painting eyelids using spray gun and touch up paint

hi there guys, i got my eyelids today.i just would like to know if i could paint it using touch up paint and spray gun? i need anyone advices whether its possible or its not.thx

It'll look better if u use a spray can.

autobarn/repco .. can match ur paint by the model colour of ur car located in the engine bay.

cost u around $25-30 for a can.

hi there guys, i got my eyelids today.i just would like to know if i could paint it using touch up paint and spray gun? i need anyone advices whether its possible or its not.thx

It'll look better if u use a spray can.

autobarn/repco .. can match ur paint by the model colour of ur car located in the engine bay.

cost u around $25-30 for a can.

oh ic..what is the difference if im using touch up paint and spray gun?so if i use spray paint.

Agreed!

You could use your touch up paint but you would need to thin it down with thinners.

Better off using the spray can and a steady hand.

ic....well it helped me alot....thank you guys for ur advice...^_^

btw, one more thing, do you guys know how to take off the trunk door handle.because it is black.i just would like to match it with my car.any idea?

guess if u use the can u can spray a few coated layers .. with touch up paint it might not turn out very smooth therefore it might have bubbles in some curtain areas.

ohh ic.ok thanks for your advice, mate. i'll do that and post pics when its done ^_^

Agreed!

You could use your touch up paint but you would need to thin it down with thinners.

Better off using the spray can and a steady hand.

ic....well it helped me alot....thank you guys for ur advice...^_^

btw, one more thing, do you guys know how to take off the trunk door handle.because it is black.i just would like to match it with my car.any idea?

Hey I'd Like to know how to take ALL the door handles off...

I wanna spray mine toO!

Well its entirely up to you which way u do it but IF you do have access to a spray gun and a compressor you will definately get a better finish off the gun than u will with a spray can (no matter how many coats you put on the eyelids) reason being through a spray gun with a "constant" air-pressure it will atomise the paint better (finer) than any spray can regardless of the size of the spray can and will leave a less grainy noticable spray where with a spray can the caps continually get blocked and the can loses pressure causing the paint to spit!! Which in turn leaves co**** spatters on the eyelids "looks sheit" unless you coat the crap out of it with colour and then rub back the paint with like a 2000 grit sand paper then apply a clear coat!! Rub back the clear and then give it a heavy buff-up with a cut and polish then just give it a light wax!! like a carnuba for example!! Other wise use the spray gun with your thinned out touch-up paint and then just put a clear over it......It isnt always so easy to get a panel finish on an item unless you have had some experience in using a spray gun but for such a small item u wont notice imperfections as much!!! :) ;) ;)

tsk tsk...havne't u read my EL CHEAPO thread? :angry: ...it's worth ur while to just get it done at a panel beaters, u could probably get ur mudguards colour coded too, for $50 bucks! I've tried DIY with a can...that really sucked a$s -but good luck with it if u chose to go forward with it :)

Well its entirely up to you which way u do it but IF you do have access to a spray gun and a compressor you will definately get a better finish off the gun than u will with a spray can (no matter how many coats you put on the eyelids) reason being through a spray gun with a "constant" air-pressure it will atomise the paint better (finer) than any spray can regardless of the size of the spray can and will leave a less grainy noticable spray where with a spray can the caps continually get blocked and the can loses pressure causing the paint to spit!! Which in turn leaves co**** spatters on the eyelids "looks sheit" unless you coat the crap out of it with colour and then rub back the paint with like a 2000 grit sand paper then apply a clear coat!! Rub back the clear and then give it a heavy buff-up with a cut and polish then just give it a light wax!! like a carnuba for example!! Other wise use the spray gun with your thinned out touch-up paint and then just put a clear over it......It isnt always so easy to get a panel finish on an item unless you have had some experience in using a spray gun but for such a small item u wont notice imperfections as much!!! :) ;) ;)

"Stands up on a box" ..... introducing the master of the spray can aka Silverbullit. :lol:

Firstly the danger of using your touch up paint is if it has sat long enough it will have gone hard or if exposed to heat the paint in the bottle actually changes colour or the paint just simply goes off and looks crap. But as RUNX said if you've got a spray gun and know how to use it then do it. But make sure your gun is spotless clean and also the items your spraying.

Remember painting is 90% preparation and 10% painting for a great result. :D

"Stands up on a box" ..... introducing the master of the spray can aka Silverbullit. :lol:

Firstly the danger of using your touch up paint is if it has sat long enough it will have gone hard or if exposed to heat the paint in the bottle actually changes colour or the paint just simply goes off and looks crap. But as RUNX said if you've got a spray gun and know how to use it then do it. But make sure your gun is spotless clean and also the items your spraying.

"HERE, HERE" Mr SILVABULLIT!!!!! IT DEFINATELY IS 90% PREP 10% PAINT!!!!!

And he should know ... his DIY painted headlight cover eyelids are testament to his skill and knowledge!

DIY Eyelids ...

so you guys reckon i'd better use spray gun and touch up paint?well if you say so, i'll just have to go with it.so first of all, i had to mix the touch up paint wif thinner? then after mixing it then i'll just fill the spray gun with the paint, rite?or i can just fill up the spray gun wif the touch up paint THEN i fill with thinner?where to buy and what kind of thinner?

so you guys reckon i'd better use spray gun and touch up paint?well if you say so, i'll just have to go with it.so first of all, i had to mix the touch up paint wif thinner? then after mixing it then i'll just fill the spray gun with the paint, rite?or i can just fill up the spray gun wif the touch up paint THEN i fill with thinner?where to buy and what kind of thinner?

i reckon you should just go to a panel beater/spray painter.

If you were in Sydney i'd recommend you go to DSports who charge $20~$30 to spray.

Pickup the yellow/white pages and call up to see what prices you get.

Door handles will cost more to get done professionally as they need to take off the inside of the door to get to the handle, most wont just spray it on cos they know its looks crap.

Here the thread with the prices of painting.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...=5745&hl=dsport

Edited by neK

i reckon you should just go to a panel beater/spray painter.

If you were in Sydney i'd recommend you go to DSports who charge $20~$30 to spray.

Pickup the yellow/white pages and call up to see what prices you get.

Door handles will cost more to get done professionally as they need to take off the inside of the door to get to the handle, most wont just spray it on cos they know its looks crap.

Here the thread with the prices of painting.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...=5745&hl=dsport

door handles u need to remove the inside paneling and it is connected with a screw and clip.

for the rear door and side moulding u could probably get away with preparing the area and taping it all off and then spray it

don't use the touch-up paint if you can help it...

i have cascade blue paint, and my touch-up paint was WAY darker than my actual car.. i touched up a few scratches, looks *******.

yea i had the same problem too.

When i got bumper repainted the guy kindly gave me some paint, matched much better than the one Toyota gave me... too bad im a crappy painter.

If you've never used a spray-gun before, don't do it.

Plus if you don't have one and a compressor, by the time you hire one, purchase the paint, thinner, etc it's cost you just as much as just getting it done at a panel shop which will do a better job because of their experience.

But if you have all the equipment and used it before, go for it.

brrr...now im confuse...heheh well im not in sydney unfortunately....hmmm....well i guess i should try either one of them. well thanks for your help guys!!appreciate it hehe

Thats why you pick up the phone book at work and call as many spray painters/panel beaters as possible.

Eventually you will get one thats honest and charge you a fair price. (I had ppl quote me $100 to get my grill painted, i eventually found a place that would paint it for $20!)

Probably take you longer to attempt a DIY than to make some phone calls.