Stuck in reverse

Canopy Creations

Hi Champions,

Ive just bought my dream car two weeks ago..

A 2015 White Manual Hilux Sr5 Gun126R.

I'm having some major dramas with the transmission staying in reverse on hills.

I took it back to the dealer on Wednesday and they said they couldn't fault it..

Today i was backing her down a very steep driveway with a mulcher on the back (I'm a landscaper) and the trailer started to head towards the garden.. I took her out of reverse and put in first and she just kept reversing.. I tried putting in neutral and giving it a slight rev to free it up and then put her back in first and still she drove backwards.. Needless to say i got into quite an awkward position and had to take the massive mulcher off and wheel it down the hill, then back my car through their garden because it still would not drive forward when put into first.. I also tried second third and fouth but every time i let that clutch go she drove backwards!!! This is the third time this has happened to me and dealer seems to think i just can't drive..

It even happened a few days ago on a semi flat spot outside a cafe. I jumped back in my car after getting lunch, slapped her in first and she went backwards a touch...nearly drove into the bloke behind me.. Took me ages of putting into neutral and trying to roll a very small bit to free it up and get her to go forward.. Anyone ever experienced this before?? My mate thinks it might be linkages?

Dealer said the fluid levels were fine when they checked it on Wednesday..

Car drives great apart from this.. I'm thinking of just citing my 30day right to return under the premise of major failure before i get hit with a new gearbox bill or something!!

Really sad love the truck and have saved for ages to buy this one for 47k cash in hand! Cheers heaps for any feedback or advice!

Cheers,

Josh

20 hours ago, Canopy Creations said:

I took it back to the dealer on Wednesday and they said they couldn't fault it..

Let me guess. It's a used car dealer and not a Toyota dealership.

I would advise then to take it to a Toyota dealership, have them diagnose the issue, repair it, then send the bill to the yard you bought the car from. Fair Trading have you covered too so don't worry.

What you've described is not normal and there is definitely something wrong there. Either a case of incompetence on the dealer's behalf or plain sherk of responsibility. 

Don't let them get away with it.

Please keep us informed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Let me guess. It's a used car dealer and not a Toyota dealership.

I would advise then to take it to a Toyota dealership, have them diagnose the issue, repair it, then send the bill to the yard you bought the car from. Fair Trading have you covered too so don't worry.

What you've described is not normal and there is definitely something wrong there. Either a case of incompetence on the dealer's behalf or plain sherk of responsibility. 

Don't let them get away with it.

Please keep us informed.

Hi Tony

Thanks for the advice.

I will book it in on Monday to get it looked at. At this point though i think i will use that as evidence to return the vehicle under fair trading 30 day return if faulty policy.

I have spoken to ACC and they offered to facilitate the claim if i need but i shall see how i go alone first.

My uncle is a solicitor and he thinks they will take a long time to give me my money though..

I am traumatised from these events and just want the car gone now.

Think i will just buy an auto sr5.. 😅

Cheers,

Josh

I did a Google search yesterday and I was expecting that the selector cables need to be adjusted. However, it is something that I have never had to do on any of my vehicles.

Just done another search this morning and this link appears to be more comprehensive in possible causes. 

https://cartreatments.com/car-wont-go-in-reverse/ 

Good idea that you are going to book the vehicle in on Monday for an independent inspection.

Please let us know whether it is just a simple repair or something more involved and expensive.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Canopy Creations said:

Hi Tony

Thanks for the advice.

I will book it in on Monday to get it looked at. At this point though i think i will use that as evidence to return the vehicle under fair trading 30 day return if faulty policy.

I have spoken to ACC and they offered to facilitate the claim if i need but i shall see how i go alone first.

My uncle is a solicitor and he thinks they will take a long time to give me my money though..

I am traumatised from these events and just want the car gone now.

Think i will just buy an auto sr5.. 😅

Cheers,

Josh

Hopefully the inspection uncovers something minor that can be adjusted out otherwise It would be a dereliction of duty on behalf of the dealer who sold you the car without it having gone through a comprehensive check and road test. What were they thinking ?

Don't despair though, The Hilux is a great car. You just copped some very rare bad luck it seems but I'm sure whatever it is can be sorted under your warranty. For me personally I would've purchased an auto if it were a V6 or turbo diesel but not the 4cyl variant.

Look forward to your update.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, campbeam said:

I did a Google search yesterday and I was expecting that the selector cables need to be adjusted. However, it is something that I have never had to do on any of my vehicles.

