Latest Electric Car News and Developments

Haha, it's becoming somewhat hillarious that car makers will have to evolve more as a 'software' company rather than that of a car company. The so called 'car' will be software with wheels and will practically cease to give us all those sensations we've all been accustomed too. I think the car industry has been hijacked and used as a mechanism to sell software. Tesla has opened up a Pandora's box and the others will have to follow or die and as a consequence, the car will become an empty shell of its former self with no soul.

Imagine us saying, "what kind of laptop do you drive ?" :laugh:

There is just so much more technology in a modern vehicle and integrated into that technology is a lot of software engineering as well as the physical engineering. Demand for this technology is mostly driven by consumer demand. What I find concerning is the amount of underlying technology to achieve a 5 Star crash rating today.

Tesla is leading the way with genuine over the air software updates and Full Self Driving [FSD]functionality. Previous videos have got me thinking that there could be a divergence or pricing differential between the software on wheels approach and an electric car powered by electric motors and rechargable batteries. At the moment I am seeing pricing differences based upon the motor configuration [FWD, RWD or AWD] and battery size. As Tesla advances towards Full Self Driving, it is introducing a monthly subscription service or an outright purchase. I think that it is a smart move to differentiate the market at this stage and to fund development.

Perhaps future car reviews will be talking about which FSD version has been fitted to the vehicle e.g. Tesla, Apple or a Generic similar to how Apple CarPlay or Android Auto is now mentioned as a feature.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/lithium-ion-battery-safety-in-question-131342/?fbclid=IwAR2TATotx19Oni0rJ-fpqakwRN-R0K-dOQG0Y5zLycARtQBe_ZAjM8lMFds

I think manufacturing heads need to start considering other forms of tech to store power. I'd be far far more inclined to buy a Toyota Hydrogen powered car who's energy was produced using the wind/sun than any EV car powered by a battery with a short life span which is inclined to catch fire and/or blow up under your a**.

Did anyone actually hear about this fire in the news? I certainly didn't, perhaps conveniently hushed by Tesla ?

Edited by ZZT86
typo
  • Thanks 1

Following video shows potential hydrogen technology that can be applied to electric vehicles and trucks. Looks like it is a few years away from being available as a replacement or alternative for battery packs.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Oil co's rule yeah ? All politics & $$ in the end. Nice clip Ash, cheers.

1000%. That's the vibe I got too when the Scientist guy mentioned how they were banned for some time and then had to fight the govt to allow them a patent. They will milk every last cent from oil until it's all sucked dry. Politicians and their cronies are still getting rich off the dinosaurs. It is quite disgusting how humanity behaves when there is truck loads of cash involved. The U.S Govt are the worst.

Following video is about another alternative to both EV battery packs and fuel cells. Certainly a lot of food for thought for the drive to zero emmissions and the replacement of fossil fuels.

If this British Company can achieve so much with their development team, then I am sure that Toyota will take notice.

• Like 1

Very enlightening Ash, thank you. Hooray to JCB, an easy & clean alternative to battery & FuelCell tech that is no different in cost to current ICE. I'm betting though that JCBs motor is still requiring oil to lubricate it so it's not 100% clean. Still an easy & immediate changeover from what we have now with little downside & it's 0 emissions.

I think companies like Toyota like to keep to them selves the sort of tech they're able to bring to market, who knows what else they're developing in the background with more than 20 years in Hybrid & now many also in Hydrogen/FuelCell development that it wouldn't surprise me if they have a similar or even completely different approach to what we know now.

I like the electric motor idea as it's likely to be far more reliable with bugger all moving parts (lot's more copper to dig out of the ground though) but powering it quickly, cleanly & cheaply is the biggest hurdle.

I agree with Lord Bamford, lets not be intimidated by Musk & Tesla, lets wait & see what becomes.

1 hour ago, ZZT86 said:

Hooray to JCB, an easy & clean alternative to battery & FuelCell tech that is no different in cost to current ICE. I'm betting though that JCBs motor is still requiring oil to lubricate it so it's not 100% clean. Still an easy & immediate changeover from what we have now with little downside & it's 0 emissions.

Essentially, they have modified an ICE engine to run directly using hydrogen. Interesting how he talked about hours of operation and their collection of real world data with differences between Britain and India.  

The other aspect is the existing pool of expertise for the ICE engine. 

I agree with ZZT86 , an electric motor should be more reliable with fewer moving parts than an ICE but there is still the issues of quality and efficiency. 

I have got a wait and see approach for the next 10 years based upon utilising my existing ICE vehicles. If I was more of an early adopter of EV, then I would be preparing by disposing of any vehicles surplus to immediate requirements. 

Maybe the future will see a plug in hybrid with an engine powered by hydrogen instead of petrol or the availability of hydrogen conversion for existing ICE vehicles. 

• 3 weeks later...

I happened to pull up behind and also followed a Tesla yesterday so had a decent look at the body design. Finally noticed the aerodynamics for the upper rear of the body which narrowed slightly. Sort of reminded me of the Volvo S40 and S60 design and how the design could strengthen the body shell. 

I have been viewing more recent electric car YouTube videos but they seem to be more about speculation than a solid development. Toyota presumably is still working towards a 2022 launch of the bZ4X electric crossover is similar in size to the RAV4. It has previously been reported that the bZ4X will be using the BYD blade battery pack.

Following video about BYD reports a recent battery upgrade for their vehicles so maybe this will also be applied to the Toyota bZ4X.

