old oil, it was still quite good with a slightly tarnished, golden appearance. Testament to regular oil changes using quality fully synthetic oil. The engine is really clean and runs so sweetly. Love how smooth it is for a V6. Magnific !

Cleaned up and handed the car back to wifey. Until next time.

Car is due for a full detail and this time I will be prepping it for a ceramic coating. I'll make a separate post for this later.

Thanks for reading guys.

Cheers :thumbsup:

20210328_080049.jpg

20210328_080532.jpg

20210328_081040.jpg

20210328_082417.jpg

20210328_081435.jpg

20210328_081108.jpg

20210328_075749.jpg

20210328_082426.jpg

I am aiming for a 6 month or 5K oil change interval depending upon how contaminated the oil starts to look on the dipstick and in the valve cover.

I normally put the front wheels up on ramps which is easier than using jacks and bit extra working room.

Better give lots of credit to the genuine oil filter cartridge for the oil to be looking so good after 8.7K.

Thin film of oil on the cartridge housing gives a good representation of the colour of the used oil. Good to have a comparison for my next oil change most likely due at 230K.

• Thanks 1

Awesome service report Ash, yes looks like all that effort and the continuous effort is giving you one sweet Aurion to enjoy. 

The oil on the housing still looks brand new, I will always stick to genuine filters, as they show their worth with excellent results.

Looking forward to the detail work report

Keep Well and Safe

KAA

This is Tony's service report.

I have been doing previous reports with an Oil Change Overkill thread. "Sludgy" is behaving herself so far after the last oil change. Definitely enjoying my Aurion. 

Trying hard to get somewhat similar results using Tony's Aurion as a benchmark. Love a challenge. I have been using both genuine and non-genuine filters. Tony is fairly consistent using Nulon 5W-30 whereas I use different brands of oil.

• Like 1

Yes Ash Tony is our MUSE for all things service and detail wise, wish he was closer too me as I would just give him the fob and say go at it. He even has the secret stash of Nulon so all would be good. LOL

KAA

3 hours ago, KAA said:

Yes Ash Tony is our MUSE for all things service and detail wise, wish he was closer too me as I would just give him the fob and say go at it. He even has the secret stash of Nulon so all would be good. LOL

KAA

Nothing secret about Tony's stash of Nulon. 😁 I have got plenty of fluids and filters on hand ready for any impromtu services. Still kicking myself for not having a water pump on hand for when it did make its replacement warning noises.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KAA said:

KAA

Would be cool if you guys were nearby and be able to help each other. I don't mind helping anyone who asks for help, especially like minded folk and the ones who deserve it.

Unfortunately, my secret stash is no more a secret lol. It is tucked away very well from prying eyes that's one thing I can vouch for 😜

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Would be cool if you guys were nearby and be able to help each other. I don't mind helping anyone who asks for help, especially like minded folk and the ones who deserve it.

Unfortunately, my secret stash is no more a secret lol. It is tucked away very well from prying eyes that's one thing I can vouch for 😜

If we were nearby, I would definitely want to come and have a look at all of your tools and gadgets. Knowing the background, I had a bit of a grin seeing the photo of the Omik removal tool.

Similar mindset and I prefer to help those that deserve it.

I remember your photos so I can guess where your stash is tucked away; in the best available storage conditions.

• Like 1

Good stuff Tony. But maaaan, how did you get that filter housing look so clean? That's crazy, I could drink from it! Hmm, having an unfiltered Cooper's ale from a 2GR-FE filter housing through a genuine Toyota filter, that got me thinking...

Which reminds me at my last oil change I forgot to pour some new oil in the housing before installing it *hand tight*. My wrist'o'meter displayed 22.8Nm, so I'm in the ballpark :P

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, AurionX2 said:

Good stuff Tony. But maaaan, how did you get that filter housing look so clean? That's crazy, I could drink from it! Hmm, having an unfiltered Cooper's ale from a 2GR-FE filter housing through a genuine Toyota filter, that got me thinking...

Which reminds me at my last oil change I forgot to pour some new oil in the housing before installing it *hand tight*. My wrist'o'meter displayed 22.8Nm, so I'm in the ballpark 😛

Spray the housing with degreaser then give it a good wipe with a rag.

Definitely remember to pour some new oil into the housing so the engine gets the oil just that little bit sooner. It is all these extra time-consuming details that add to the DIY benefits of a job well done. 

• Like 1

Thats a pretty solid looking housing removal tool... Need to get a new one after multilating the socket hole getting a stuck filter off the Rav

On 3/31/2021 at 1:24 PM, AurionX2 said:

Good stuff Tony. But maaaan, how did you get that filter housing look so clean? That's crazy, I could drink from it!

Thanks Adrian, I just spray/soak it in degreaser, woosh it around, then rinse with water and I blow it dry. 

19 hours ago, nzzr6 said:

Thats a pretty solid looking housing removal tool... Need to get a new one after multilating the socket hole getting a stuck filter off the Rav

Remember this thread ?

Here's the link for my tool if you're interested. You have to pay at least $50 for a decent one. The "SQ" denotes that it also has a provision for a 3/8" ratchet drive through the centre, if you don't have the 19 mm socket. Most would but this is the added redundancy, which I didn't mind paying extra for. The standard version of this is $35 with no 3/8" drive, only the 19mm Hex.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OMIK-Professional-Oil-Filter-Tool-for-Aurion-Rav4-Corolla-AUSTRALIAN-MADE/303231702791?hash=item469a049707:g:1wkAAOSwl5JcJHgj

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Remember this thread ?

