2022 Toyota Corolla Cross

I happened to view a recent video by The Car Nut where he does a quick technical review of the 2022 Toyota Corolla Cross. That particular vehicle was manufactured at a new Toyota factory in Alabama USA.

Although I am not a great fan of crossovers and SUVs, what I found interesting was that technically Toyota has focussed upon a functional reliable vehicle. 

Apparently, the 2022 Toyota Corolla Cross is set to arrive in Australia in the second half of 2022. 

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2022-toyota-corolla-cross-2-0-litre-hybrid-and-petrol-power-set-for-australia/ 

• 1 month later...

2 hours ago, prron said:

I have a 2022 Corolla Cross.  The beeping will drive you insane. 

Beeping as in all the warning crap that keeps going off ? 

I haven't been in any latest model Toyota car to experience all the gadgetry and nanny state safety stuff so I have no idea what to expect. My 2020 Colorado hasn't any nor does my humble 2012 Aurion, but I think I understand what you mean.

On 1/2/2022 at 7:26 PM, campbeam said:

I happened to view a recent video by The Car Nut where he does a quick technical review of the 2022 Toyota Corolla Cross. That particular vehicle was manufactured at a new Toyota factory in Alabama USA.

Although I am not a great fan of crossovers and SUVs, what I found interesting was that technically Toyota has focussed upon a functional reliable vehicle. 

Apparently, the 2022 Toyota Corolla Cross is set to arrive in Australia in the second half of 2022. 

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2022-toyota-corolla-cross-2-0-litre-hybrid-and-petrol-power-set-for-australia/ 

Worth a look I reckon. For those who want or prefer the smaller platform vehicle with the advantages of an SUV for space and versatility, I can see it being very popular when the space around us keeps shrinking and costing more. 

It beeps when you get in the car. Beeps when you get out of the car. It beeps when the lights are on. It beeps LOUDLY for the late seat belt.  It beeps when a door is a jar, It beeps for all kinds of crap.  I would not recommend this crappy car to anyone.  Toyota should be ashamed of themselves. 

Edited by prron
info
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, prron said:

It beeps when you get in the car. Beeps when you get out of the car. It beeps when the lights are on. It beeps LOUDLY for the late seat belt.  It beeps when a door is a jar, It beeps for all kinds of crap.  I would not recommend this crappy car to anyone.  Toyota should be ashamed of themselves. 

I'm pretty sure you should be able to disable some or all of the beeps with the use of a high end scanner. If you have your car serviced by Toyota, just ask them about it. 

I may be wrong, but I think I also heard this may also be possible through the head unit. Have a read of your owner's manual. There could be something in there about it.

3 hours ago, prron said:

Is this your first new car in a long time?  Countless other new cars have warning beeps for just about every function you have listed

Carista has told me how to do it.  Scanner $130 + app.  I already have the BlueDriver but it will not work Carista.  Support at BlueDriver told me they had a moral obligation to not change the safety features. ...

Edited by prron
More info

35 minutes ago, prron said:

Support at BlueDriver told me they had a moral obligation to not change the safety features. ...

Safety features.. pffft. More of an annoyance really some of those unnecessary chimes. We did just fine without them all those years ago and we're still here 😄

If you are able to disable the chimes, then it's your choice really. I would.

I don't need the car to signal to me when entering or exiting, leave a door ajar etc. Common sense should always prevail right ? It's all part of the responsibility of being a good driver.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Had troubles finding a Corolla Cross thread which is odd considering it’s brand new to Australia. 

Found this, but there’s only one page of discussion and nothing since Feb 22?

Am I looking in the wrong place or is there seriously no discussion for a brand new car to Australia apart from these few posts?

Anyway, any news on the next Cross, 22/23 model?

Current Cross was on sale to public 12th October 22 so been almost a year, new model should be out any day now if it’s a yearly cycle?

8 hours ago, DebrisSella said:

Hi all,

Had troubles finding a Corolla Cross thread which is odd considering it’s brand new to Australia. 

Am I looking in the wrong place or is there seriously no discussion for a brand new car to Australia apart from these few posts?

Current Cross was on sale to public 12th October 22 so been almost a year, new model should be out any day now if it’s a yearly cycle?

1) In general, forums are dead or dying.  Facebook nailed the coffin shut several years ago, you occasionally come across some signs of life but they are the exception rather than the rule.  Expect tumbleweeds

2) Most forums are based around enthusiasts or modifiers to some degree, even though TOCAU is an "Owners Club" most of the owners here have intents on making their car better.  The Corolla Cross isn't much of an "enthusiast" car.

3) It just isn't that popular to begin with.

4) Toyota Japan/Australia doesn't tend to do annual iterations of cars other than updating the year (and maybe something small like a headunit upgrade or more safety equipment) and selling the leftovers from the previous year as a runout.  The typical model year cycle is approx 4-6 years, with a mid-life facelift, so we're still a year or two away from any significant changes.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 12:02 PM, DebrisSella said:

is there seriously no discussion for a brand new car to Australia apart from these few posts?

I noted the validity of the points made by Hiro.

Actually I consider the few posts to be an indicator of good news. As expected, it is a functional reliable vehicle so the owners are busy enjoying their purchase and not complaining, at least at this early stage. Any issues would be subject to warranty and should be resolved by the dealers. Allow a few more years then expect posts about the usual items requiring replacement e.g. tyres, battery, etc. Maybe posts about increased servicing costs after the fixed price servicing period ends.

• 2 months later...
On 10/8/2023 at 12:02 PM, DebrisSella said:

Hi all,

We are all waiting for delivery!

As to new model - Late December a new version was released with a Gen5 Hybrid engine and a new format of lithium battery that is lighter and more powerful - Ordered mine early June - according to the dealer I'm 5th on the list with the top two in production. It's listed as going into production December but he reckons more likely Jan or Feb