Just done another search this morning and this link appears to be more comprehensive in possible causes. 

https://cartreatments.com/car-wont-go-in-reverse/ 

Good idea that you are going to book the vehicle in on Monday for an independent inspection.

Please let us know whether it is just a simple repair or something more involved and expensive.  

Hi Campbean,

Thankyou for your feedback it is appreciated.

The car will go into reverse though.

The problem i am having is when i am on a steep hill and even one time on a very small incline.

I reverse the car, everything seems fine, i don't notice any weird noises.

Then if i need to drive forward, it does not go into first gear.

To be more specific it goes into gears, its not hard to push the gearstick into the relevant gears, but when i release the clutch it drives backwards as if i hadnt taken it out of reverse at all!

Very scary..

It has happened to me four times now but sometimes it is also fine..

1) When i was reverse parked on a very slight angle. I grabbed a coffee and came back, put my car in first and it just kept creeping backwards..I had to mess around for ages to try get it to drive forwards again.

2)Reversing a large trailer down my clients driveway off a VERY steep street..i misjudged it and needed to correct but could not get the car in first so i basicially jack knifed the trailer and had to get him to help me out with his landcruiser..Very embarrassing...

3) On a dirt road being graded..Stopped at the construction light and put it in neutral. This time i didn't even put it in reverse first, just neutral from first as i was creeping up behind some other drivers and we stopped at the lights.  When i tried to again put it into first it acted as if i had put it in reverse and drove backwards!!  I nearly backed into someone and had to put my hazards on and wave them past. After a few mins of letting it roll backwards i managed to get it into first and drove off again. Again VERY embarrassing...

Took it to the dealer, they had a look at it and checked fluid etc

Even took if for a drive and tried backing it down hills to reproduce and could not fault it.

I got it back and hoped everything was ok and maybe just the fluid was low..

4) Then yesterday happened..

I had a mulcher on the back from Kennards..Drove up my clients steep driveway and parked up the top..after 6 hours mulching greenwaste i tried to reverse back down her very skinny driveway with a slight bend and started to back the mulcher towards her garden.

Yes it seems i am not the best at reverseing trailers first go..i always need to correct them up a few times..Anyway..

Again i put it in first hoping that it had been fixed and she just kept creeping back..to the point where it was in their garden!...I took a video of what happened to show the dealer also..

Then things went really wrong..

I pulled the hardbrake up and put her in first and turned it off. The only way i was going to get out of there was if i take the mulcher off and wheel it down her steep driveway then back the car through the garden..

I took the trailer off and the car started rolling back and jammed my arm inbetween it and the mulcher, i ripped my arm free in the adreneline and ran to the drivers side, pulled the door open and jumped on the brake..

I chucked some rocks under the wheels quickly and went to see what had happened behind..

In this process the mulcher had jackknifed so hard against the tray i had to pull it free with quite a bit of force scratching the tray and the mulcher..

I looked at my arm and it was like a golf ball on my forearm near my wrist where it had hit me..

I managed to drag the mulcher down the hill onto the flat and then backed my car through the garden...as i did this i hit the front wheel arch and slightly dented it on a tree which i have managed to pop back out...

So yeah, i am really traumatised from this whole process.

It took me so long to save the cash for this car and i have no words for how dissapointed i am..

Hopefully they just accept the return with no hassle i want nothing to do with this car anymore..

Cheers,

Josh

Edited by Canopy Creations

6 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Hopefully the inspection uncovers something minor that can be adjusted out otherwise It would be a dereliction of duty on behalf of the dealer who sold you the car without it having gone through a comprehensive check and road test. What were they thinking ?

Don't despair though, The Hilux is a great car. You just copped some very rare bad luck it seems but I'm sure whatever it is can be sorted under your warranty. For me personally I would've purchased an auto if it were a V6 or turbo diesel but not the 4cyl variant.

Look forward to your update.

Hi again Tony,

I do intend to buy another Hilux. I think i will pay to get it checked next time though..

I bought the manual because i have to tow reasonable loads for my landscaping business and heard they are more reliable and don't break as easy towing etc!

For your reference its a white 2015 2.8 Sr5 Gun126r N80 with only 70k on the clock..

So right on the cusp of the new models..I have wanted one with the new lights etc for so long haha!

Thanks again for your advice 👍

Cheers,

Josh

Edited by Canopy Creations