Here's the link for my tool if you're interested. You have to pay at least $50 for a decent one. The "SQ" denotes that it also has a provision for a 3/8" ratchet drive through the centre, if you don't have the 19 mm socket. Most would but this is the added redundancy, which I didn't mind paying extra for. The standard version of this is $35 with no 3/8" drive, only the 19mm Hex.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OMIK-Professional-Oil-Filter-Tool-for-Aurion-Rav4-Corolla-AUSTRALIAN-MADE/303231702791?hash=item469a049707:g:1wkAAOSwl5JcJHgj

I do well remember that thread.

Having a set of 6 sided or impact sockets is a good backup for when the usual 12 point sockets are not enough.  https://www.tradetools.com/product-range/hand-tools/socket-sets/renegade-industrial-1-2-10-pc-metric-impact-socket-set

Particularly remembered that photo of your son lying down on the cardboard trying to fix up Dad's stuff up. 😄 Usually it is the reverse. 😬 

Last time I had the car up on ramps, I could have done with some cardboard or an old doona to help cushion my knees getting down on the concrete. Reminder for next time to make the extra effort.  

8 hours ago, campbeam said:

Having a set of 6 sided or impact sockets is a good backup for when the usual 12 point sockets are not enough. 

100%. I did buy me a set of those a while back, particularly for the removal of the fill bolt on the manual transmission in my M3. I tried to undo it with a regular socket and it wouldn't budge and not risking rounding off the hex plug, I waited until my impact sockets arrived and got it off no sweat. It was on pretty tight though, but managed with the use of a breaker bar. I swear by impact sockets.

8 hours ago, campbeam said:

Particularly remembered that photo of your son lying down on the cardboard trying to fix up Dad's stuff up. 😄 Usually it is the reverse. 😬 

Haha, yeah. He's a good boy. Loves helping Dad. I keep large pieces of cardboard handy for not only laying on them but to cover my work car during the hot summer days. When the carport goes up, that will be a thing of the past, thank God !!

Also helps to keep the dew off overnight after I spend an epic amount of time cleaning it. I just remove the sheets of cardboard before I set off and the only part that is dewy is the top of the bonnet, which I quickly wipe over with my microfibre towel.

20210405_163448.jpg

Edited by Tony Prodigy

21 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Remember this thread ?

Cheers! Bugger that theres no postage to NZ though 😞

1 minute ago, nzzr6 said:

Yeah, looks like they just don't offer postage outside of Australia...

Jb5HB4x.png 

Did you message him ? I think he's avoiding International shipping like Europe, Asia and the Americas. I suspect if you contact him he may ship it to you being our Ozzie Neighbour. I think postage to N.Z. has become expensive too. The world has truly gone kooky. 

2 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Did you message him ? I think he's avoiding International shipping like Europe, Asia and the Americas. I suspect if you contact him he may ship it to you being our Ozzie Neighbour. I think postage to N.Z. has become expensive too. The world has truly gone kooky. 

yeah I might give that a go 🙂 

Unfortunately seems like the range of oil filter wrenches in NZ is rather crap... Mostly seem to be all the aluminium ones that warp the moment you try and remove any filter that isn't on hand tight!!

1 minute ago, nzzr6 said:

Unfortunately seems like the range of oil filter wrenches in NZ is rather crap... Mostly seem to be all the aluminium ones that warp the moment you try and remove any filter that isn't on hand tight!!

Haha yeah, I found that out the hard way, which motivated me to search out better ones. All those pressed aluminium ones are rubbish and will break. Not even worth your time. You get what you pay for. Pay a bit extra and it will last a lifetime I say.

I'm liking that one on Amazon too. It's also a machined tool, not pressed.

I remember the day I used my OMIK tool on my filter housing, admittedly was nervous because I was sure I was going to break it. My housing was on extremely tight (stupid me) and when I applied a Ton of force via my breaker bar, I heard a 'crack'. I despaired for a moment thinking, there you go, I've broken another tool and I've never going to get this damned thing off which is why I had a spare housing ready to go if it meant going Medieval on it. When I got in closer and realized the tool was ok and the crack was simply the housing letting go, I was thrilled !. Wow !! What a beast of a tool. If it can survive that much torque it has my utmost respect. Hats off to the guy who thought to make a magnificent, high quality tool. 

You just need to nip it to 25nm, not 2500nm like I did originally 😄

3 hours ago, nzzr6 said:

yeah I might give that a go 🙂 

https://www.omik.com.au/contact 

Just me being a contrarian, I have bought one of these.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Silver-Steel-Special-Oil-Filter-Wrench-Removal-Socket-Tool-Large-Size-Toyota-/154379615065

If you are a professional mechanic or want the best quality tools, get the OMIK.

As mentioned on the OMIK website, competitors have tried to copy with mixed results.

I did find a look a like on eBay being "CNC Machined from billet aircraft grade aluminium and anodized black. The filter remover is used with a 19mm socket/spanner."  It should be better quality than the cheaper ones that Tony broke, I doubt if anything except the OMIK would had passed the "Tony Torque" test.

On 4/6/2021 at 6:25 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

To his credit he did try to add a NZ shipping option but it seems like ebay makes this a clunky affair to change, I've had this before when buying off Australia postage only listings. You'd think ebay would make it easy... Would have been $20 postage here which i was happy to pay