Stock 05 Stivo Vs. Stock 03 MX5 roadster

Define Race?

If its drags, u'll beat him hands down.

If its twisty roads, and u're a normal driver driver (not initial D racer) u'll find he'll eat up what you gain on the straights in the turns

twisties are more driver focused then the drags. drags are easy, its just timing. A robot could do a drag.

twisties are challenging. it depends on general experience as well as that particular road/track experience.

I don't think that's fair pairing it up with a 206..

why not?

just found out the 06 MX5 power not sure about the previous shapes.

118kW at 6,700 rpm & 188Nm at 5,000 rpm.

yer sorry i should have defined race but yer i meant a drag since the MX5 handles like a knife around corners.....but like 2bnvd said it would be a close race indeed...so ultimately i think it comes down to the driver and the launch i guess. We can always be hypothetical about it but it will never beat first hand experience so for anyone else looking at the topic plz tell if u raced 1 n wat exactly happened?

thanx again for the interesting replies hehe.

In regards to a stivo compared to a new MX5 I can say in a 1/4 mile drag Stivo wins unless the driver really screws up, but the margin will not be huge if both equally driven. If it's in gear acceleration the MX5 will pull hard on the Stivo if the Stivo driver is out of lift. The new MX5 is producing most of it's torque from as low as 1500rpm's so to pull away the Stivo really doe's need to be in lift, but in lift it will pull away!

Around a track the Sportivo will loose by a large margin if equally driven. My first time out at Winton in the MX5 my lap times were 3-4 seconds quicker than the the 2 boys in their stivo's were able to manage with the Oz mazda boys a couple weeks ago, but remember on track the drivers skill is by far the biggest factor.

Around Winton the new mx5 appears to be about 2 seconds a lap quicker than the previous model so I would say the previous model will be beaten by the Sportivo in most things except around the track. Just remember the MX5 was never intended for any kind of real performance in a straight line, it is all about corners... As lucio previously said!

Without corners the Sportivo will win every time!

Straight line i dragged a previous model MX5 once, it had some mods but NA, my Stivo was new with only a few thousand kms and still had sticky gearshift/clutch and was stock. 1st gear he jumped me and i only caught up at end of 2nd gear. There was no way he could have won but do remeber that was around 2 years ago when my car was stock and hadn't had the recall done.

Then a couple of months ago i was racing bends and straights with an RX8 and a 04-05' MX5 (1800cc - 115kw?, 6 speed), in gear acceleration on the straights the MX5 had no chance of keeping up with my Stivo with my minimal mods, i even had an extra 75kg passenger. He tried to pass me on the outside several times but everytime he did i would gun it in 2nd and 3rd gear and that was it he had to get back in line behind me :D

And in regards to twisties, the 2 RWD Mazdas were superior especially at hairpins, even with my Whiteline and Koni bits. I believe the road conditions that day weren't favourable for my stiffer and lower suspension, i was rubbing guards and bouncing around a lot, on the smoother surfaces i believe i have a better chance.

And in regards to twisties, the 2 RWD Mazdas were superior especially at hairpins, even with my Whiteline and Koni bits. I believe the road conditions that day weren't favourable for my stiffer and lower suspension, i was rubbing guards and bouncing around a lot, on the smoother surfaces i believe i have a better chance.

That's one thing most do not realise... The wetter it gets the more compliance/softer you want the suspension to be. The one thing that is really fun on the track is the way the RX8 and MX5 can really monster the much more expensive performance cars in the corners. The Porches may pull away on the straights but boy do they look unhappy when we sit right up their coiters on the bends :huh: :D