Today, I just happened to see a later model Lexus 300 with the similar aerodynamic body design and an earlier Lexus model with the boxier design with the same front and rear upper body width. 

It has taken a while and I finally happened to come across this YouTube video posted back in June 2021 about Toyota's BZ4X which I thought was both balanced and informative. Interesting that it is going to be manufactured in both China and Japan.

I have got a few speculative thoughts about the underlying battery pack [BYD Blade battery or an alternative] and pricing compared to the RAV4 Hybrid for the Australian market. 

Just viewed this YouTube video which outlines BYD's future plans of model releases into the Australian market. This should be a worrying concern for the existing manufacturer brands. I can certainly forsee a number of these brands with a low level of sales exiting from the Australian market.

Interesting to see how Toyota will respond in order to maintain their dominant market position. 

On 9/1/2021 at 7:26 AM, campbeam said:

I happened to pull up behind and also followed a Tesla yesterday so had a decent look at the body design. Finally noticed the aerodynamics for the upper rear of the body which narrowed slightly. Sort of reminded me of the Volvo S40 and S60 design and how the design could strengthen the body shell. 

I have been viewing more recent electric car YouTube videos but they seem to be more about speculation than a solid development. Toyota presumably is still working towards a 2022 launch of the bZ4X electric crossover is similar in size to the RAV4. It has previously been reported that the bZ4X will be using the BYD blade battery pack.

Following video about BYD reports a recent battery upgrade for their vehicles so maybe this will also be applied to the Toyota bZ4X.

I suspect it's going to be battery technology that will ultimately dictate which way the market goes. I know there are a multitude of other operational challenges, but this I think will be on top of the agenda.

On 9/1/2021 at 9:04 PM, campbeam said:

Today, I just happened to see a later model Lexus 300 with the similar aerodynamic body design and an earlier Lexus model with the boxier design with the same front and rear upper body width. 

It has taken a while and I finally happened to come across this YouTube video posted back in June 2021 about Toyota's BZ4X which I thought was both balanced and informative. Interesting that it is going to be manufactured in both China and Japan.

I have got a few speculative thoughts about the underlying battery pack [BYD Blade battery or an alternative] and pricing compared to the RAV4 Hybrid for the Australian market. 

I quite like that design by Toyota. I can see myself in one :thumbsup:

This is the latest battle for bragging rights for the Nurburgring electric production car lap. 

https://www.drive.com.au/news/tesla-model-s-plaid-claims-nurburgring-lap-record/?utm_campaign=syndication&utm_source=smh.com.au&utm_content=article_4&utm_medium=partner 

I am sure that Porsche and other german auto makers will respond in due course. Maybe Toyota will throw their hat into the ring one day in the future. 

Watching the in car video of the lap was a lot more relaxing and enjoyable than the latest COVID-19 updates. 

Interesting to hear how hard the tyres are being pushed and the whine of the electric motors is so quiet. Guess when you are driving an electric car by the "seat of your pants", you get to more clearly hear the feedback from the tyres

Wow, that is scary in itself not being able to hear an engine and the different engine notes as you go through the gears and use engine braking to steady the car through your racing line. It just seems so easy to have a crash in an electric vehicle, especially not being familiar with a set race track. You can see the moments the driver over drove it and a very quick correction to avoid a most certain spin.

Not sure what driver aids are built into these Teslas, but that was nerve racking to watch lol.

• 1 month later...

According to this YouTube video, we can expect the Toyota BZ4X to be released in Australia in 4th quarter 2022. Looks like the early adopters are being expected to pay higher prices to recover R&D costs. 

This is a follow up video with more details of the BZ4X just released from Toyota Japan. There was repeated mention of a 300 mile range. However no mention of recharging time and battery lifespan. 

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My good mate John Cadogan has just poured a good dose of facts for a realistic time frame for the expected EV rollout in Australia. Looks like we can expect to see ICE vehicles on the roads for quite a few decades. Perhaps my potential future grandchildren will be having an EV as their 1st vehicle and ICE vehicles will be in the true legacy stage.

• Thanks 1

As per usual, our crappy Aussie infrastructure of anything is incapable of delivering anything. EVs imho are a dumbass idea unless completely green, I mean what's the point of charging your so called green automobile with coal powered energy ?

Then there's the massive hole in the ground we need to dig to make the damn things in the first place - what a green idea 😕  How long do those batteries last ?

Then there's the ridiculous cost . . . . .

8 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

As per usual, our crappy Aussie infrastructure of anything is incapable of delivering anything. EVs imho are a dumbass idea unless completely green, I mean what's the point of charging your so called green automobile with coal powered energy ?

Then there's the massive hole in the ground we need to dig to make the damn things in the first place - what a green idea 😕  How long do those batteries last ?

Then there's the ridiculous cost . . . . .

Cars will quickly become "white goods" and when the batteries go bad, the vehicle will virtually be a write off as the cost of new battery pack will engulf the value the remaing shell it occupies, and when you factor in depreciation, they are a junk proposition. You'll have to buy a new car every 10 years like the way house appliances miraculaously stop working after 10 years. They're getting good at putting the screws in hey ??

Is the world changing for the better ?? I don't think it is. This modern era is crap and it's only going to get worse. I'm glad not to be growing up in these times. The kids of today have no idea what they missed out on in the 70s,80s and 90s. I want to go back and stay there.

• Like 1