Stivo fuel choice...

Just a quick post for all you stivo owners out there.....what type of fuel do you use most frequently?

whether it be BP ultimate, caltex vortex 98, optimax, etc........

i would be really interested to know why (e.g. cost efficient, etc.).....as i am weighing up which way to go...

thanx to all of those for your input.

I've read an artical in a RACV mag and they reckon the Caltax vortex 95ron perform better then Mobil 8000 and optimax. The only thing thats better is the BP ultimate.

I've using BP for a long time but swtich to caltax lately and haven't had any problem with the car

I always use vortex98 because of woolies dockets. Last time I used shell i got 50kms less then from vortex.

I would use optimax extreme if there was a servo that sold it near me.

doesnt optimax extreme contain ethanol?

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId...ut_extreme.html

Yes it does, 5% ethanol. Screw that lol. I hate the crap, it can stay out of my car. Oh and Synergy 8000 and Vortex 98 are the exact same thing, given that Caltex own's Mobil now (you can ask micky_tee, his old man own's a Caltex down here.)

not owns... just supplies... to most places anyway, all the capital cities for a start... Moobil sold its refinery in Aus... only 2 main ones left now i think... Caltex and Shell... should check on that really.

I always use Optimax Extreme, unless I cant find anywhere that has it, but there are about 5 servos in Brisbane that have it, so I'm never too far from one.

It does contain 5% ethanol. If anyone can show me proof of this fuel damaging an engine (with only 5% ethanol), then I will stop using it, but I reckon the extra octane has gotta be good for such a highly strung engine like the 2zz.

BP Ultimate or Mobil Synergy 8000

i used Mobil for every fuel up in Melbourne because they were everywhere, i think i have seen 2 or 3 Mobil's here in Brisbane and none of them are near me, so i use BP now

I always use Optimax Extreme, unless I cant find anywhere that has it, but there are about 5 servos in Brisbane that have it, so I'm never too far from one.

It does contain 5% ethanol. If anyone can show me proof of this fuel damaging an engine (with only 5% ethanol), then I will stop using it, but I reckon the extra octane has gotta be good for such a highly strung engine like the 2zz.

It's still an additive octane. It's not pre-formulated like Vortex or Ultimate. My 2zz ran much better once I found this out and switched from extreme to 98. Grab Caltex's 101 octane race fuel haha (you have to have a permit too lol) now that's good. WOOHA lol. We all have different tastes tho. I'm just very paranoid about ethanol.

i think the fuel ferrari uses is slightly different from the fuel available over the counter here in aus... just slightly :P

BTW dont the F1's all use the same fuel? i thought they used elf stuff, or maybe thats just the WRC? i dunno... its been awile since i paid much attention to that stuff

u could always just go buy some avgas from the nearest airport... if only that was still legal... dammit.

It's still an additive octane. It's not pre-formulated like Vortex or Ultimate. My 2zz ran much better once I found this out and switched from extreme to 98. Grab Caltex's 101 octane race fuel haha (you have to have a permit too lol) now that's good. WOOHA lol. We all have different tastes tho. I'm just very paranoid about ethanol.

i wouldnt be so keen on buying ethanol based fuel either... not with plastic fuel lines and all that... but hey if the government has allowed it then it must be good yeah? :unsure: :unsure:

as far as i know, (it may have changed recently though) Optimax is a 95RON unleaded with octane booster to lift it to 98RON. mix that with ethanol... doesnt seem exactly a "clean" fuel to me. and also, ethanol isnt an octane booster, so why is it classified as 100RON? i'd like to do some testing... if i could be bothered :P

Vortex 98 gives more power than Optimax

BP gives less power

really? :unsure::unsure:

optimax "cleans" ur engine while u drive :D

but i use it cause i shop at Coles and dad gives me his additional 4c/10c off vouchers from his Source Mastercard :lol::lol::lol:

i wouldnt be so keen on buying ethanol based fuel either... not with plastic fuel lines and all that... but hey if the government has allowed it then it must be good yeah? :unsure: :unsure:

I'm not 100% certain on this but usually you only have to worry about using ethanol when hitting the 50% pure mark as thats about what you need to kill most plastic.

5% is gonna do 2/5s of fsck all

Yeah F1 cars use better fuels (each team use different ones/bands).

Ferrari road cars are "highly recommend" to use Optimax

Marketing. Ferrari and Shell have a business relationship. That's the only reason they're telling people to use it. It's all about image, and Shell wanted Ferrari to give them an image. Trust your feelings, don't be told what to use. Decide for yourself man. I used to use Optimax as well. Then I opened my eyes. Shell are having trouble here locally anyway. Ever since Caltex and Woolworths formed a strategic alliance they've been appearing everywhere. The Shell servo down the road just got turned into a Caltex. There's a Caltex servo popping up every minute. I have to say, I'm glad about it too.

Oh and Optimax Extreme? It's still 95RON with a an additive to boost it to 100RON. Once Shell decide to properly formulate a 98RON or 100RON fuel like BP, Mobil and Caltex have done, then I may give them some thought.

Edited by oO_CorollaSportivo03_Oo

Thanks for your concern. But I do trust my feelings and I choose to use Optimax. I have tried Caltex and others, and found Optimax does v.well in my 1zz, plus im getting great mileage out of it (might be different story with 2zz, i dunno). Not saying the other fuels are crap or not as good as Opti but i use it case i get better value.

BTW Shell is doing v.well here in Bris their always packed when i go to fill up.

Edited by DHC09

Thanks for your concern. But I do trust my feelings and I choose to use Optimax. I have tried Caltex and others, and found Optimax does v.well in my 1zz, plus im getting great mileage out of it (might be different story with 2zz, i dunno). Not saying the other fuels are crap or not as good as Opti but i use it case i get better value.

BTW Shell is doing v.well here in Bris their always packed when i go to fill up.

Ahh 1zz. I think the extensive headwork in the 2zz makes it picky. Interesting. Vortex 98 is better (I think so anyway) for the 2zz. I filled up 5 times in a row with Extreme and the only thing I noticed was poor fuel economy and no difference in power :S 1zz must be a different story then. MUST BE. Shell are still good. It least it's not like the fuel from a Dala Habibi Kwikimart or anything lol. At the end of the day thank *** for Shell, Caltex, BP and Mobil.

Edited by oO_CorollaSportivo03_Oo