Mazda 323/3 vs Toyota Corolla Drag re-match

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm this could be good fun indeed...unless they pull out some heavily worked/stripped cars, they will get their @r$es handed to them...

I would love to come up and throw my tuned 1zz down the quater against some Mazdas, although probably won't have sussy done unfortunately...and there is also the issue of the date, i shall check my calender.

hmmm this could be good fun indeed...unless they pull out some heavily worked/stripped cars, they will get their @r$es handed to them...

I would love to come up and throw my tuned 1zz down the quater against some Mazdas, although probably won't have sussy done unfortunately...and there is also the issue of the date, i shall check my calender.

mate we didnt get our "@r$es handed to us" last time....

power doesnt win drag races

torque does. SBs sportivo was, at the time, making masses of power at the wheels more then twiggy, and was about a second off the pace if memory serves.

our "worked" cars develop more torque at lower RPM then the stivos. ok granted twiggy was the only guy out there pulling in quick times...but he'll run 14.7s all day long. I'll be running around 15.4 if i get the racing header, sports exhaust, cold air, plugs and leads and T1Rs on the car. The BJ 323's are not as unrespectable as you might think.

Ok we're not driving state of the art engines with lift and all the bells and whistles. But we are driving torque monsters due to short rod ratios, and we'll hold our own.

If i had to bet money, i'd say we'll get beaten...yes. The CES headers some of the stivos are running now will definantly make them much quicker, and Northy's machine is something I can't wait to see (was the big disappointment of the last drag day for me.....really itching to see it run this time!)....so yes, we'll probably not be the fastest out this time. But I think you would be surprised at just how well we can keep up.

Ok we're not driving state of the art engines with lift and all the bells and whistles. But we are driving torque monsters due to short rod ratios, and we'll hold our own.

If i had to bet money, i'd say we'll get beaten...yes. The CES headers some of the stivos are running now will definantly make them much quicker, and Northy's machine is something I can't wait to see (was the big disappointment of the last drag day for me.....really itching to see it run this time!)....so yes, we'll probably not be the fastest out this time. But I think you would be surprised at just how well we can keep up.

if we come up from NSW i'll be there with my non lift too !!! ...

its not all about the stivos .... although it is most of the time !!! :) :)

oh i am keen to see some worked 1zz's run..

should be on a par with the exhaust/intake guys (i.e. me!) from our side.

my car is not really "worked" as such ...

so is that date finalised for sure ???

Yes yes it is.

15th of July. Would really really love to see stacks of cars racing... Mazdas and Toyotas, taking up a whole staging lane :lol:

torque does. SBs sportivo was, at the time, making masses of power at the wheels more then twiggy, and was about a second off the pace if memory serves.

our "worked" cars develop more torque at lower RPM then the stivos. ok granted twiggy was the only guy out there pulling in quick times...but he'll run 14.7s all day long. I'll be running around 15.4 if i get the racing header, sports exhaust, cold air, plugs and leads and T1Rs on the car. The BJ 323's are not as unrespectable as you might think.

14.8 to 15.4 =.6 if my maths serves me correctly :P But then we'll also be closer to level playing field with the Corolla's running a gutted shell and some with "drag radials" which reportedly don't make a difference :P :P :P Decent clutch hopefully this time for me so no slippage or shifting issues <_<

14.8 to 15.4 =.6 if my maths serves me correctly :P But then we'll also be closer to level playing field with the Corolla's running a gutted shell and some with "drag radials" which reportedly don't make a difference :P :P :P Decent clutch hopefully this time for me so no slippage or shifting issues <_<

Yeh get a new clutch! mines on the way out... 20 odd runs down the quartermile on mine, the last 10 at 4000rpm...stocko clutches are just not built for that sort of abuse!

I was simply pointing out that it wasnt at all the whitewash it was touted to be last time. and i doubt it will be this time.

and you know my thoughts on drag radials. The numbers speak for themselves. The difference between twiggys street T1S tyres, and his BFGs is about 0.02 sec over 60 feet... But hey hey, if you wanna get them by all means. Anything goes this time....so should be interesting. What tyres you buying? BFGs? Hopefully my contact at toyo australia can sort me out with some T888s for cheap cheap.... though they are not strictly drag tyres..being designed for track work, they have buggerall sidewall flex....Better then shagging my already shagged street tyres though!

Given the fact that its been put back a month, gives everyone time to put the mods they've got sitting under their bed for a rainy day on their cars!

we need to manage a good healthly competition between the clubs ....

healthly being the key word ...

im really keen and glad that 2 clubs can get together and just enjoy a day with our cars ...

and only for this reason that im happy to drive all the way there !! ...

and fingers cross I can tweak my car a tad more by then !! :)

there is one of my friends who expressed an interest for the next drag day we had (meaning this one). He wants to race the Toyota boys. He drives a turboed Hilux ute. Now i realise its no competition for the SP20's and Stivo's, but it will give the turbo Astinas something to aim for?......

there is one of my friends who expressed an interest for the next drag day we had (meaning this one). He wants to race the Toyota boys. He drives a turboed Hilux ute. Now i realise its no competition for the SP20's and Stivo's, but it will give the turbo Astinas something to aim for?......

Why not mate invite him along after all he's driving a Toyota ;)

Why not mate invite him along after all he's driving a Toyota ;)

oh yeh why not. If you have supra friends bring them too.. dunno whether it'll upset anyone having things way outside of the class racing against them, but its an open event...cant stop anyone from coming, and we all like looking at cars and seeing fast times!

saw a hilux out there last night....was it your mate? didnt see it run....was too busy waiting around int he staging lanes for an hour between every run...grr....oh well, least we had nice cars to look at, including a very late model 911 GT3 - full race setup....that thing was niiiice...haha - got pounded by a XR6-T though.

The more the merrier!... our turbo guys dont really have much from your side to compete against, since there are not that many recent model FI rollas around the traps.... surely someone around here owns a dirty old rolla with a huge turbo?????

Man I am so looking forward to this, even if I end up not running and just spectating. I think that this can be used as a great relationship builder between the clubs. Why rival when we are all in for the same thing.....fun.....

Lets have bucket loads of fun and race on !!!!!

Corey, you getting your sister to bring the 1ZZ?