OBDII Code:P0017 (Help Please)

Boa83

I was recently doing a service on a 2009 Toyota Corolla Ascent ZR152R 1.8L Auto (motor: 2ZRFE) and I accidentally removed the Timing Chain Tensioner, it sprung out at me pretty fast & scared **** out of me so I bolted it straight back in & didnt realise what I had actually removed & how serious this mistake was until the Engine Light came on & i connected OBDII Scanner.      A few kms up the road the Engine light came on the dash so I connected my OBDII Reader to find Code: P0017  (Camshaft/Crankshaf Position Correlation Bank 1-Sensor B).

I replaced the Timing Chain Tensioner with a new one, cleared the fault Code:P0017 & disconnected the -Negative Battery Terminal for over 1minute to reset the sensors learned values. Fault code:P0017 was erased but returned within a few minutes along with Wngine Light on the dash, so with the OBDII Scanner still connected & the car idleing I unplugged the Cam Position Sensors + the Crankshaft Position Sensor (disconnected 1 at a time & checked Codes) they all registered new codes for each sensor that was disconnected at the time of fault so I'm pretty sure they are all ok.  I'v checked over the engine for any loose/worn connectors & everything looks good.  I also changed the engine oil 5W-30 & filter + put new Spark Plugs in while I was going.  I'm wondering if the Timing Chain may have jumped a tooth when I accidentally removed the Tensioner as it did spring out pretty hard & fast.  Now the car does idle a little bit low at 666rpm but it still drives fine. Everytime I delete Code:P0017 it keeps coming back on within a few minutes & I'm unsure what to do from here so any advice would be greatly appreciated.  If the timing has jumped a tooth shouldnt it be either running really rough or not at all? 

Is it possible to check Timing without taking apart the motor?  If not, can I get away with only removing the Tappet Cover to re-adjust the Timing Chain or do I also need to remove all the Pulley's, Engine Mount & Sidecase (Chain Cover) to make sure the Crankshaft Timing Mark is still alligned at the bottom?

This isn't my car as I was doing my aunt a favour & doing a service for her for free, I stuffed it up so now the repair costs are coming out of my pocket so i need the cheapest, quickest & easiest way to repair (if there is one). Cheers for everybody's help in advance.

Screenshot_20210830-093115_Gallery.jpg

Interesting situation that you have got yourself into and quite a few lessons to be learnt.

Please note that I have got no direct experience with working on 2ZRFE motor or removing/replacing a timing chain tensioner.

As per the following YouTube video, it makes sense to start with confirming the timing marks which will involve removing the valve cover. Hopefully you have installed the timing chain tensioner correctly.

This is a better YouTube video showing the install and release of the locking tab on the timing belt tensioner.

As per this URL, something else to consider is to check the camshaft oil control valve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcj-f_J2hyo

Please let us know what the end solution.

6 hours ago, Boa83 said:

I accidentally removed the Timing Chain Tensioner, it sprung out at me pretty fast & scared **** out of me so I bolted it straight back in

Not sure why you'd be poking around in there in the first place. According to your post it was "accidental" ? You could have just re installed it without getting a new one if it was still ok. In that case, I would've stopped everything, go online and look up 2ZR-FE cam chain tensioner replacement and go from there.
When you say you replaced it with a new one, was it a Genuine Toyota part or some generic ??

I watched that second video a while back funnily enough for no apparent reason. I found it to be quite soothing as well as educational. Funny how the Yank version has a gasket seal and the other has the O'ring. The latter is most likely a "kaizen" improvement by Toyota.

Another thing was the rotation of the crankshaft. The American went counter clockwise and the Euro guy went Clockwise. Probably doesn't really matter hey ?

Not sure how the simple action of removing the tensioner and replacing it would have an effect as described by the O.P. 
I really don't think it's possible for it to jump a tooth either. Very strange. I'd pull it back out and follow the steps outlined in the videos.

Look forward to the end solution too.

I thought that the 2nd video was a lot more informative and I have viewed a number of videos by that presenter.

Interestingly enough there was no mention when removing the tensioner about it springing out. Maybe that was an oversight based upon prior knowledge to expect tension.

It might be possible that the timing chain has skipped a tooth if the new tensioner was not released prior to starting the engine.

Without knowing more background as to why the vehicle was being serviced and the reasons for working around the timing chain tensioner area, we can only speculate. One possibility is that the vehicle has not had regular oil changes and the camshaft oil control valve needs a thorough clean.

Far better to have the knowledge of the end solution then we can speculate as to the underlying cause and the preventative action going forward.

2 minutes ago, campbeam said:

It might be possible that the timing chain has skipped a tooth if the new tensioner was not released prior to starting the engine.

Yes that makes sense. Having prior knowledge can avoid the pitfalls and traps. The last stage of the install is to rotate the engine by hand until the there is an audible click signalling that the tensioner has sprung back out.

I wonder if the engine performance has changed too after O.P had taken it for a drive. A skipped tooth on the timing should contribute a more sluggish feel do you think ?

41 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Yes that makes sense. Having prior knowledge can avoid the pitfalls and traps. The last stage of the install is to rotate the engine by hand until the there is an audible click signalling that the tensioner has sprung back out.

I wonder if the engine performance has changed too after O.P had taken it for a drive. A skipped tooth on the timing should contribute a more sluggish feel do you think ?

Past experience has been more with advancing the distributor timing so that the engine idles very smoothly. 

No direct experience with a skipped tooth on the timing belt/chain. However, previous partner had some work done on her Toyota Corona at a local garage. It was not running right and she took it back but not resolved. Ended up taking it to her regular RACQ mechanic who identified that the timing was incorrect and rectified it.